Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deadline for Contract Extensions?
Is there a team/league deadline for players to sign extensions before the first game of the season or have to wait until after the season is over?

I seem to recall there being big pressure for Geno Atkins to sign an extension before the season started in 2013, in which he signed Sept 3.
AJ Green signed his extension on Sept 11, 2015. The first game of the season was Sept 13.

The reason I ask is because the Bengals typically try to sign their players to extensions before the season starts and extensions don't happen in the middle of the season.

Specifically, here's an excerpt from Jim Owczarski about Green's extension...
Jim O. Wrote:After nearly reaching a deal on Thursday afternoon, The Enquirer has learned the Cincinnati Bengals and star wide receiver A.J. Green have come to terms on a long-term contract extension, just an hour before the club's deadline to get the contract worked out and the team took off for Oakland.
http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2016/03/04/cincinnati-bengals-aj-green-contract-extension/71643144/

This makes me wonder if this means players like Burfict and Eifert won't in fact get contract extensions done this year and instead see what happens after the season?
Also, does that mean the team will "roll-over" their approximate $17 mill in cap space to next year?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I know that tagged players have a certain amount of time to work out an extension.

I didn't think other players did...although teams and agents sometimes don't like to negotiate during the season.
Reply/Quote
I'm not sure but I don't think there's any NFL rule about extensions during a season ? It's just that most teams/players won't fool with it after the season gets going.
Reply/Quote
There is no official deadline but typically the Bengal's will table any offers once the season starts.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(09-06-2017, 03:40 PM)pally Wrote: There is no official deadline but typically the Bengal's will table any offers once the season starts.

This is correct. Some teams, the Bengals included, don't want extensions to distract during the season so a day or two before the 1st regular season game is usually the deadline.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2017, 04:11 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: This is correct. Some teams, the Bengals included, don't want extensions to distract during the season so a day or two before the 1st regular season game is usually the deadline.

That's what I assumed. And the Bengals have a bad record (at least in recent years) of actually retaining players after the season is over and they are about to hit FA. Those players typically seem to prefer checking out what they can get on the open market, come back to the Bengals to see if they will match/exceed, and ultimately sign elsewhere for more incentives.

Therefore, if the Bengals don't get and extension done with Burfict or Eifert within the next couple days, I'm not expecting these players to be Bengals next year.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-06-2017, 04:47 PM)ochocincos Wrote: That's what I assumed. And the Bengals have a bad record (at least in recent years) of actually retaining players after the season is over and they are about to hit FA. Those players typically seem to prefer checking out what they can get on the open market, come back to the Bengals to see if they will match/exceed, and ultimately sign elsewhere for more incentives.

Therefore, if the Bengals don't get and extension done with Burfict or Eifert within the next couple days, I'm not expecting these players to be Bengals next year.

I don't see Burfict leaving. This team has bent over backwards for him and he seems to recognize that. I could easily see him turn down a bigger offer if the Bengals offer something close to it. Eifert moving on wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2017, 03:40 PM)pally Wrote: There is no official deadline but typically the Bengal's will table any offers once the season starts.

(09-06-2017, 04:11 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: This is correct. Some teams, the Bengals included, don't want extensions to distract during the season so a day or two before the 1st regular season game is usually the deadline.

Thanks guys as i was curious about this as well.

(09-06-2017, 04:47 PM)ochocincos Wrote: That's what I assumed. And the Bengals have a bad record (at least in recent years) of actually retaining players after the season is over and they are about to hit FA. Those players typically seem to prefer checking out what they can get on the open market, come back to the Bengals to see if they will match/exceed, and ultimately sign elsewhere for more incentives.

Man i sure hope we get Burfict signed at the very least, this would royally suck man.
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2017, 04:56 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I don't see Burfict leaving. This team has bent over backwards for him and he seems to recognize that. I could easily see him turn down a bigger offer if the Bengals offer something close to it. Eifert moving on wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

Agree,

And if Eifert can't stay on the field a little more is he worth trying to sign ?
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2017, 06:44 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Agree,

And if Eifert can't stay on the field a little more is he worth trying to sign ?

I think so, but definately needs to be taken into consideration as it would with any team.
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2017, 03:30 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I'm not sure but I don't think there's any NFL rule about extensions during a season ? It's just that most teams/players won't fool with it after the season gets going.

I can see why. Once it starts, you don't want to rush to sign until you see what happens during the season.

Reply/Quote
(09-06-2017, 04:56 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I don't see Burfict leaving. This team has bent over backwards for him and he seems to recognize that. I could easily see him turn down a bigger offer if the Bengals offer something close to it. Eifert moving on wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

No team is going to make him a big offer. The Bengals will be the only team who offers him more than a 1 year deal.

He's 2 personal fouls away from a season-long ban...and a 3rd away from a career ban.
Reply/Quote

The tag for these guys is also an option. It is not overly expensive for a TE or LB.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2017, 11:15 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: The tag for these guys is also an option. It is not overly expensive for a TE or LB.

Good point. This is a valid option, but I disagree LB is not overly expensive. It's just about as expensive as most other positions. Safety and TE are the lowest non-K/P tags, right around $10 mill.

Here were the tag numbers for each position for 2017. I expect it will go up somewhat for 2018.

