Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DeVonta Smith could make our offense unstoppable.
(12-31-2020, 10:53 AM)ochocincos Wrote: How so?

He doesn't have elite measurables.  He'll also have to explain his choice to opt out in interviews.

Meanwhile you have The Slim Reaper playing for National Championships and Heismans
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2020, 03:27 PM)bfine32 Wrote: He doesn't have elite measurables.  He'll also have to explain his choice to opt out in interviews.

Meanwhile you have The Slim Reaper playing for National Championships and Heismans

Opting out from the season you mean?
I guess Sewell, Slater, Rousseau, Parsons, Farley, Twyman, Sage Surratt, and the others all need to as well? 
I think it's pretty obvious why they chose to opt out, and that shouldn't be held against them.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2020, 05:18 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Opting out from the season you mean?
I guess Sewell, Slater, Rousseau, Parsons, Farley, Twyman, Sage Surratt, and the others all need to as well? 
I think it's pretty obvious why they chose to opt out, and that shouldn't be held against them.

Really no need for the snarky attitude.

As to the bolded:

I'm not so sure.

Parsons opted out because he has a young child and feared exposure. 

Players in the Big 10 and PAC 12 opted out after their conferences cancelled seasons and simply didn't opt back in

Chase opted out because he could and signed with an agent

But yes; it's a question each will have to answer.

Interviewer? "You opted out of college football last year, why could we expect you not to do the same if given the option this year in the NFL?"

One answer none of them will be able to give: "Because I put my team above myself" 

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2020, 05:36 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Really no need for the snarky attitude.

As to the bolded:

I'm not so sure.

Parsons opted out because he has a young child and feared exposure. 

Players in the Big 10 and PAC 12 opted out after their conferences cancelled seasons and simply didn't opt back in

Chase opted out because he could and signed with an agent

But yes; it's a question each will have to answer.

Interviewer? "You opted out of college football last year, why could we expect you not to do the same if given the option this year in the NFL?"

One answer none of them will be able to give: "Because I put my team above myself" 

The root cause of all of it is because of COVID.
If it were me and I was already a projected top pick, I wouldn't want to risk my own health or those in my family that I might interact with, as my stock really couldn't have gotten higher.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2020, 05:44 PM)ochocincos Wrote: The root cause of all of it is because of COVID.
If it were me and I was already a projected top pick, I wouldn't want to risk my own health or those in my family that I might interact with, as my stock really couldn't have gotten higher.

You'd feel no obligation toward your team mates that may need this year to improve their chances of getting a job?

You'd feel no obligation toward the coach and team that recruited you and offered you the chance?

You'd only worry about yourself?

As I said; they'll all have to answer these questions. But the answer will not be "because I'm a team player". 

It'll be up to the organizations how much that matters.

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2020, 08:43 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You'd feel no obligation toward your team mates that may need this year to improve their chances of getting a job?

You'd feel no obligation toward the coach and team that recruited you and offered you the chance?

As I said; they'll all have to answer these questions. But the answer will not be "because I'm a team player". 

Answer: "Covid19 has a good chance of damaging the lungs that could put my future in Jepordy."

I honestly don't believe opting out in a questionable year like 2020 will be an issue. It will all be about the Draft workouts.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2020, 08:48 PM)Synric Wrote: Answer: "Covid19 has a good chance of damaging the lungs that could put my future in Jepordy."

I honestly don't believe opting out in a questionable year like 2020 will be an issue. It will all be about the Draft workouts.

So does playing football. 

I'm not sure of the numbers but I wonder how many folks got Covid from actually playing football and what the percentage is compared to the rest of the Nation. Seems all the precautions and testing they take make it pretty safe.

I disagree; folks that didn't opt out showed where their heart is. How much was Lawrence or Fields going to improve their stock by playing?

Give me a dog that laced them up. 

But as I said: The only answer is "I was looking out for #1". 

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2020, 09:08 PM)bfine32 Wrote: So does playing football. 

I'm not sure of the numbers but I wonder how many folks got Covid from actually playing football and what the percentage is compared to the rest of the Nation. Seems all the precautions and testing they take make it pretty safe.

I disagree; folks that didn't opt out showed where their heart is. How much was Lawrence or Fields going to improve their stock by playing?

Give me a dog that laced them up. 

But as I said: The only answer is "I was looking out for #1". 

I can only look at how they played if they decided to opt out in a crazy year with a virus that could damage their future I am not going to hold it against them.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2020, 09:15 PM)Synric Wrote: I can only look at how they played if they decided to opt out in a crazy year with a virus that could damage their future I am not going to hold it against them.

So if you were conducting interview you wouldn't ask the question?

I would and I'd make it as hard to answer as possible.

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2020, 08:43 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You'd feel no obligation toward your team mates that may need this year to improve their chances of getting a job?

Didn't the Pats have 8 guys opt out? Should they all be cut using your standards of team over health and family?
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2021, 12:12 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Didn't the Pats have 8 guys opt out? Should they all be cut using your standards of team over health and family?

Well it is the first time in 20 years that NE didn't make the playoffs. I guess we'll have to wait and see what Bill does.

As I said reports are that Chase opted out because he could sign with an agent; not COVID concerns. 

As I've also said: It's a question he should have to answer and if I were asking it; I'd make it hard to answer. The exact same standard I'd place on any player that opted out. 

You and others can spin it as some moral higher decision of protecting their families, but then you degrade every player that went out there on Saturdays. 

