Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Debate opinions?
True. Therefore, making news agency polls worthless - accept for their purpose of persuading individuals who believe or want to believe what they are shoveling.

The shovels are out in force, right now.
(10-12-2016, 12:18 PM)tigerseye Wrote: True. Therefore, making news agency polls worthless - accept for their purpose of persuading individuals who believe or want to believe what they are shoveling.

The shovels are out in force, right now.

No, they are not worthless. Not if you understand them. The problem is that most people don't understand them and/or accept interpretations of the statistics rather than looking at them for themselves.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(10-12-2016, 10:57 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Any public opinion poll is flawed, no denying that. The issue is that we have nothing better to go by. It is also why you will often see two news organizations that tend to lean in opposite directions team up for a poll. Online polls that are posted on websites are meaningless, what pundits say don't necessarily reflect public opinion or even reality. So the best we have to go on is public polling.

Every news agency, every single one, is biased. There is no way around it, just the nature of the business.
Could you give me an opinion of this poll, Dear Sir ?

https://alibertarianfuture.com/2016-election/presidential-polls/poll-gary-johnson-beating-trump-head-to-head-matchup/

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
My opinion of the debates is that they are pretty pointless.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
(10-12-2016, 02:30 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: Could you give me an opinion of this poll, Dear Sir ?

https://alibertarianfuture.com/2016-election/presidential-polls/poll-gary-johnson-beating-trump-head-to-head-matchup/

After looking at the document at the link, here are my takeaways:

1. The polling data is a little weighted to the older generations to be an accurate representation, and that likely had some impacts on their results given that it is typically the younger generations that will know who Johnson is. This is the first election where the Boomers are outnumbered. There is no way to guarantee it, but polling should strive to have responses that reflect that.

2. The people that are voting Clinton or Trump based on Q2 aren't going to go third party for anyone, including Johnson. The percentage doesn't move much when they are paired off against Johnson alone. This isn't surprising at this point in the race.

3. Democrats are more hesitant to vote for Johnson than Republicans. When Johnson matches up with Trump, the undecideds jump, and this is due in large part to those identifying as Democrat being undecided.

There was more, but I've been pulled away and gone back to it so many times at this point I have lost my train of thought. LOL
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(10-12-2016, 04:02 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: After looking at the document at the link, here are my takeaways:

1. The polling data is a little weighted to the older generations to be an accurate representation, and that likely had some impacts on their results given that it is typically the younger generations that will know who Johnson is. This is the first election where the Boomers are outnumbered. There is no way to guarantee it, but polling should strive to have responses that reflect that.

2. The people that are voting Clinton or Trump based on Q2 aren't going to go third party for anyone, including Johnson. The percentage doesn't move much when they are paired off against Johnson alone. This isn't surprising at this point in the race.

3. Democrats are more hesitant to vote for Johnson than Republicans. When Johnson matches up with Trump, the undecideds jump, and this is due in large part to those identifying as Democrat being undecided.

There was more, but I've been pulled away and gone back to it so many times at this point I have lost my train of thought.
No worries !
I appreciate the feedback !
:)

(09-28-2016, 12:26 PM)PhilHos Wrote: That sounds about right. My only thing is that I think the take away will be that those supporting Trump will say he won and those supporting Hillary will say she won, which, so far, seems to be the case. Other than that, this is a spot on assessment of the debate.

The average person only pays attention to the first 10-15 minutes of the debates before tuning out.
Up to that point, Trump was winning, which is why you are seeing so many polls stating that.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(10-12-2016, 10:37 AM)tigerseye Wrote: Polls are only as honest as the organization performing the polls. Main Stream Media = (Main Stream Propaganda). Thanks to Bill Clintons work as President the media is now controlled by a small number of extemely rich individuals instead of being thousands of independent news reporting agencies. I do think that people are starting to wake up to what is going on though.

The 3rd debate should be interesting.

Polls are only accurate to the degree they are conducted scientifically; reputable polling organizations make a point of doing polls that way--and of maintaining their independence from political influence.

Media corporations become concentrated in fewer hands, just like any other industry, when government backs of regulation.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]