Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Decisions the Bengals need to make the next few months
What to do with Pick 1? 
Chronologically this is not the first decision they need to make, but it has an impact on the other decisions they will need to make.  The obvious choice is to take Burrow and begin rebuilding around him.  But Chase Young is the best player in the draft.  Is there a QB worth taking later?  Do you "try" to get a top 2 pick next year?  Or do you trade down with Miami and take Tua or Herbert and an OL or LB with another 1st round pick?

What to do with Dalton?
If they take Chase Young, or a later QB, Dalton has to stay. Unless they decide to tank next year for Lawrence or Fields. Assuming the draft Burrow, Dalton goes on the trade market.  What is he worth?  I don't see us getting more than a 3 for him, but that 3 could be a guard or LB that could make the team better, or contribute to trading up.

What to do with AJ Green?
If you tag him he may not show up for the off season stuff.  If we have Burrow, having Green here will go a long way in helping him.  I personally wouldn't give him Julio money, but I'd try to sign him to a 3 year deal.  If they can't sign him to a reasonable contract for a 30+ year old receiver who has missed most of the past 2 seasons, then consider a tag and trade.  Sentimentally I want to keep him, but he may want out.  I want at least a top 40 pick for him.

What if Joe Mixon holds out for a big new contract?
Mixon could be a great back with even an average line.  But is a back worth big money?  Especially in a pass first league?  Has he put his "college issues" behind him enough to get back what he would be worth?

Has Eifert earned a new contract?
If you told me he would have played the whole season back in September I would not have believed it.  But he's been used so sparingly he's been practically invisible, and hasn't made the kind of catches he has previously been known for.  I think you let him go and wish him well.

Do you try to trade Dunlap and/or Atkins?
Can you get enough in return for the 2 aging stars of the defense to make it worth trading them?  Geno has a chance to be a Hall of Fame player, is he worth keeping because of that?  If you decide Chase Young is the guy it makes trading Dunlap a lot easier decision.  If we can get a 2 for him I might do it anyway.

What to do with the coaching staff?
I doubt Taylor is going anywhere.  But what about Turner? Or Anarumo? Can Duffner take over the defense?  Are any coaches who are about to get fired upgrades to anyone on our staff, and willing to come?

How do you replace Bullock?
I don't know if there are any kickers in this draft worth taking.  Good kickers don't often make free agency, the cost/value ratio is too good.  So anything they do is likely to be a gamble on some level, but despite his kick today, he's not the answer for what we are trying to build.

Free agents?
If they let Dalton and Glenn go they will have a ton of cap money.  They need to change their philosophy this year.  A couple of smart free agent moves and this team could be much more competitive.  And they have too many needs to be able to address them all in the draft this year.  They need a WR, CB, LB, and an OL or 2, and a kicker, not to mention better overall depth.

What would you add?  What do you disagree with?
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2019, 11:20 PM)Jason_NC Wrote: What to do with Pick 1? 
Chronologically this is not the first decision they need to make, but it has an impact on the other decisions they will need to make.  The obvious choice is to take Burrow and begin rebuilding around him.  But Chase Young is the best player in the draft.  Is there a QB worth taking later?  Do you "try" to get a top 2 pick next year?  Or do you trade down with Miami and take Tua or Herbert and an OL or LB with another 1st round pick?

What to do with Dalton?
If they take Chase Young, or a later QB, Dalton has to stay. Unless they decide to tank next year for Lawrence or Fields. Assuming the draft Burrow, Dalton goes on the trade market.  What is he worth?  I don't see us getting more than a 3 for him, but that 3 could be a guard or LB that could make the team better, or contribute to trading up.

If you tag him he may not show up for the off season stuff.  If we have Burrow, having Green here will go a long way in helping him.  I personally wouldn't give him Julio money, but I'd try to sign him to a 3 year deal.  If they can't sign him to a reasonable contract for a 30+ year old receiver who has missed most of the past 2 seasons, then consider a tag and trade.  Sentimentally I want to keep him, but he may want out.  I want at least a top 40 pick for him.