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2020, 09:43 PM)bfine32 Wrote: So if you were conducting interview you wouldn't ask the question?

I would and I'd make it as hard to answer as possible.

I wouldn't give 2 shits and i wouldn't ask the question. 

I would ask you why you want an athlete to put their team ahead of their loved ones. Do they have more of a responsibility to the team than family?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2021, 12:59 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Well it is the first time in 20 years that NE didn't make the playoffs. I guess we'll have to wait and see what Bill does.

As I said reports are that Chase opted out because he could sign with an agent; not COVID concerns. 

As I've also said: It's a question he should have to answer and if I were asking it; I'd make it hard to answer. The exact same standard I'd place on any player that opted out. 

You and others can spin it as some moral higher decision of protecting their families, but then you degrade every player that went out there on Saturdays. 

That's total bullshit.

Why don't you ask the NFL why it's more important to take the steps they have and move games because of Covid, rather than play them on schedule.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2021, 01:05 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: That's total bullshit.

Why don't you ask the NFL why it's more important to take the steps they have and move games because of Covid, rather than play them on schedule.

Yeah, you're kinda killing your own argument. As I mentioned earlier the protocols (contact tracing, constant testing,ect...) could make playing the game safer that going to Walmart. But kudis to these kids for putting family first and quarantining this year. 

If I were a prospect and had the option of being asked these 2 questions:

Why did you play?

Why did you not play?

I know which one I'd like to answer.   

Reply/Quote
(01-01-2021, 01:36 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Yeah, you're kinda killing your own argument. As I mentioned earlier the protocols (contact tracing, constant testing,ect...) could make playing the game safer that going to Walmart. But kudis to these kids for putting family first and quarantining this year. 

If I were a prospect and had the option of being asked these 2 questions:

Why did you play?

Why did you not play?

I know which one I'd like to answer.   

I get it now. You're the guy that trusts everyone 100% to follow protocols so that you're not exposed at any point. 

Protocols don't make playing the game safer. They mitigate the chances of contracting the virus (in a perfect world). But as you see, it hasn't stopped scores of players, coaches and FO personnel from getting it, even with the strict protocols in place. 

You know what's safer than NFL protocols, which makes it safer than going to Walmart? Not going to the facilities or games in the first place. 

I guess where we differ is, i don't judge people negatively for following their conscience (or whatever they use) by deciding not to put themselves or their family at risk. It's a personal decision that's made, against a very real and deadly virus, that gives me absoutely no right to judge someone on. 

I don't know...maybe you missed the part where african americans are 3x more likely to get the virus and die than caucasians. In case you didn't know, the NFL is 70% black.

P.S. I never kill my own argument. :)

Reply/Quote
(01-01-2021, 02:23 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I get it now. You're the guy that trusts everyone 100% to follow protocols so that you're not exposed at any point. 

Protocols don't make playing the game safer. They mitigate the chances of contracting the virus (in a perfect world). But as you see, it hasn't stopped scores of players, coaches and FO personnel from getting it, even with the strict protocols in place. 

You know what's safer than NFL protocols, which makes it safer than going to Walmart? Not going to the facilities or games in the first place. 

I guess where we differ is, i don't judge people negatively for following their conscience (or whatever they use) by deciding not to put themselves or their family at risk. It's a personal decision that's made, against a very real and deadly virus, that gives me absoutely no right to judge someone on. 

I don't know...maybe you missed the part where african americans are 3x more likely to get the virus and die than caucasians. In case you didn't know, the NFL is 70% black.

P.S. I never kill my own argument. :)

Okey Dokey

Reply/Quote

Well, I went to college for myself, and it's my responsibility to get my own job. I am not going to rely on the help of others to do so.
If you're going to use that logic, then shouldn't there be critique for any player who enters the draft early vs staying through their full eligibility?
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-01-2021, 04:20 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Well, I went to college for myself, and it's my responsibility to get my own job. I am not going to rely on the help of others to do so.
If you're going to use that logic, then shouldn't there be critique for any player who enters the draft early vs staying through their full eligibility?

Even if you take Covid out of it, if you pull out the scales and put 3-4 years of non-paid college play against 10+ years of professional, paid football, which one is more important?

I get his argument. Responsibility to your committment. I just don't think it holds much water because Universities certainly profit off the talent and i doubt they really would feel any responsibility for a players future earnings if they were to get a devastating injury while playing college ball. 

How many colleges have stepped up and supplimented a guys income because he was injured playing, while he rehabbed after leaving the school? Let alone paid the difference of the money that was lost due to a drop in the draft. Where's the responsibility there?

Reply/Quote
Getting back to the Slim Reaper...Damn

Reply/Quote
(01-01-2021, 12:59 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Well it is the first time in 20 years that NE didn't make the playoffs. I guess we'll have to wait and see what Bill does.

I will to try and not get snarky, I respect you too much for that. I never said I would not ask those who opted out the question, Chase, Sewell and many others opted out. As I watched Smith today, the decision may have cost Chase some money and draft position as Smith played and played like a stud, while no one has seen Chase play for a year.

I own a business that has not shut down, but I will not put anyone's job  in jeopardy for not wanting to take the risk due to the virus. Most need to work so even though they may have some fear, they need to support their family. My employees are all stars to me, but not NFL of high level college players. But, in the end, I am not sure it matters if you are rich or poor, everyone has to make decisions that are best for them.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote