Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dear America, why do you hate sports ending in draws? Sincerely, the UK
As the title goes, if both teams are equally matched, why do you prefer to see an arbitrary winner rather than sharing the plaudits? The league lasts 16 weeks so it's not like any individual game needs a winner so someone can progress to the next stage.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2016, 03:20 PM)bengal kitten uk Wrote: As the title goes, if both teams are equally matched, why do you prefer to see an arbitrary winner rather than sharing the plaudits?  The league lasts 16 weeks so it's not like any individual game needs a winner so someone can progress to the next stage.

"If you ain't first, you're last." 

It's the American way. Ninja

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Being Americans we like to win and hate "draws". Save that spiel for the French.

'Murica!!!!
Reply/Quote
I'm okay with a tie; today is a perfect case in point: neither team deserved a win, but both played just well enough not to lose.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2016, 03:23 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: "If you ain't first, you're last." 

(10-30-2016, 03:29 PM)JumboTron Wrote: Being Americans we like to win and hate "draws".  Save that spiel for the French.

'Murica!!!!

U-S-A! U-S-A! Screw everybody else!! They're doing it wrong!
Reply/Quote
Ironically Amercan Football is the only American sport that can end in a tie. Baseball and basketball both will go until someone wins. I know 'soccer' can end in a tie, and I am guessing hockey too, but those arent traditional American sports.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(10-30-2016, 03:49 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Ironically Amercan Football is the only American sport that can end in a tie. Baseball and basketball both will go until someone wins. I know 'soccer' can end in a tie, and I am guessing hockey too, but those arent traditional American sports.

NHL goes to a shootout now, haven't had ties in about a decade....also hockey is way better than basketball. 2nd best sport after football
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2016, 03:53 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: NHL goes to a shootout now, haven't had ties in about a decade....also hockey is way better than basketball. 2nd best sport after football

Right on both counts.  

Lame tie ending is lame.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2016, 03:53 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: NHL goes to a shootout now, haven't had ties in about a decade....also hockey is way better than basketball. 2nd best sport after football

gotcha. never watched a full hockey game before, unless you count the movie Miracle as one. 

Reply/Quote
(10-30-2016, 03:57 PM)Millhouse Wrote: gotcha. never watched a full hockey game before, unless you count the movie Miracle as one. 

Yes, I do count that lol
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2016, 03:57 PM)Millhouse Wrote: gotcha. never watched a full hockey game before, unless you count the movie Miracle as one. 

Sure, but the real thing was much more impressive to behold.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2016, 03:49 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Ironically Amercan Football is the only American sport that can end in a tie. Baseball and basketball both will go until someone wins. I know 'soccer' can end in a tie, and I am guessing hockey too, but those arent traditional American sports.

Oh, wow, you guys finally accepted the football matches can end in a draw? Props to you!  I remember the laughter over here when MLS first started, as we discovered that you guys had added a ridiculous shoot-out to every game (to avoid draws) as they thought crowds wouldn't be able to cope with no winner on the day.

As for baseball, isn't that something crazy like a 100+ game season to decide who gets to play in a 7-game playoff series? Utterly unfair in a playoff to artificially decide a winner if both teams are evenly matched that day and there are still 6 games left in the series.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2016, 04:12 PM)bengal kitten uk Wrote: Oh, wow, you guys finally accepted the football matches can end in a draw? Props to you!  I remember the laughter over here when MLS first started, as we discovered that you guys had added a ridiculous shoot-out to every game (to avoid draws) as they thought crowds wouldn't be able to cope with no winner on the day.

As for baseball, isn't that something crazy like a 100+ game season to decide who gets to play in a 7-game playoff series?  Utterly unfair in a playoff to artificially decide a winner if both teams are evenly matched that day and there are still 6 games left in the series.

I had to look it up, but apparently they stopped the shootouts in 1999. 

Reply/Quote
(10-30-2016, 03:20 PM)bengal kitten uk Wrote: As the title goes, if both teams are equally matched, why do you prefer to see an arbitrary winner rather than sharing the plaudits?  The league lasts 16 weeks so it's not like any individual game needs a winner so someone can progress to the next stage.

[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2016, 04:03 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: Sure, but the real thing was much more impressive to behold.

That movie totally screwed our town over. They were supposed to film the game here but dropped out and gacd us a huge FU at the last moment. Great story though
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2016, 03:23 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: "If you ain't first, you're last." 

(10-30-2016, 03:29 PM)JumboTron Wrote: Being Americans we like to win and hate "draws".  Save that spiel for the French.

'Murica!!!!

(10-30-2016, 03:34 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: U-S-A! U-S-A! Screw everybody else!! They're doing it wrong!

[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2016, 05:19 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: That movie totally screwed our town over. They were supposed to film the game here but dropped out and gacd us a huge FU at the last moment. Great story though

Where were they going to film?  IMBD says where they did film (several places in British Columbia), but not where it was to be filmed.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2016, 03:20 PM)bengal kitten uk Wrote: As the title goes, if both teams are equally matched, why do you prefer to see an arbitrary winner rather than sharing the plaudits? The league lasts 16 weeks so it's not like any individual game needs a winner so someone can progress to the next stage.

Someone has to win. It's that simple.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote

[Image: 460x300_austinpowers.jpg]
It's All About Winning Baby, Winning
Reply/Quote
Because it ducks when you miss a first round bye, a home field advantage, or even the entire playoffs because you have a tie instead of finishing out one more win.
“I’m Pacman Jones n****, what the [expletive] I got on me?”
Reply/Quote