No deal
23.08%
3 23.08%
Total 13 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deals that make sense for Bates
First Trade Idea- Bengals trade Jessie Bates to Dallas for a 2023 3rd Rd Pick and DT Osa Odighizuwa

Why the Bengals do it- Osa has the potential to be a high caliber player and at a position that the Bengals value at 3T. A 3rd Rd pick could eventually be a future starter or a nice trade piece next off season.

Why the Cowboys do it- The Cowboys need a single High safety like Bates to play Dan Quinns style of defense. The Cowboys are loaded with Interior pass Rushers so moving Osa while not Ideal shouldn't destroy them either.

2nd Trade Bengals Trade Bates to Philadelphia for a 2023 3rd RD pick and DT Milton Williams.

Why it makes sense for the Bengals- The Bengals were reportedly high on Milton Williams last draft season. Getting him and a 3rd pick would be a nice package for Bates.

Why the Eagles do it- their deep at 3T with Harvegrave and Cox there and according to the fan Base they desperately need a safety.

3rd Trade Bengals Trade Bates and a conditional 2023 7th Rd pick to Jets for a 2023 2nd RD pick and FS Ashtyn Davis.

Why for the Bengals- 2nd Rd pick for the Jets Could be like having another first RD pick. Plus Ashtyn has the Skills in his own right to be a single High safety but he might need a change of scenery to unleash his abilities.

Why for the Jets- They need a FS.

4th Trade Bengals Trade Bates to the Rams for a 2023 2nd RD pick

Why for the Bengals- a 2nd Rd pick for Bates seems like fair compensation and they don't have to play him unless the Rams make the Superbowl.

Why it makes sense for the Rams- the Rams do not care about draft picks and are a team that puts all of the chips to the middle of the Table for a championship.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
I went with the Jets offer as the one that makes the most sense. I’d keep him this year and tag/trade next year as the 2nd tag will still probably just be in line with what bates hopes to make per year.

If we trade him I want a high draft pick. The Jets second rounder is the best choice on the board and should be high. The safety we get in return is probably about the same as Bates during his bad years (2019/2021 reg season) so we aren’t losing much from his inconsistent seasons anyway and gaining a valuable pick and cap space in the process.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I am with LeonardFan40. I like the Jets trade the best even though I like all of the trade thoughts. Good job J24. ThumbsUp

Getting a decent Safety with experience in the NFL is needed when we move on from Bates more than a 3-tech unless Zach
Carter completely sucks which I don't think will be the case. Carter is a question but he sure seems like he would be a perfect
3-tech in the NFL with his build, quickness and strength. Intriguing player to watch at TC and in the Preseason.
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2022, 01:47 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I am with LeonardFan40. I like the Jets trade the best even though I like all of the trade thoughts. Good job J24. ThumbsUp

Getting a decent Safety with experience in the NFL is needed when we move on from Bates more than a 3-tech unless Zach
Carter completely sucks which I don't think will be the case. Carter is a question but he sure seems like he would be a perfect
3-tech in the NFL with his build, quickness and strength. Intriguing player to watch at TC and in the Preseason.

I like Zach as a prospect but I doubt he plays that much this season for us. In future years I think he will be a major  contributor for the defense. IMO you can never have too many pass Rushers. 
J24

Reply/Quote
The time to try to work out a trade would've been at the start of free agency when teams were throwing out massive contracts with the cap room to do it.  If they trade Bates now, that's $12.5 million that could've been spent on upper tier FAs.  Now they'd have to use that money for whoever is left on the market or for extensions.  Another poster pointed out in another thread that future draft picks and extensions don't bring the Bengals any closer to winning a Super Bowl this season - that's not ideal.  I can't say that I like any of these trades.  I could maybe see trading him straight up for an aging star like Khalil Mack or someone of similar caliber. 
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2022, 09:37 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: The time to try to work out a trade would've been at the start of free agency when teams were throwing out massive contracts with the cap room to do it.  If they trade Bates now, that's $12.5 million that could've been spent on upper tier FAs.  Now they'd have to use that money for whoever is left on the market or for extensions.  Another poster pointed out in another thread that future draft picks and extensions don't bring the Bengals any closer to winning a Super Bowl this season - that's not ideal.  I can't say that I like any of these trades.  I could maybe see trading him straight up for an aging star like Khalil Mack or someone of similar caliber. 

1.) Of course trading him away earlier would have made more sense but we are passed that point.

