Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deep Dive
(08-26-2022, 03:37 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Fred? Is that you?

No, but this is.

According to Proffotballreference.com among DE's Hubbard ranked 

-4th in total tackles (62)
-5th in tackles for loss (12)
-7th in solo tackles (33)
-10th in QB hits (17)
-14th in sacks (7.5)

Just looking at Hubbard's stats, it appears that he really benefitted from getting the Browns game off.  Through 13 games Sam had 7.5 sacks, 17 QB hits, and was averaging over 4 tackles per game.  Over his final 3 regular season games he had 0 sacks 0 QB hits and only 8 total tackles.  Then after sitting out the Cleveland game he turned it on in the postseason.  Projecting his postseason stats over a 17 game season would produce 94 tackles, 13 sacks, and 21 tackles for loss.
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2022, 12:46 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No, but this is.

According to Proffotballreference.com among DE's Hubbard ranked 

-4th in total tackles (62)
-5th in tackles for loss (12)
-7th in solo tackles (33)
-10th in QB hits (17)
-14th in sacks (7.5)

Just looking at Hubbard's stats, it appears that he really benefitted from getting the Browns game off.  Through 13 games Sam had 7.5 sacks, 17 QB hits, and was averaging over 4 tackles per game.  Over his final 3 regular season games he had 0 sacks 0 QB hits and only 8 total tackles.  Then after sitting out the Cleveland game he turned it on in the postseason.  Projecting his postseason stats over a 17 game season would produce 94 tackles, 13 sacks, and 21 tackles for loss.

I wasn’t responding to a post about Hubbard, smart guy

It was in response to a post about Carman
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2022, 10:34 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Can't give Taylor/Callahan too much of a break, because Taylor chose to hire (and keep for a second season) Jim Turner.

They also chose bad players in the draft, chose to extend Bobby Hart, chose to extend Trey Hopkins, chose to sign XSF, chose to sign John Jerry, chose to sign John Miller.

When a large part of the problem is your own doing, it's hard to not judge you for the problem that's spanned 3 years (any also stretched back into your time as a college playcaller as well).

I don't mind Taylor as a HC, his guys seem to play for him, but I still believe he should give up play calling duties to a real OC.

I think you may be exactly right about this.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2022, 10:34 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Can't give Taylor/Callahan too much of a break, because Taylor chose to hire (and keep for a second season) Jim Turner.

They also chose bad players in the draft, chose to extend Bobby Hart, chose to extend Trey Hopkins, chose to sign XSF, chose to sign John Jerry, chose to sign John Miller.

When a large part of the problem is your own doing, it's hard to not judge you for the problem that's spanned 3 years (any also stretched back into your time as a college playcaller as well).

I don't mind Taylor as a HC, his guys seem to play for him, but I still believe he should give up play calling duties to a real OC.

I dunno.. Maybe Mikey himself might have told him to crap the bed so they could draft Burrow.. Not unheard of for teams to tank for a few years to rebuild rosters..  Still..doesn't seem like Mikes style..  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(08-26-2022, 11:54 PM)EatonFan Wrote: Yeah he was a bit harsh on Hubbard.  He's elite against the run and average in pass rush, but he's got a great motor.

Agree Eaton, that was about the only thing that I really disagreed with. Like I said, he knows football.

I just don't think he knows the individual players quite as well as us Bengal fans which is understandable.

Hubbard kind of is the glue that keeps our Defense together honestly. Very important player for us.

No 3rd Defensive End in the League could offer near as much as Sam Hubbard does for us.

(08-27-2022, 07:45 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Some of the schemes they were able to do with Hubbard (the first Ravens game and the 2nd Chiefs game) are largely overlooked as well.  Hubbard is like Reader that he doesn't make a lot of splash plays, but the defense rolls because of his work out there.  

Truth, his discipline is second to none along with his run stopping ability.

I can understand ranking his pass rush 75 but his run stopping should be rated in the 90's, he is the best at his position
as an edge run stopper. Maybe you could argue for Khalil Mack over Hubbard in this department, maybe.
Reply/Quote

Every team is going to have some bad picks, free agends and hold overs but the overall transformation that started with Zac coming in and where the team is now is pretty amazing, he does not deserve all the credit or blame though either way.  

As for play calling im going to give a pass just how bad our line has been

To me there are two coaches on the hot seat this year.. first it is Pollack as our Oline coach, he has to show great improvement from last year with all the additions and draft picks we have given him,  next hot seat is Zac and play calling, it  has been documented that the  playbook was  scaled back with the Oline play but has been expanded now with the fore mentionedadditions  so we should see improvement as long as Pollack does his job and gets this line in the 15 ranking area...
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2022, 05:22 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Every team is going to have some bad picks, free agends and hold overs but the overall transformation that started with Zac coming in and  where the team is now is pretty amazing, he does not deserve all the credit or blame though either way.  

As for play calling im going to give a pass just how bad our line has been

To me there are two coaches on the hot seat this year.. first it is Pollack as our Oline coach, he has to show great improvement from last year with all the additions and draft picks we have given him,  next hot seat is Zac and play calling, it  has been documented that the  playbook was  scaled back with the Oline play but has been expanded now with the fore mentionedadditions  so we should see improvement as long as Pollack does his job and gets this line in the 15 ranking area...

Nice post Essex. I want to see Pollack and the other OL coach/coaches get our OL good in pass protection.

This has been my only problem with Pollack, he is a very good OL coach in getting his OL good at run blocking.
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2022, 05:40 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Nice post Essex. I want to see Pollack and the other OL coach/coaches get our OL good in pass protection.

This has been my only problem with Pollack, he is a very good OL coach in getting his OL good at run blocking.

thanks, with our weapons, we don;t have to be great at Oline but good enough, I also want to finally see a development from Bengals under Pollack.. maybe it will be Volson.. 
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2022, 11:03 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: thanks, with our weapons, we don;t have to be great at Oline but good enough, I also want to finally see a development from Bengals under Pollack.. maybe it will be Volson.. 

Might be, Synric said before the game yesterday if Volson doesn't play he will be the starter opening day.

So he must of shown Pollack and the coaches enough, unlike Carman who gave up a sack and had a penalty yesterday.

Still, I don't think Carman is near as bad as some, he still needs to work on his hand placement and his balance. 

He had some good blocks yesterday. Gilliam was actually the guy that impressed me on the OL and never saw the dude before.
Reply/Quote