Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dear bengals front office..
(08-29-2021, 08:33 PM)Au165 Wrote: 9-A38-E346-F052-4-E09-9-C55-B7693-B4-F7-CEA

This includes 2016 which is 6 offseasons ago.   The facts are we have not had a top 10 payroll in the past 5 years if you count this year which we will not have a top 10 payroll this year.  When you look at these same exact numbers next year from 2017-2021 were going to be falling down that list quite a bit.  I would think the current payroll for this year is way more relevant to the argument than money spent 6 years ago.  You argument seems more relevant if you say during 2015 and 2016 we spent more than most teams because that is actually true.  The past 5 offseasons we have not.

You were correct earlier these numbers will fluctuate yearly based on who's contract is coming up.  When Burrows deal comes up we'll probably be in the top 10 again.  It doesnt mean the bengals are cheap or not cheap, as this has been pretty much my point the entire time.  It just a bad argument either way because the data will keep changing and cherry picking into certain years doesnt lead to perfect results.  For example, by next offseason you have to change your argument completely as you wont be able to use the 2016 year as spending glory if you want to continue to talk up spending for last "5 years".  It will have to turn into the bengals in the last 7 or 8 years have spent ____.  On and on till Burrows contract most likely.  Spending is going to change year after year and if bengals continue using the same philosophies they will trend somewhere near league average.  Some years they may be high and other years they may not be.  
Reply/Quote
I dont know much
I do know this..
This team has had plenty of opportunity..Coach Lewis did his best
Its also had to battle the the steelers and the ravens in division and both those teams made the right decisions in the recent past
Learn from the better teams
Learn from your own mistakes
Recognize talent and leadership/ Coaches and players
Otherwise forget about any contention
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2021, 10:13 PM)mikey6866 Wrote: This includes 2016 which is 6 offseasons ago.   The facts are we have not had a top 10 payroll in the past 5 years if you count this year which we will not have a top 10 payroll this year.  When you look at these same exact numbers next year from 2017-2021 were going to be falling down that list quite a bit.  I would think the current payroll for this year is way more relevant to the argument than money spent 6 years ago.  You argument seems more relevant if you say during 2015 and 2016 we spent more than most teams because that is actually true.  The past 5 offseasons we have not.

You were correct earlier these numbers will fluctuate yearly based on who's contract is coming up.  When Burrows deal comes up we'll probably be in the top 10 again.  It doesnt mean the bengals are cheap or not cheap, as this has been pretty much my point the entire time.  It just a bad argument either way because the data will keep changing and cherry picking into certain years doesnt lead to perfect results.  For example, by next offseason you have to change your argument completely as you wont be able to use the 2016 year as spending glory if you want to continue to talk up spending for last "5 years".  It will have to turn into the bengals in the last 7 or 8 years have spent ____.  On and on till Burrows contract most likely.  Spending is going to change year after year and if bengals continue using the same philosophies they will trend somewhere near league average.  Some years they may be high and other years they may not be.  

My man, thats 5 years. I never said 5 off seasons I said the last 5 seasons (which that is 5 complete seasons), money gets spent all year as guys get cut or they have to sign replacements hence the season starts in March each year and runs through the season. This "year" isn't done yet and the payroll can expand and grow with extensions that get done and other money that gets spent hence why Spotrac didn't include it. There is much more to actual money spent than just what is spent in the offseason.

Again, over the last 5 seasons we are top 10 in actual money spent. This is not hard and it's not cherry picking stats, it was put out by Spotrac one of the foremost authorities on NFL finances. They put it out in this full season format for a reason, because only looking at off season spending is in-fact an incomplete picture of ACTUAL MONEY SPENT.
Reply/Quote
Stubborn owner, bad coaches & poor culture will bring you down very quickly.
Reply/Quote