2.) You could be right but a third or 2nd RD pick could also help us get a player at the trade deadline. Plus we have a young team; so a second or 3rd rd pick would be a future starter. 

3.) I wouldn't mind trading him for a proven player but getting a young player with years left on his rookie contract like OSA and Williams makes more financial sense then an older player.
J24

Reply/Quote
One thing to keep in mind, bengals will likely get a 3rd round comp pick in 2024 after next offseason.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2022, 01:23 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: One thing to keep in mind, bengals will likely get a 3rd round comp pick in 2024 after next offseason.

Yep but that would also limit who they can sign in free agency as well. If the intent of the front office is not to keep Bates long term then the best solution is to trade him right now.

The problem with trading him right now though is that other teams can't negotiate a longterm contract with him either. So whoever trades for him will be getting him on a short term rental. 
J24

Reply/Quote
CBS Sports just wrote an article with eight potential trade targets on Sunday night, which you mentioned a few of these.

Quote:8. Jets
They're clearly invested in upgrading Robert Saleh's lineup, specifically on defense. And pairing Bates with new starter Jordan Whitehead would give them a dynamic duo on the back end. Lamarcus Joyner, now 31 and coming off a serious injury, is better served coming off the bench. But is general manager Joe Douglas really going to break the bank for Bates when he wouldn't do it for Jamal Adams or Marcus Maye, and after already giving Whitehead decent money (up to $14.5 million)?

7. Commanders
It's as simple as this: Ron Rivera is a defensive guy, and the weakest link on his otherwise feisty defense is the secondary, specifically safety. Washington has financial flexibility going into 2022, and depending on Carson Wentz's performance at quarterback, they could save tens of millions by resetting that spot in 2023. Bates would represent a monumental upgrade over current starters Bobby McCain and Kamren Curl, giving Rivera a true centerfielder.

6. 49ers
Jimmie Ward has quietly but steadily risen to be one of San Francisco's top players on the back end of a stingy "D," but Jaquiski Tartt and linebacker hybrid Marcell Harris, who combined to start 21 games in 2021, are both gone. Their successor, Talanoa Hufanga, a 2021 fifth-rounder, saw limited action as a rookie. The 49ers figure to rely even more on their defense to make another title push now that Trey Lance is taking over at QB, but they also already spent big at corner for Charvarius Ward.

5. Colts
Even though they traded for Matt Ryan, it's pretty clear the Colts are built to win with their defense in 2022. And the one position that doesn't have a bona fide stud is safety, after the D-line (DeForest Buckner), linebackers (Darius Leonard) and corners (Stephon Gilmore or Kenny Moore). Rodney McLeod is solid, if better suited as the No. 3, and he's a rental anyway. Justin Blackmon, meanwhile, is promising but coming off a torn Achilles. As a bonus, Bates was born and raised in Indiana.

4. Patriots
When can Bill Belichick ever be counted out when it comes to a big name on the block? Both Adrian Phillips and Kyle Dugger have done good things at the position for their solid defense, but mainstay Devin McCourty will be 35 this year, and top play-maker J.C. Jackson is gone after bolting for the Chargers in free agency. Bates would help offset the loss of a difference-maker and could conceivably play multiple roles for Belichick, who's still riding an old-school defensive approach.

3. Raiders
New GM Dave Ziegler has already proven he's willing to go big or go home, so why not keep going? His safety room isn't barren, with 2021 second-rounder Trevon Moehrig starting all 17 games as a rookie, but the hard-hitting Johnathan Abram may or may not be in their long-term plans after he had his fifth-year option declined. In the high-flying AFC West, proven secondary pieces are invaluable, and they have plenty of cash ($21.6M in remaining 2022 cap space) to pay Bates up front.

2. Cowboys
Dallas already has two of the NFL's top defensive play-makers in Micah Parsons and Trevon Diggs. Imagine if they use some of the $22.5M in remaining 2022 cap space to make Bates part of the equation. Jayron Kearse was a force in his 2021 breakout, but he's logged just one full season as a starter in the NFL. Malik Hooker is just fine, too, but he's yet to play a full season and isn't breaking the bank after re-signing. Jerry Jones loves a good splash, and this one would help reinforce their defense's title aspirations both in the short and long term.

