Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Debt Ceiling Deal Reached?
It appears Speaker McCarthy and President Biden have reached a compromise to raise the US debt limit. IN my opinion, this is a big deal that both parties compromised to reach a potential deal so we do not default. Neither side got everything they wanted, but each got something. I just wish our government could/would do more no partisan legislation.

Our elections are close to 50/50 for President, Senate and Congress. I voted Bill Clinton many years ago as he governed closer to the middle. I hope and pray for the future of our country this bipartisan deal is not an outlier, but becomes more of the norm. This deal appears to be great for us, the American people so I applaud Biden and McCarthy for getting it done.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Not only did they compromise but they spoke with respect afterwards.

It would be nice to see that continue.  

We know it won't because the extremes will not allow it though.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2023, 11:01 AM)GMDino Wrote: Not only did they compromise but they spoke with respect afterwards.

It would be nice to see that continue.  

We know it won't because the extremes will not allow it though.

I agree, a lot of the divisiveness in the country is caused by politicians. We all need to love each other and respect each other, maybe this is a start.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
We should expect them to compromise.
Reply/Quote
Compromise between the parties that leaves everyone angry? Now that's American politics!
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2023, 04:45 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Compromise between the parties that leaves everyone angry? Now that's American politics!

Nah - it just left the extremists on both sides unhappy.  They are just very loud.  Most people are in-between and know we dodged a bullet.
Reply/Quote
This is not a done deal and still has to pass congress and senate. Several on both sides are not satisfied with the agreement.

Reply/Quote
(05-29-2023, 07:37 PM)Stewy Wrote: Nah - it just left the extremists on both sides unhappy.  They are just very loud.  Most people are in-between and know we dodged a bullet.

Oh I know. But you know how people and the media are - they're gonna say the same thing I did. Just getting out ahead of it.
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2023, 08:53 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: This is not a done deal and still has to pass congress and senate. Several on both sides are not satisfied with the agreement.

I placed a question mark in. the title of the thread because the agreement has not been voted on as of yet.

I agree, the far right and far left hate it. That tells me the middle understands we need an agreement and can't default due to extreme views on both sides of the aisle.

Reply/Quote
(05-29-2023, 07:37 PM)Stewy Wrote: Nah - it just left the extremists on both sides unhappy.  They are just very loud.  Most people are in-between and know we dodged a bullet.

Yup.  Loud mouths are just that.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(05-30-2023, 09:20 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I placed a question mark in. the title of the thread because the agreement has not been voted on as of yet.

I agree, the far right and far left hate it. That tells me the middle understands we need an agreement and can't default due to extreme views on both sides of the aisle.

We will see what the loud voices have to say if/when it passes.  I have a feeling Biden may have had to offer support for McCarthy from the democrats in the house when those same extreme republicans who led to the 13 or so votes to get McCarthy in as speaker start voting to have him removed. 
Reply/Quote
I mean, I don't like it but it could be a lot worse. Personally, I am a fan of the 14th angle, but that's just me. I hate the games played with the world economy and that they only seem to care when they aren't the ones in the White House. If this was all about an actual concern over our fiscal situation I would be more sympathetic, but the way it is ignored when it is convenient means this is just all about power plays. The conversations behind closed doors aren't about what is best for the people, it is all about what will keep these people in power.

Don't hold your breath that this will be a harbinger of more reaching across the aisle in the days to come.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2023, 09:30 AM)Nately120 Wrote: We will see what the loud voices have to say if/when it passes.  I have a feeling Biden may have had to offer support for McCarthy from the democrats in the house when those same extreme republicans who led to the 13 or so votes to get McCarthy in as speaker start voting to have him removed. 

Yeah, I'm curious to see if extremists on "both sides" will become a problem here or, as usual, those on one side. 

It ain't over yet.
Reply/Quote

Why did we have to "dodge a bullet" though, on a matter as important as this to national well being?  

That wouldn't be the case if certain "extremists" were only "loud."  They also have power, and appear ready to use it.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2023, 09:56 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: I mean, I don't like it but it could be a lot worse. Personally, I am a fan of the 14th angle, but that's just me. I hate the games played with the world economy and that they only seem to care when they aren't the ones in the White House. If this was all about an actual concern over our fiscal situation I would be more sympathetic, but the way it is ignored when it is convenient means this is just all about power plays. The conversations behind closed doors aren't about what is best for the people, it is all about what will keep these people in power.

Don't hold your breath that this will be a harbinger of more reaching across the aisle in the days to come.

Seems to me like this is the time where the lefties act like they don't concede on social safety nets, the right acts like they don't concede on massive spending and both sides pretend they couldn't have worked this out when their own party had all the power to do so.

Is that somewhat fair?  Tis a grand guignol, nay?
Reply/Quote
Oy.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2023, 08:49 PM)GMDino Wrote: Oy.

Excellent defense.

There was a Biden bill of 4,000+ pages back when, 
that they also had little time to "read on." 

So 99 pages, and there is so little time a team of 4 staffers can't even help.  

So once again, Dems are trying to get one past the watchdogs of the American people.

In my view,
There wouldn't even be a spending problem if we just ended SS and Medicare and
awarded 50% of the savings to defense contractors for red states.  
Reply/Quote
So I congratulate both house leaders. I'm a bit surprised the vote slanted more Democratic than Republican in this. So these house representatives were free to argue their position up until a point. In the end some said they would run this country over the cliff and vote no, rather than vote yes to avoid a disaster. And that's pretty much unforgivable to me. So it's on to the Senate where it is likely to pass, but we will hear from some more idiots again.
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2023, 12:45 PM)Goalpost Wrote: So I congratulate both house leaders.  I'm a bit surprised the vote slanted more Democratic than Republican in this.  So these house representatives were free to argue their position up until a point.  In the end some said they would run this country over the cliff and vote no, rather than vote yes to avoid a disaster.  And that's pretty much unforgivable to me. So it's on to the Senate where it is likely to pass, but we will hear from some more idiots again.

YAY
D - 165
R - 149

NAY
D - 46
R - 71

That is a pretty surprising distribution of votes for something that is presented by the republican party, slim majority or not.  McCarthy is going to take a beating on this, fair or not.
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2023, 12:45 PM)Goalpost Wrote: So I congratulate both house leaders. I'm a bit surprised the vote slanted more Democratic than Republican in this. So these house representatives were free to argue their position up until a point. In the end some said they would run this country over the cliff and vote no, rather than vote yes to avoid a disaster. And that's pretty much unforgivable to me. So it's on to the Senate where it is likely to pass, but we will hear from some more idiots again.

Unsurprisingly, my Rep voted no. He wouldn't have my vote, anyway, but whatever. LOL
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote