Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will the Bengals play in an empty stadium this season?
(03-12-2020, 02:08 AM)sandwedge Wrote: By the time the season starts, the virus should be long forgotten, hopefully.  As for the NBA, they could fold for all I care.

Not necessarily forgotten, but I think it will be curbed tremendously.

(03-12-2020, 09:14 AM)TheBengalsMind Wrote: https://youtu.be/E3URhJx0NSw

Here is a video, from an expert on medicine and viruses.

It's possible, this truly could last 16 months to 2 years, which is how long it could possibly take for a vaccine to be made that's safe for everyone to take.

I hope it doesn't.

It's not as deadly as the Spanish Flu, but it's so highly contagious that if your breathed on by an infected person, there is a chance that you now have it.

Since they now believe it to be caught through mainly airborne pathogens, washing your hands does little to actually help against this disease.

Young people, especially children seem to be unfazed by it.

Most cases involving children show little to no complications from it. Though doctors are unsure of why that is.

It appears to be a death warrant for long term smokers, especially if they have pre existing conditions.

Most of the Chinese people who died were elder man, who had been long term smokers.

My guess is they're hoping that isolationism will contain it.

Worse case scenario is probably having all 7.7 billion people getting infected and if death rates (I keep hearing anything from .7 to 2 percent) remain consistent about 144 million people could die.

The only good that would come from that is that our own bodies system would create antibodies against it and would likely contain it for a couple generations.

It's sad, but anybody hoping this is a two week to four week thing is probably wrong.

Some of it is media hype, like it being "incurable." For most 98 percent it wouldn't be a death sentence and would be just like any flu, but 2 percent is a lot of people, especially if it happens to be your family.

Though I hope for everybody's sake that they're right and it does pass soon.

Everybody be safe out there!

Good stuff and I'm in the same boat; I mentioned on another board that I'm not, "seeking out to get COVID-19," but I wouldn't be opposed to getting it, as my body will become immune to it (to an extent). Thus, in case of a reprisal down the road, the antibodies are already there.

I don't think it will necessarily last at this rate for 2 years, but I do truly think it can take 2 years for the cases to dwindle to nearly nothing; remember, this is a similar (in composition, not strain) virus to the common cold and flu, thus a healthy person should be able to fight it off in the 2 week period (or less, as a cold goes in and out of me in 4 days tops).

It's definitely a recurrence of the Bubonic Plague, but we are armed with multiple centuries of knowledge, more hygienic conditions and awareness of viruses in 2020, thus you won't see 1/3 of the world wiped out like with that virus.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2020, 11:12 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Fair enough, make sure you also focus on posts against the POTUS or else you are a hypocrite. I responded to a shot taken.

Fair enough. I glanced to see if Trumps name was mentioned and didn't see it. Didn't catch that last sentence to the post you quoted. My apologies.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
The sad fact of the matter is that there are so many people on social media taking the numbers and skewing them.

Don't ignore the data. It's pretty simple. A vast majority of the population won't be truly affected by this - either they get it and have a brief illness or they won't get it at all. It's not a death sentence.

The people that I am truly concerned about our my parents and others who struggle with respiratory illnesses in general as well as people over the age of 60. Everyone else seems to do ok even if they catch it.

I would encourage anyone to look at the data.
Reply/Quote
It won't really become a problem until the dead start re-animating and eating the healthcare workers..... Nervous
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2020, 02:08 AM)sandwedge Wrote: By the time the season starts, the virus should be long forgotten, hopefully.  As for the NBA, they could fold for all I care.

Feel the same.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2020, 11:31 AM)Hammerstripes Wrote: The sad fact of the matter is that there are so many people on social media taking the numbers and skewing them.

Don't ignore the data.  It's pretty simple.  A vast majority of the population won't be truly affected by this  - either they get it and have a brief illness or they won't get it at all.  It's not a death sentence.

The people that I am truly concerned about our my parents and others who struggle with respiratory illnesses in general as well as people over the age of 60.  Everyone else seems to do ok even if they catch it.

Thank you. Rock On
Reply/Quote

Ditto on the NBA, and take soccer with them.
Reply/Quote
If the social distancing efforts don't mitigate the problem and return us to normalcy by September we've got bigger problems than no fans in stadiums!
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2020, 11:22 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Not necessarily forgotten, but I think it will be curbed tremendously.