1. Eagles
If there's one team that's made a big move at pretty much every position of need this offseason, it's the Eagles, who addressed holes at receiver (A.J. Brown), defensive tackle (Jordan Davis), pass rusher (Haason Reddick), linebacker (Kyzir White) and cornerback (James Bradberry). The last one left is safety, where Jaquiski Tartt has come aboard as camp competition but Anthony Harris and Marcus Epps are serving as placeholder starters. Trade-happy GM Howie Roseman has admittedly struggled to identify long-term answers at safety via the draft, and he practices and preaches the importance of patient roster-building. So Bates, who played on a Bengals team that employed current Eagles assistant head coach Jemal Singleton, represents the ideal solution for a quiet NFC East contender.

I have my doubts that this whole scenario ends up working for us, but they just posted it a few hours so let's hope they know something we don't and that our front office is paying attention.

I've seen Dallas taking a safety in the first round of next year's draft and them having that much cap space makes the trade make sense.

Roseman being trade-happy and the Eagles needing a safety also makes a lot of sense and let's just hope that our front office takes their heads out of their asses and gets something for him.

(I do realize that we can't trade him until he signs the tag.)

I feel like he'd fit in Washington and be the missing piece that they need, but what would they give up?

Colts also seem like he'd be the missing piece and plus that's where he's from.

Actually, most of those options seem to make a lot of sense, so I'll be PISSED if we don't at least get something for him.

If Mike were still running things, I can see him being too stubborn to trade him, but let's hope that we continue with our good moves and trade his ass.

I feel like our front office should show this list to those teams and hopefully let them get into a bidding war for him.

I PRAY we make a move and trade him!
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2022, 02:38 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: CBS Sports just wrote an article with eight potential trade targets on Sunday night, which you mentioned a few of these.

I have my doubts that this whole scenario ends up working for us, but they just posted it a few hours so let's hope they know something we don't and that our front office is paying attention.

I've seen Dallas taking a safety in the first round of next year's draft and them having that much cap space makes the trade make sense.

Roseman being trade-happy and the Eagles needing a safety also makes a lot of sense and let's just hope that our front office takes their heads out of their asses and gets something for him.

(I do realize that we can't trade him until he signs the tag.)

I feel like he'd fit in Washington and be the missing piece that they need, but what would they give up?

Colts also seem like he'd be the missing piece and plus that's where he's from.

Actually, most of those options seem to make a lot of sense, so I'll be PISSED if we don't at least get something for him.

If Mike were still running things, I can see him being too stubborn to trade him, but let's hope that we continue with our good moves and trade his ass.

I feel like our front office should show this list to those teams and hopefully let them get into a bidding war for him.

I PRAY we make a move and trade him!

Interesting list; I don't know if they trade him to an AFC team. I am surprised they didn't put the Rams on the list. Him and Rapp would be a good combo at the Safety position.
J24

Reply/Quote
(07-18-2022, 04:48 PM)J24 Wrote: Interesting list; I don't know if they trade him to an AFC team. I am surprised they didn't put the Rams on the list. Him and Rapp would be a good combo at the Safety position.

If they have no other choice, I can see them biting the bullet and doing it.

Agree about the Rams, so let's hope both sides also see that.
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2022, 03:27 PM)J24 Wrote: I like Zach as a prospect but I doubt he plays that much this season for us. In future years I think he will be a major  contributor for the defense. IMO you can never have too many pass Rushers. 

Yeah, I actually like all the trades and the Osa one maybe even more now that I think about it if Zach doesn't play that much 
for us and is a project for the future. It just seems like we would of concentrated more on another 3-tech earlier than to just 
rely on a 3rd round rookie 3-tech behind BJ Hill. If we don't add a guy Carter will have to play a lot to spell BJ.
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2022, 02:00 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, I actually like all the trades and the Osa one maybe even more now that I think about it if Zach doesn't play that much 
for us and is a project for the future. It just seems like we would of concentrated more on another 3-tech earlier than to just 
rely on a 3rd round rookie 3-tech behind BJ Hill. If we don't add a guy Carter will have to play a lot to spell BJ.

Regardless  of what Happens with Bates I believe  the Bengals will look for a veteran 3T to replace  Larry. A good get would be Osa teamate Trysten Hill. Former 2nd RD pick who hasn't really done much in the league but has the tools to be good.
J24

Reply/Quote
(07-20-2022, 04:09 PM)J24 Wrote: Regardless  of what Happens with Bates I believe  the Bengals will look for a veteran 3T to replace  Larry. A good get would be Osa teamate Trysten Hill. Former 2nd RD pick who hasn't really done much in the league but has the tools to be good.

Feeling the same, Trysten Hill eh...

I like it. Mellow
Reply/Quote