Mixon could be a great back with even an average line.  But is a back worth big money?  Especially in a pass first league?  Has he put his "college issues" behind him enough to get back what he would be worth?

If you told me he would have played the whole season back in September I would not have believed it.  But he's been used so sparingly he's been practically invisible, and hasn't made the kind of catches he has previously been known for.  I think you let him go and wish him well.

Can you get enough in return for the 2 aging stars of the defense to make it worth trading them?  Geno has a chance to be a Hall of Fame player, is he worth keeping because of that?  If you decide Chase Young is the guy it makes trading Dunlap a lot easier decision.  If we can get a 2 for him I might do it anyway.

I doubt Taylor is going anywhere.  But what about Turner? Or Anarumo? Can Duffner take over the defense?  Are any coaches who are about to get fired upgrades to anyone on our staff, and willing to come?

I don't know if there are any kickers in this draft worth taking.  Good kickers don't often make free agency, the cost/value ratio is too good.  So anything they do is likely to be a gamble on some level, but despite his kick today, he's not the answer for what we are trying to build.

Free agents?
If they let Dalton and Glenn go they will have a ton of cap money.  They need to change their philosophy this year.  A couple of smart free agent moves and this team could be much more competitive.  And they have too many needs to be able to address them all in the draft this year.  They need a WR, CB, LB, and an OL or 2, and a kicker, not to mention better overall depth.

This is a really good write up of all the challenges this team is facing.

I'll skip the what to do with the pick, cause my belief has never changed that they should trade back and get as much as they can for it. Like what the Rams gave up to go get Goff.

Dalton is what he is, a QB that can succeed with a lot of time and a lot of talent. Personally, with how the season went and the benching, I'd try to trade him. If you are accepting full on rebuild, start Doelga (I can't spell his name), get a journeyman kinda vet, or worst case....let Finley have a go again.

A.J. should be tagged and traded. Should have been traded already. In a perfect world, you sit and talk with him and ask where he would want to go and explain you'll do your best to send him to one of the teams he wants. Get a pick or two and wish him the best. Downside is this leaves you in need of drafting his replacement, good news is, if you trade the 1st pick, and Dalton and Green you should have the picks to find a good receiver in the draft.

Mixon, you pay. No Green, No Dalton and already under the cap. He is young and one of the guys who never quits fighting even down by 30 points. That is the kind of guy you keep. Besides, there is no-one behind him on the depth chart who can do what he does. Gio is a great gadget guy and the other backs we drafted can't stay healthy.

Eifert, this is a tough call. You have C.J. and you burned a pick on Sample. Plus there is Shrek and Carter, and it is kind of a deeper position group. However, he looked solid not spectacular this season. I see not harm in offering him a contract but not a big money deal. He is a situational player, not an every down kinda guy anymore.

Dunlap and Atkins, if you go full rebuild and get a good offer, you have to listen. However, if you trade Atkins and Dunlap you have to make sure you lock up Billings and the other young guys like Hubbard and Lawson past next season. Can't trade those guys and then turn around and let their replacements walk out the door.

Bullock.... the fat one... find a CFA and let him battle it out, but make it an actual competition. No sense wasting a pick on a kicker, we have too many holes to take one and possible cut him.

Coaches, I'd keep Taylor and see if he can improve his staff. Came in after a Super Bowl game and was a little behind (I hope) in picking coaches. Let's give him year 2 and his staff to see if there is any improvement.

Free Agency. I wish more than anything, that the team would open it's eyes and actually sign guys who are solid starters and fill needs. Hell, if they actually went out and signed a NFL starting RT and RG and resigned Hopkins and Williams comes back healthy, I'd be much more inclined to be okay with drafting Burrow. But, since FA is a dumpster dive thing here in Cincy, I believe the best and only way to build is to trade back and get more picks.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
As far as coaching changes, we'll be lucky to get even just one. If I HAD to take just one, please get an experienced offensive coordinator in here. I've seen enough of Zac Taylor in that capacity.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
Baltimore has Lamar and Cleveland has Mayfield. Cincinnati cannot miss this opportunity to get an elite QB with the #1 pick. And yes, I realize it's a crapshoot, but Burrow appears to be the real deal and is still improving.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2019, 11:20 PM)Jason_NC Wrote: What to do with the coaching staff?

