Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Declining interest in the nfl?
I listen to the Sirius nfl radio has much as I can while in my car. I've heard Pat Kirwin several times lament how the nfl is losing younger fans.

Here in the NATI there's a growing frustration among older longtime Bengal fans with how Mike brown runs the team. The main factors are lack of urgency in free agency, bringing Marvin Lewis back and a perception of not doing all they can to win, i.e. small scouting department etc.

My wife and I enjoy watching games together and with friends but began losing interest last year. My kids don't really follow the team as they are plugged into their devices.

I was going to put this in jungle noise but I'm curious to see what fans of other teams are seeing with their fan bases.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2018, 02:39 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: I listen to the Sirius nfl radio has much as I can while in my car.  I've heard Pat Kirwin several times lament how the nfl is losing younger fans.

Here in the NATI there's a growing frustration among older longtime Bengal fans with how Mike brown runs the team.  The main factors are lack of urgency in free agency, bringing Marvin Lewis back and a perception of not doing all they can to win, i.e. small scouting department etc.

My wife and I enjoy watching games together and with friends but began losing interest last year.  My kids don't really follow the team as they are plugged into their devices.

I was going to put this in jungle noise but I'm curious to see what fans of other teams are seeing with their fan bases.

My declining interest has many factors, but I will never again contribute a dime to the NFL. I am 64 and have been a fan since since the early 1960s. Being in Florida I had the NFL Ticket for the past 3 years and cancelled it.  I will not buy a single hat or shirt ever again, and will follow the scores but will not watch them on TV at all, which won't be hard to refrain from being we get all the Bucs and Dolphins games.
Reply/Quote
It's overrated young people never really watched TV back in day. We we're playing video Games or playing outside. We were not just watching television on a constant loop like everyone claims. There is no way I could watch a whole game when I was 12 but now as a 28 year old it is easy. Personally when the next generation gets older and mellows out they will watch sporting events from kickoff to final whistle.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Plus many parents nowadays do not want their kids playing football.

But they are losing older fans as well. Many of my FB friends have written the NFL off for the kneeling during anthem.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2018, 02:39 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: I listen to the Sirius nfl radio has much as I can while in my car.  I've heard Pat Kirwin several times lament how the nfl is losing younger fans.

Here in the NATI there's a growing frustration among older longtime Bengal fans with how Mike brown runs the team.  The main factors are lack of urgency in free agency, bringing Marvin Lewis back and a perception of not doing all they can to win, i.e. small scouting department etc.

My wife and I enjoy watching games together and with friends but began losing interest last year.  My kids don't really follow the team as they are plugged into their devices.

Well, we see this theme popping up on this board a lot recently, and I have to believe a lot of it has to do with that old fool that owns the team.  I'm guessing right about now Philly fans think the state of the NFL is just fine and dandy.  But, when you suffer from Brown-Lewis Syndrome (BLS), every day is a trudge through the valley of darkness. 

It's not just the NFL losing fans, though.  Ratings for the Olympics are down (that 14 hour time difference isn't helping). I also read an article today about how NASCAR's tv ratings are eroding and race attendance is down.  I think it's a generational thing.  Every day people die who have spent their lives watching televised sports and attending games, and they're being replaced by those who were born in the 90s (and gulp, this century) and who eschew cable and going to games to have their face buried in their phone all day.  How many 22 year olds do you reckon carve out three hours of their Sunday to watch an NFL game (six of they attend a game)?  Not saying that's the sole reason, but I'd bet that has something to do with it.  
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
Some very good points in here. As for my family, I'm the only one still devoted to watching the sport. Family has no respect for football after the kneeling BS started.

Reply/Quote
(02-19-2018, 08:38 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Some very good points in here. As for my family, I'm the only one still devoted to watching the sport. Family has no respect for football after the kneeling BS started.

Yep, try to defend it all the time amongst my friends, but they are not hearing it. 

It is going back to just the diehard fans for a minute it appears. 

Even half my crew that has been going to Bengals games for almost 30 years have canceled out this year. 

Starting to be on the edge myself when thinking about what else I could do with the money instead. 

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
My interest has somewhat declined because of the way Mikey boy runs the team. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2018, 01:55 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: My interest has somewhat declined because of the way Mikey boy runs the team. 

This factors in heavily as well. 

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Remember that all NFL kneeling discussion is to be had in the PnR forum only.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2018, 02:55 AM)treee Wrote: Remember that all NFL kneeling discussion is to be had in the PnR forum only.

Can move mine or delete because that is one section that I do not intend to visit. 

Get enough political posts on FB already and not interested in arguing about religion with strangers. 

Not mad and will not care if deleted.

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
I think one of the things that has turned me off about the NFL is how the refs have been able to change the outcome of games with questionable call or no calls. As Bengal fans we have dealt with that a lot. However, I have noticed it has begun to spread through the league. Then there's the part of me that says, "That's ridiculous."

Reply/Quote
(02-20-2018, 07:57 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: I think one of the things that has turned me off about the NFL is how the refs have been able to change the outcome of games with questionable call or no calls. As Bengal fans we have dealt with that a lot. However, I have noticed it has begun to spread through the league. Then there's the part of me that says, "That's ridiculous."

Definitely. If they want to see an uptick in interest, they should either eliminate or rewrite rules that are vague or are open to interpretation. There should only be a single literal interpretation of said rules. For example, instead of two steps and a "football move" to transition from a receiver to a runner, how about just 3 steps?
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2018, 08:08 AM)treee Wrote: Definitely. If they want to see an uptick in interest, they should either eliminate or rewrite rules that are vague or are open to interpretation. There should only be a single literal interpretation of said rules. For example, instead of two steps and a "football move" to transition from a receiver to a runner, how about just 3 steps?

[Image: 45_02a_mca-40158_1973_promo_side_mono_gi..._steps.gif]

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-20-2018, 01:55 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: My interest has somewhat declined because of the way Mikey boy runs the team. 

Yeah, if that hasn't chased me away after 27 years, nothing else sure will.  
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2018, 01:10 PM)Wyche Wrote: [Image: 45_02a_mca-40158_1973_promo_side_mono_gi..._steps.gif]

[Image: 1488210435-giphy.gif]

Reply/Quote
(02-21-2018, 01:10 PM)Wyche Wrote: [Image: 45_02a_mca-40158_1973_promo_side_mono_gi..._steps.gif]

Interesting that promotional copies had the artist's name spelled phonetically.  Did these Leh-nerd Skin-nerd people ever make it big?
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2018, 06:23 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: Interesting that promotional copies had the artist's name spelled phonetically.  Did these Leh-nerd Skin-nerd people ever make it big?

They were ok. Might have enticed a little enjoyment during my dog days. Wait, don't listen to this group. I wasn't thinking. It could cause success, discipline and severe alcohol intake in the making of you! Take 3 steps back and walk away. Don't go anywhere were you smell that smell. Be a free bird and a simple man. Avoid this music and go back down to sweet home Alabama!  ThumbsUp

Reply/Quote
(02-23-2018, 06:23 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: Interesting that promotional copies had the artist's name spelled phonetically.  

Not sure if that is tongue in cheek. But, this single is from the album "Pronounced: Lehnerd Skinerd"
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2018, 11:46 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Not sure if that is tongue in cheek. But, this single is from the album "Pronounced: Lehnerd Skinerd"

It wasn't.  Not really a fan of their work, familiar with it of course, but I was not aware of that.  That's pretty creative, though.
Reply/Quote