Good stuff and I'm in the same boat; I mentioned on another board that I'm not, "seeking out to get COVID-19," but I wouldn't be opposed to getting it, as my body will become immune to it (to an extent). Thus, in case of a reprisal down the road, the antibodies are already there.

Doesn't work that way Truck. This is a flu like virus, not chicken pox or measles. You can get it over and over. They already have patients become re-infected.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2020, 11:31 AM)Hammerstripes Wrote: The sad fact of the matter is that there are so many people on social media taking the numbers and skewing them.

Don't ignore the data.  It's pretty simple.  A vast majority of the population won't be truly affected by this  - either they get it and have a brief illness or they won't get it at all.  It's not a death sentence.

The people that I am truly concerned about our my parents and others who struggle with respiratory illnesses in general as well as people over the age of 60.  Everyone else seems to do ok even if they catch it.

It has nothing to do with the data in regards to percentages and the demographic of who is at risk.  This is about an infectious disease that has no cure, no vaccine, can be transmitted by 100% of the population and is extremely dangerous to folks with underlying conditions - not just people over 60; anyone that has a jeopardized immune system is at risk, including pregnant women who's immune systems are lowered during pregnancy as to not attack their unborn children.

People need to stop comparing this to the normal flu or other infectious diseases and stop blaming the media / social media for blowing it out of proportion.  There's a reason the WHO, CDC and now our own government is taking action like never before.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2020, 08:15 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Doesn't work that way Truck. This is a flu like virus, not chicken pox or measles. You can get it over and over. They already have patients become re-infected.

Of course, absolutely; the cold and the flu are both coronaviruses as well, after all.

But the immunity will be there and should there be any reprisals, my body would be able to fight it off no problem, as if I had a cold or similar.

That's what I'm saying; the VERY first time any of us got a cold or the flu, was always the worst. When it comes back subsequent times, it never gets as bad as that very first.

(03-13-2020, 08:19 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: It has nothing to do with the data in regards to percentages and the demographic of who is at risk. This is about an infectious disease that has no cure, no vaccine, can be transmitted by 100% of the population and is extremely dangerous to folks with underlying conditions - not just people over 60; anyone that has a jeopardized immune system is at risk, including pregnant women who's immune systems are lowered during pregnancy as to not attack their unborn children.

People need to stop comparing this to the normal flu or other infectious diseases and stop blaming the media / social media for blowing it out of proportion. There's a reason the WHO, CDC and now our own government is taking action like never before.

Not to be nitpicky over the wording rather than the message, but this is NOT a disease; diseases and viruses are two different things.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2020, 10:16 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Of course, absolutely; the cold and the flu are both coronaviruses as well, after all.

But the immunity will be there and should there be any reprisals, my body would be able to fight it off no problem, as if I had a cold or similar.

That's what I'm saying; the VERY first time any of us got a cold or the flu, was always the worst. When it comes back subsequent times, it never gets as bad as that very first.

Not to be nitpicky over the wording rather than the message, but this is NOT a disease; diseases and viruses are two different things.

Yeah, last I heard you build up immunities to these things.
Reply/Quote
Right, but my point is, you can get this virus over and over. While you might not get AS sick, you would still have to be quarantined to keep from spreading it to other people. And if you have antibodies built up to where you just feel a little off, how many people are you going to infect? Getting this and then not worrying about getting it again is not a good idea. It's too easily transmittable.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2020, 09:02 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Right, but my point is, you can get this virus over and over. While you might not get AS sick, you would still have to be quarantined to keep from spreading it to other people. And if you have antibodies built up to where you just feel a little off, how many people are you going to infect?  Getting this and then not worrying about getting it again is not a good idea. It's too easily transmittable.

Yeah that is the biggest thing to me, is giving it to someone else, especially someone older with respiratory issues.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2020, 10:28 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Only in the USA do we blame our President for a virus that originated in China as he acted swiftly banning China from entering the USA. Look back in history of how other President's handled health crisis and you you will see we are very lucky Trump is in charge this time around.

As for empty stadiums, I think MLB is in much bigger danger to eliminate fans.

HEY LUVNSPOONFUL.  before your politically incorrectness mentality hammers anything or anyone, I was referring to elmer fudd the owner! But since you brought it up, the sewer rat trump is trying to get exclusive rights to german remedies foe this crisis? Give me a break!

Reply/Quote