This question will need to be addressed before any of the others.  I didn't see any sort of cohesive offensive scheme in 2019 other than "pass because we can't run."  If you're running a symphony orchestra you don't bring in the former director of "Hee Haw" to arrange your music. 
Reply/Quote
It comes down to how they want to move forward. Full rebuild around Burrow? Time for a youth movement. Chase Young? Shore up positions of need on both lines and linebacker. They have the luxury of choosing. Young plus Dunlap, Hubbard, and Atkins would be spectacular. Add Jonah back and grab a few other pieces and you have a very strong team. My Ohio State love makes me want to go the Chase Young route but Burrow looks a lot like Palmer at USC. Kind of a win-win for us.
I know who I am! I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude!
Reply/Quote
Get Burrow

Trade for draft picks (if good value is provided, not for the sake of removing contracts): Dalton, Green(tag if no first round picks offered), Atkins, Dunlap, and Dre.

Re-sign Mixon to fair deal.

Keep coaching staff in place (they deserve more than one year and more than this roster).

Sign ket FA at the LB position (maybe TWO)

Draft heavily on the offensive and defensive line. Need one more vertical threat at WR, that is a more polished route runner.

Keep Fat Randy, but look at this kid from FIU...Forget his name, but he made a kick look easy from something line 54 yards and I think it would have been good from 65. I kind of fell in love with Fat Randy yesterday, in what was clearly the funniest moment of the season:

Fat Randy pulls 52 yard attempt left, but gets another shot because Fins coach called time out.

Fat Randy pushes 52 yard attempt right, but gets another shot because the Bengals had a false start.

Fat Randy drills a team record 57 yarder right down the middle. Third time is a charm? And I have NEVER in my life seen the Bengals recover an onside kick! (I know they had one with Nugent, and he got his ACL torn in the process). Yesterday, FR deserved a game ball! It was hilarious.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2019, 10:43 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Baltimore has Lamar and Cleveland has Mayfield. Cincinnati cannot miss this opportunity to get an elite QB with the #1 pick. And yes, I realize it's a crapshoot, but Burrow appears to be the real deal and is still improving.

Mayfield??  I thought young QBs are supposed to improve.. it seems he has regressed... I would not call him anything close to elite...  Lets look at his stats with a healthy and better offense then Cincy compared to Andy this year and tell me how he is looking like a good pick

Mayfield-  60 percent completion.. 19 TD 18 Int.. 79 rating

Dalton-  60% completion   15 TD  13 Int  78 rating

Im not saying draft Burrow.. but he has had one great year.. nothing much before that... is that enough to go on for your franchise QB pick?  maybe but please don;t put Mayfield as a successful #1 pick right now
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2019, 11:32 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Mayfield??  I thought young QBs are supposed to improve.. it seems he has regressed... I would not call him anything close to elite...  Lets look at his stats with a healthy and better offense then Cincy compared to Andy this year and tell me how he is looking like a good pick

Im not saying draft Burrow.. but he has had one great year.. nothing much before that... is that enough to go on for your franchise QB pick?  maybe but please don;t put Mayfield as a successful #1 pick right now

This is sensible, Essex.  Baker Mayfield makes more commercials than touchdowns and while he's better than anything the Cleveland Browns have had in decades, he's certainly nowhere near elite.  I like Joe Burrow too but it's way too early to anoint him the savior of the Bengals.  I'm afraid if he comes to Cincinnati he'll come with unrealistic expectations from many fans.  This isn't LSU where the offense was built around his strengths.  Just look at head coaches; I can say confidently Ed Orgeron is far better as than Zac Taylor.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2019, 11:39 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: This is sensible, Essex.  Baker Mayfield makes more commercials than touchdowns and while he's better than anything the Cleveland Browns have had in decades, he's certainly nowhere near elite.  I like Joe Burrow too but it's way too early to anoint him the savior of the Bengals.  I'm afraid if he comes to Cincinnati he'll come with unrealistic expectations from many fans.  This isn't LSU where the offense was built around his strengths.  Just look at head coaches; I can say confidently Ed Orgeron is far better as than Zac Taylor.

