Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DeVonta Smith could make our offense unstoppable.
He's looking absolutely amazing tonight, but the announcers just pointed out something that matters a lot to me as well, and that's him not trash-talking, being all business, etc. That's our kinda guy, an AJ-attitude kinda guy. I like that a lot.
Reply/Quote
I am concerned with his small stature but if he can learn not to take the big hits.... he may be worth it.

Antonio Brown comes to my mind as a comparison... sans the headache.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
Mixon has spoken

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2021, 11:56 PM)QueenCity Wrote: I am concerned with his small stature but if he can learn not to take the big hits.... he may be worth it.

Reminds me a lot of Chad Johnson.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2021, 11:56 PM)QueenCity Wrote: I am concerned with his small stature but if he can learn not to take the big hits.... he may be worth it.

His frame is a big reason I have Chase over him.  Still, kid totally dominated tonight until.he left the game.  It will be interesting to find out if he could have returned if the game was close.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
No. Just no. No, no, NO! We need to stop being distracted by shiny objects like a barracuda and think about the team for once. Would you put a thumpin' stereo in a car with no engine? Would you buy a 60" flat screen television in a house with broken windows?
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2021, 09:20 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: No. Just no. No, no, NO! We need to stop being distracted by shiny objects like a barracuda and think about the team for once. Would you put a thumpin' stereo in a car with no engine? Would you buy a 60" flat screen television in a house with broken windows?

All the silly analogies aside, if they do the right thing in FA (bring in some upgrades on the OL) a weapon like Smith would be an amazing addition. There’s a reason these guys go as high as they do. And it’s not because GM’s get “distracted” and forget how to build teams.

Reply/Quote
(01-12-2021, 09:20 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: No.  Just no.  No, no, NO!  We need to stop being distracted by shiny objects like a barracuda and think about the team for once.  Would you put a thumpin' stereo in a car with no engine?  Would you buy a 60" flat screen television in a house with broken windows?

Pretty bad analogy.  WR's are an integral part of the game, not a creature comfort luxury item.  
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2021, 10:16 AM)Whatever Wrote: Pretty bad analogy.  WR's are an integral part of the game, not a creature comfort luxury item.  

Hmm, some purists might argue that blocking and tackling are the fundamental components of football.  

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2021, 09:20 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: No. Just no. No, no, NO! We need to stop being distracted by shiny objects like a barracuda and think about the team for once. Would you put a thumpin' stereo in a car with no engine? Would you buy a 60" flat screen television in a house with broken windows?

The problem is you don’t want to reach at 5 for a need. You want to draft BPA, if BPA happens to also be a need, then it works out.

If Sewell is the only OL worth a top 5 pick and he isnt there, then you need a shortlist of players worth the pick or find a trade option that’s worth it. There most likely will be one WR available at 5 that will be worth the selection. It might be BPA
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2021, 11:04 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Hmm, some purists might argue that blocking and tackling are the fundamental components of football.  

Oh, totally.  That's why every team in the league lines up with a FB instead of a 3rd WR on the majority of downs.

Blocking and tackling are fundamentals, but that doesn't mean passing, route running, coverage, etc are not very important parts of the game.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2021, 01:36 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Yeah, you're kinda killing your own argument. As I mentioned earlier the protocols (contact tracing, constant testing,ect...) could make playing the game safer that going to Walmart. But kudis to these kids for putting family first and quarantining this year. 

If I were a prospect and had the option of being asked these 2 questions:

Why did you play?

Why did you not play?

I know which one I'd like to answer.   

This is the dumbest take on this forum ever.
Reply/Quote
Elite WR Analytics strongly favor players who performed at a younger age, had target share, performed highly and against good competition.

Chase did all that at 19. The analytics are off the chart as well as about any WR prospect ever.

Smith did it at 22 and that's a red flag, along with his size. He looked amazing. He blew past a college linebacker really well. It's going to be a little different in the pros. I am not saying he won't end up being good. But no way I take him at 5.

He is far outside the analytics of what the Bengals draft.

Smith is maxed out. Chase is just getting started.
Reply/Quote
If MIA chooses to stick with Tua (I would), it makes sense for them to pair Smith with him because of the familiarity at Alabama.
On the flip side, it makes sense to put Chase with Burrow because of their familiarity at LSU.

I expect both Smith and Chase to be good WRs in the NFL. Smith is a bit more proven because he's had 3 seasons of growing production, but he's older than Chase and about 25 lbs lighter. Chase only had one real season but it was dominant, and he was only 19 years old. He did better than teammate Justin Jefferson, who just put up 1400 yards and 8 TDs as a rookie.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-15-2021, 04:42 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Cool story from his injury during the NCG. Looks like it was what I thought when I saw the slo-no replay and his right index finger was just flopping around independent from his hand

https://www.si.com/.amp/college/2021/01/15/alabama-medical-tent-devonta-smith

I've pointed out before; one of his greatest traits is character. One thing you know about the kid: he's going to give you everything he's got. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I like his attitude and quickness, but the kid looks 160 something pounds soaking wet with small ankles. I don't think he is 175 pounds or maybe it is his frame because he doesn't look it. He is a playmaker for sure in college. I could see him running a crossing route and exploding upon impact by a backer or safety in the NFL.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(01-15-2021, 06:13 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I like his attitude and quickness, but the kid looks 160 something pounds soaking wet with small ankles.  I don't think he is 175 pounds or maybe it is his frame because he doesn't look it.  He is a playmaker for sure in college.  I could see him running a crossing route and exploding upon impact by a backer or safety in the NFL.

Perhaps we should give more consideration to the girth of ankles. 

My new benchmark for a WR prospect: Cankles.

Damn the fact that he's been an ironman in college. It's those damn small ankles. 

Reply/Quote
(01-15-2021, 11:13 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Perhaps we should give more consideration to the girth of ankles. 

My new benchmark for a WR prospect: Cankles.

Damn the fact that he's been an ironman in college. It's those damn small ankles. 

Being durable in college doesn’t necessarily translate to the NFL though. I don’t think Eifert had any injury issues at Notre Dame (just one example).

He’s definitely going to get hit a lot more at the next level.

Reply/Quote
(01-15-2021, 11:45 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Being durable in college doesn’t necessarily translate to the NFL though. I don’t think Eifert had any injury issues at Notre Dame (just one example).

He’s definitely going to get hit a lot more at the next level.

Any insight on the circumference of Eifert's ankles?  

Reply/Quote
(01-16-2021, 12:16 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Any insight on the circumference of Eifert's ankles?  

[Image: QKU8tR.gif]

Reply/Quote