Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DeVonta Smith could make our offense unstoppable.
Forget drafting an offensive lineman in the first round - get one in FA.

DeVonta Smith would solidify our WR group as the best in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2020, 04:54 PM)willieFANderson Wrote: Forget drafting an offensive lineman in the first round - get one in FA.

I really like DeVonta Smith, but I like Ja'Marr Chase and Kyle Pitts even more. I also like Smith's teammate Jaylen Waddle.
If the Bengals can properly address OL in FA and are comfortable with their CBs, another premier pass catcher would be a great luxury.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2020, 05:04 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I really like DeVonta Smith, but I like Ja'Marr Chase and Kyle Pitts even more. I also like Smith's teammate Jaylen Waddle.
If the Bengals can properly address OL in FA and are comfortable with their CBs, another premier pass catcher would be a great luxury.

Ja’marr Chase and Jaylen Waddle are better 1 on 1 wr in the short to intermediate field with Jaylen Waddle being the most athletic and best deep threat. But Waddle’s game comes with its own concerns.

I think DeVonta Smith plays more intelligently/flexibly which I think would translate as the best of the three for our team. His film shows that he routinely busts deep secondary coverage because of his decision making meaning that given NFL defenses that have the ability to compete with WR like Waddle 1 on 1, I expect Smith to play better within the team/scheme whereas it seems that Alabama had to specifically design plays to get Waddle 1 on 1 coverage. This is very similar to the issue we had with John Ross.

Ja’marr seems to be less of a concern but my vote:

Smith -> Chase -> someone else besides Waddle (I don’t particularly like players with his game.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2020, 04:54 PM)willieFANderson Wrote: Forget drafting an offensive lineman in the first round - get one in FA.

I get you have been watching bama ball out and you think this is a hot take, but Smith is uncomparable with Chase.  Built in chemistry with a guy that plays like anquan boldin 2.0 

people overthink this way to much

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2020, 05:34 PM)Okeana Wrote: I get you have been watching bama ball out and you think this is a hot take, but Smith is uncomparable with Chase.  Built in chemistry with a guy that plays like anquan boldin 2.0 

You take the best player.  You don't take a guy just because he was a college teammate.

This team sorely lacks speed on the outside.  I would be shocked if Chase ran better than 4.5.  We need a guy with a different dimension. 

I don't think you take a WR at 5 with the depth of this group.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2020, 06:29 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Same thing was said about John Ross. You know what will take the offense to the next level? A better line that opens running lanes and protects the QB.

Nah, huge difference between a guy that can do more than run a 4.2

Would Smith make this offense better?  Sure, but so would 4-5 other WRs in this year's draft.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2020, 06:28 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: You take the best player.  You don't take a guy just because he was a college teammate.

This team sorely lacks speed on the outside.  I would be shocked if Chase ran better than 4.5.  We need a guy with a different dimension. 

ah yeah ignore the fact that the combo put up the best QB/receiver record in CFB history and he dropped near 1800 yards out performing the best WR in this years draft who has immediate success in the NFL.  Sorry but no

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
I like Smith too, but if I were to pick between him and Chase, I’d take the receiver that has natural chemistry/elite level success with Joe Burrow. Chase caught a lot of deep balls from Burrow.

My preference would be building up the offensive and defensive lines to elite caliber though. It doesn’t matter what weapons you have on the outside if you can’t block or rush the passer.

That said, if BPA when we pick is Chase, that’s an easy pick.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2020, 06:28 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: You take the best player.  You don't take a guy just because he was a college teammate.

AJ Green ran a 4.5 and was an elite WR1 for many years. A guy doesn't have to be a speed guy to be effective.
As long as they get a guy under 4.6, that should suffice.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-30-2020, 07:04 PM)ochocincos Wrote: AJ Green ran a 4.5 and was an elite WR1 for many years. A guy doesn't have to be a speed guy to be effective.
As long as they get a guy under 4.6, that should suffice.

I saw a current evaluation that Chase got his time down to 4.4

That is enough for his style of play ThumbsUp
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I like Pitts. If Bengals win against Ravens, it could drop them quite a bit in draft. If that is case, Pitts, Darrisaw, D. Smith, maybe a CB.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(12-30-2020, 06:52 PM)Okeana Wrote: ah yeah ignore the fact that the combo put up the best QB/receiver record in CFB history and he dropped near 1800 yards out performing the best WR in this years draft who has immediate success in the NFL.  Sorry but no

If I am taking a WR I am definitely taking Chase.

Ja'Marr Chase 6'0,  207 lbs with a 4.40 - 40 Yard Dash
Stephon Diggs 6', 194 lbs with a 4.43 - 40 Yard Dash
Justin Jefferson 6'1", 203 lbs with a 4.43 - 40 yard dash

They are all going to be great wide receivers in the NFL. Chase already was Burrows go to guy at LSU.
That should carryover to the NFL really quick.

I could be talked into numerous guys. I do like Kyle Pitts giving us a new dimension at TE we have not had since Eifert.
He would also be great in the Red Zone at 6'6".
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2020, 05:34 PM)Okeana Wrote: I get you have been watching bama ball out and you think this is a hot take, but Smith is uncomparable with Chase.  Built in chemistry with a guy that plays like anquan boldin 2.0 

This.

Also, Smith is not more of a deep threat than Chase. Chase averaged 21.2 yards last year. Smith has never had an average that high in any season.

Reply/Quote

Chase has already run a 4.40 this year.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2901256-lsu-wr-jamarr-chase-running-440-40-after-being-clocked-at-466-in-high-school

Reply/Quote
(12-30-2020, 06:52 PM)Okeana Wrote: ah yeah ignore the fact that the combo put up the best QB/receiver record in CFB history and he dropped near 1800 yards out performing the best WR in this years draft who has immediate success in the NFL.  Sorry but no

Chase set SEC records in both yards and TD’s playing with Burrow. And Jefferson (who you pointed out Chase was better than) is grading out at 90.3 right now. Honestly he’d win OROY if not for Herbert also lighting it up.

I get “take the best player” but imo Chase is the best WR coming out, and even if you disagree you have to admit it’s super close, so why not give Joe his guy? It’s a dream scenario.

Reply/Quote
If chase isn’t on the board just draft Pitts. Line him up at receiver some times and tight end the others. Yeah he isn’t much for blocking but you still have to stop him with linebackers and small corners good luck.

Draft your right tackle at 2. Whatever.
Reply/Quote
Ja'Marr Chase is the more complete receiver out of Smith and Waddle.

Chase has that explosion off the line of scrimmage but he is also physical at the stem and at the catch point. He is very good locating the ball in the air and turning 50/50 balls into 80/20 and for a QB that likes to throw those back shoulders Chase is the perfect pick. He also has that 205 to 210 build that makes him so difficult to bring down in space.

Edit: Oh if you're questioning Chase's speed watch him blow by the Falcon's first round 4.42 corner AJ Terrell in the CFB championship several times.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I think after the combine Smith will be WR#1 entering the draft. Chase won't impress off the field.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2020, 12:40 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I think after the combine Smith will be WR#1 entering the draft. Chase won't impress off the field.

How so?
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
The conversations we are having this year has been better in recent memory because of all the opt outs and questions this year.

It’s been more fun with the possibilities
Reply/Quote