All #1 come with unrealistic expectations especially QBs for most fans..  
Reply/Quote
-Draft Borrow
- Trade Dalton if you want Borrow to sit and learn a year just start Finely take the draft pick for Dalton if you can
- trade Atkins and Dunlap by the time team is good these guys will be way past their prime.
- all set with resigning Eifert want to get younger , the money can be used elsewhere.
- resign Hopkins
- let Vigil walk and try singing LB Corey Littleton from the Rams. Taylor knows him from being with the Rams and he’s a young athletic linebacker.
- Look at drafting a RT in round 2 if the values there.
- They need to maximize Borrows window by being aggressive and overturning this roster. They let the team fall apart around Palmer when he was here. They can’t sit back and hope one player will turn this mess around.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2019, 11:20 PM)Jason_NC Wrote: 1. What to do with Pick 1? 

2. What to do with Dalton?

3. What to do with AJ Green?

4. What if Joe Mixon holds out for a big new contract?

5. Has Eifert earned a new contract?

6. Do you try to trade Dunlap and/or Atkins?

7. What to do with the coaching staff?

8. How do you replace Bullock?

9. Free agents?

1. Draft Burrow. Trading down is tempting if I can get an extra 1st this year and a 2nd next year from the Dolphins for the 2nd overall pick. Young, Tua, and a 2nd next year might be worth giving up Burrow since the team has quite a few needs. I wouldn't trade down lower than 2nd overall though. I feel like there's a big dropoff after the first two picks next year.

2. Trade him if you can. If not, release him.

3. Let him leave in FA. He won't be a happy camper with the tag, and there's no guarantee anyone will trade for him if he has the tag's worth of guaranteed money on his name. 

4. Trade him if he holds out. Unless you have a Barry Sanders or a Tomlinson type RB, they are largely interchangeable so long as you have a good scheme + decent OL. Paying non-generational talent RBs is a mistake.
Top 3 Rushers By Year
2019: Chubb, McCaffrey, Henry
2018: Elliott, Barkley, Gurley
2017: Hunt, Gurley, Bell
2016: Eliott, Howard, Murray
2015: Peterson, Martin, Gurley
Unless You Have Barry Sanders, DON'T PAY RUNNING BACKS.

5. Probably not? Eifert is a shell of his former self and it's kind of sad to watch. I doubt Taylor's awful offense is helping, but he's visibly not the same player he used to be. I can't give that a firm no, though, because despite being a shell of his former self, he's still technically the best TE on the team. They need to have a decent TE around as a safety valve for Rookie Burrow.

6. No. You can never have enough pass rushing. I firmly believe a better DC will solve a lot of the DL problems.

7. Fire everyone besides Simmons. Hire Eric Bieniemy to be the HC as they should have done last offseason. Let him hire his own people for offense, but maybe strongly "suggest" hiring a veteran DC like Del Rio or Rivera.

8. I might be the minority, but I am fine with Bullock. He's kicking 92.3% on FGs under 50 yards in 2019 (94.4% in 2018), and 100% on PATs in 2019. The 50+ yarders are nice if you have a kicker that can get them, but it's the missed easy kicks that are really momentum/morale crushing in my mind.

9. Re-sign Hopkins, Billings/Tupou, and Brandon Wilson (as a returner). Sign Brandon Scherff and Jack Conklin. Throw a pile of money at Joe Schobert. That would make a huge dent in the draft needs list and make it actually possible to fill up the rest of the holes in one draft class. (Reducing the draft needs list to... Burrows, a WR, another LB, a TE, and a CB.)