Quarterback:  $21.268m
Running back: $12.120m
Receiver: $15.682m
Tight end: $9.780m
Offensive line: $14.271m
Defensive end:  $16.934m
Defensive tackle: $13.387m
Linebacker: $14.550m
Cornerback: $14.212
Safety: $10.896m
Kicker/punter: $4.835m

Source - http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2017/03/nfl_free_agency_2017_franchise_transition_tag_numb.html
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-07-2017, 09:32 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: No team is going to make him a big offer. The Bengals will be the only team who offers him more than a 1 year deal.

He's 2 personal fouls away from a season-long ban...and a 3rd away from a career ban.

Wouldn't matter how long the contract is if the player is banned. He could have a 50 year contract, but if he's banned nobody has to pay him.  Hopefully he's not banned. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(09-07-2017, 11:28 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Good point. This is a valid option, but I disagree LB is not overly expensive. It's just about as expensive as most other positions. Safety and TE are the lowest non-K/P tags, right around $10 mill.

Here were the tag numbers for each position for 2017. I expect it will go up somewhat for 2018.

Quarterback:  $21.268m

Running back: $12.120m
Receiver: $15.682m
Tight end: $9.780m
Offensive line: $14.271m
Defensive end:  $16.934m
Defensive tackle: $13.387m
Linebacker: $14.550m
Cornerback: $14.212
Safety: $10.896m
Kicker/punter: $4.835m

Source - http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2017/03/nfl_free_agency_2017_franchise_transition_tag_numb.html

There are also other ways to tag versus the franchise tag. They could put a first round tender on them for example I do believe which is less expensive, they can match it or the team gives them their 1st round pick. I think both woukd qualify for tender franchise tags.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2017, 11:41 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: There are also other ways to tag versus the franchise tag. They could put a first round tender on them for example I do believe which is less expensive, they can match it or the team gives them their 1st round pick. I think both woukd qualify for tender franchise tags.

Here are the types of franchise tags:
Quote:Non-exclusive franchise tag: This is the most commonly used tag. When most people refer to the "franchise tag" it's generally the non-exclusive version to which they are discussing. It is a one-year tender offer to a player for an amount no less than the average of the top five salaries at the player's position over the last five years, or 120 percent of the player's previous salary, whichever is greater. The player can negotiate with other teams. The player's current team has the right to match any offer, or receive two first-round picks as compensation.
Exclusive franchise tag: A one-year tender offer to a player for an amount no less than the average of the top five salaries at the player's position for the current year, or 120 percent of the player's previous salary, whichever is greater. The player's team has all negotiating rights to the player. The bump in pay scale (current average salary versus averaging past five years of data) means only the crème de la crème get this tag (think: Drew Brees or Von Miller).
Transition tag: Think of this as the "you are pretty good, and we might want to keep you, but aren't willing to put a ring on you ourselves" tag. The transition designation is a one-year tender offer to a player for an amount that is the average of the top 10 salaries at the position -- as opposed to top five. It guarantees the original club the right of first refusal to match any offer the player might receive from another team, but no compensation if the team chooses not to match.
Each team can only use one of the above tags in a given year -- meaning they can't designate both a franchise and transition player. A player can be tagged up to three times by his team, with a bump in pay each time.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000785958/article/what-to-know-about-nfl-franchise-tag-designations

I believe what you are referring to is the RFA designation, which neither Burfict nor Eifert are eligible for.
Quote:Who qualifies as a restricted free agent?

A restricted free agent is any player with an expiring contract who has exactly three accrued NFL seasons. An accrued season is defined as a player being on a team for at least six regular season games, although practice squad designation doesn’t count. The reserve physically unable to perform (PUP) list for non-football injuries also doesn’t count as an accrued season.
https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2017/3/8/14834554/nfl-restricted-free-agents-rules-tender-amounts
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-07-2017, 11:48 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Here are the types of franchise tags:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000785958/article/what-to-know-about-nfl-franchise-tag-designations

I believe what you are referring to is the RFA designation, which neither Burfict nor Eifert are eligible for.
https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2017/3/8/14834554/nfl-restricted-free-agents-rules-tender-amounts

TY for the facts. It is hard to keep this crap straight

It appears the one with using top 10 versus top 5 is an option.

But, it really comes down to how each play in 2017. Can they stay healthy and in Burfict's case out of trouble will dictate their next contract with us or someone else.

Reply/Quote
(09-06-2017, 12:06 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Is there a team/league deadline for players to sign extensions before the first game of the season or have to wait until after the season is over?

I seem to recall there being big pressure for Geno Atkins to sign an extension before the season started in 2013, in which he signed Sept 3.
AJ Green signed his extension on Sept 11, 2015. The first game of the season was Sept 13.

The reason I ask is because the Bengals typically try to sign their players to extensions before the season starts and extensions don't happen in the middle of the season.

Specifically, here's an excerpt from Jim Owczarski about Green's extension...
http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2016/03/04/cincinnati-bengals-aj-green-contract-extension/71643144/

This makes me wonder if this means players like Burfict and Eifert won't in fact get contract extensions done this year and instead see what happens after the season?
Also, does that mean the team will "roll-over" their approximate $17 mill in cap space to next year?

Well considering their salary is locked in once the season starts if they are on the team week 1.  maybe the start of the season if it changes that years pay rate.

Not sure exactly as years ago palmer was extended right before that playoff game in 05
Reply/Quote
At this point barring a sudden extension announcement we can assume Eifert and Burflict will both be gone. And of course the team will have rolled over cap with the ostensible purpose of extending them (you know, like they did with Zeitler, MLJ, etc.). It's the annual front office con job.
Reply/Quote