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
My offseason plan would be to fire ZT and hire Ron Rivera. Let him build the team the way he wants. But I'm just bengaloo. I aint Mike Brown
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2019, 11:32 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Mayfield??  I thought young QBs are supposed to improve.. it seems he has regressed... I would not call him anything close to elite...  Lets look at his stats with a healthy and better offense then Cincy compared to Andy this year and tell me how he is looking like a good pick

My point wasn't that Mayfield is elite, it's that the Bengals cannot afford to upgrade the position. 
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2019, 08:37 AM)Big Boss Wrote: As far as coaching changes, we'll be lucky to get even just one. If I HAD to take just one, please get an experienced offensive coordinator in here. I've seen enough of Zac Taylor in that capacity.

Who on Earth would sign on to work under Zac? No one with any talent would work under him.
Reply/Quote
They just signed K Kaare Vedvik to the practice squad. Considering the timing, you would have to think it is for a real look-see in the off season

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Draft Burrow #1 Overall.

Trade:
Andy Dalton - $17.7 M on the cap
Cordy Glenn - $9.5 M on the cap.

Franchise Tag AJ Green and trade him.
I hate to say that but AJ deserves to play for a winner and the Bengals are clearly rebuilding.

Sign Mixon to a much better contract. IDK the amount. But he deserves it. He is the clear #1 RB.

Sign FA Linebackers. Bring in fresh blood.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2019, 11:20 PM)Jason_NC Wrote: 1. What to do with Pick 1? 

2. What to do with Dalton?

3. What to do with AJ Green?

4. What if Joe Mixon holds out for a big new contract?

5. Has Eifert earned a new contract?

6. Do you try to trade Dunlap and/or Atkins?

7. What to do with the coaching staff?

8. How do you replace Bullock?

9. Free agents?

1. Burrow. Unless Miami offer us something ridiculous (in which case we might regret end up regretting their field goal to win it yet)

2.  Trade. This off-season turns on the ability to get a decent draft pick for him.

3. Try and agree a long term deal, otherwise tag and trade. If we don't sign/tag him, the Front Office will be reluctant to sign free agents as we'd have to give up our compensation pick.

4  Fingers crossed he doesn't.

5. Yes, but probably not a raise.

6. I probably wouldn't actively shop them but I'd listen if anyone comes calling.

7. It's clear Zac needs to give up calling plays. On D, I'm not sure. Who is going to want to come here to coach the 29th ranked D knowing that the 1st overall is going to be on a QB and probably the 2nd round pick on a O-lineman? We saw what struggles they had last year attracting a DC. With a further year of ignoring the D it's an even tougher sell.

8. Probably not spending a draft pick on one but open camp competition.

9. Yes. Early and often. They need starters, they need better depth. A starter at LB and O-line is the minimum but they also need role players, back-ups and competition.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2019, 11:20 PM)Jason_NC Wrote: What to do with Pick 1? 

What to do with Dalton?

Free agents?

I'd trade that pick for 2 1's.
Why? Because the front office uses free agency as a band aid.
The Bengals are very frugal when it comes acquiring FA talent 

I'd trade Dalton. The Bengals could use that money to help.secure AJ.

Resign Green. He is the face and the heartbeat of the offense. He wants to retire a Bengal. 
The Bengals do not have a WR to replace him as a,#1. Boyd is a ideal #2.

Do not overpay Mixon. 
2 of the best RBs in the NFL play for teams that are not going to the playoffs...Chubb and Mixon 

Eifert has earned a new contract. 
He was criminally under used this year. The Pats wanted Eifert for a reason.

Keep.Dunlap. trade Atkins. 
Atkins simply is not dominant anymore. Yes from time to time he will.flash. he will overpower no name centers 
He disapears vs AFC North foes 
He can be traded for more draft picks. 

Coaching staff. Fire Anarumo. Fire Turner. Fire Bicknell. Fire Callahan. 
Hired seasoned coordinators who have resumes that have success at NFL level 

Free agency 
Target olineman. LBers. Safties who can make plays.
Reply/Quote