Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deep Moment With My Old Man........
Sorry, but this is a serious post and kind of emotional, so just skip it if it's not your thing.

I posted this on Facebook:

Quote:My old man texts me and says he’s leaving town tomorrow, so he wants to stop over to chat.
I get kind of worried because usually people are ok texting and don’t want to talk to you in person unless you’ve done something wrong…….

I’m thinking “did I post something wrong or upset someone with a comment?”

Did someone say I’ve been being careless about the virus?

I realize that I’ve been too busy with the calendar to post much or comment much and, even if I weren’t, I haven’t been going out much because of the rona, and definitely not to places that are crowded where I could catch it.

After that, the only other thing I could think of is that something’s wrong with him, so I get worried again.

He shows up, walks into my place, and tells me that people have been asking him where they can buy a calendar. I’m thinking that (1) he already knows that and (2) he could have just asked me that over text, but then he goes on to tell me how proud he is of me for making the calendar and how proud he is when people talk to him about me!

(I swear that not getting teary-eyed typing this…… someone was just cutting onions in my bedroom……)

He goes to leave, walks over, and hugs me while I’m sitting in my wheelchair.

When I lived at home and he had a bad day at work or was just sad for any reason, he’d ask me to give him a standing hug. This wasn’t a sad moment, but I needed him to know how much this meant to me, so I stood up and hugged him!

My old man’s my hero!

Sorry....... just had to share!
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2021, 12:03 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Sorry, but this is a serious post and kind of emotional, so just skip it if it's not your thing.

I posted this on Facebook:

Sorry.......   just had to share!

Thank you.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2021, 12:19 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Thank you.

Yeah......  everyone is going nuts about it on Facebook!

I've always been a good writer! 

Hilarious 
Reply/Quote
Enjoy your dad while still alive. It doesn't last forever. Both of my parents are gone and I can't begin to express just how much I miss them both..  Mellow
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2021, 01:01 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Yeah......  everyone is going nuts about it on Facebook!

I've always been a good writer! 

Hilarious 

I used to write a lot, then I realized nobody reads it. Especially at work. If you find yourself writing long emails at work, time to find a new job. lol
Reply/Quote
Most of us here are proud and happy for you too Brad.  Wink

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2022, 06:44 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: I used to write a lot, then I realized nobody reads it. Especially at work. If you find yourself writing long emails at work, time to find a new job. lol

(01-02-2022, 10:36 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Most of us here are proud and happy for you too Brad.  Wink

Thanks............ I can't even begin to describe what this feels like!

Like I said, I also ordered business cards for it and then I'm also presenting to a school in Cinci in a few weeks and the teacher gave me permission to bring them in there, which I've been presenting there for years and always do my speedo model joke, so hopefully a bunch of students buy one!
Reply/Quote
I think any parent would be proud to see their child working in service to others to make a positive difference in their lives. It’s very noble. And you should be proud of yourself, too.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2022, 12:02 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I think any parent would be proud to see their child working in service to others to make a positive difference in their lives. It’s very noble. And you should be proud of yourself, too.

Thanks, and I am, but, at the same time, all of these thoughts with "I should have done this sooner!"

Like I keep saying, if we can make this a yearly thing and continue to make it grow, then I'll be............

I don't want to say proud because it's not about me, but I'll be happy because I feel like this will show disabled people and people missing limbs in a different light and give us all something to be proud of.

I want the spotlight to be on us!
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2022, 08:50 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Thanks, and I am, but, at the same time, all of these thoughts with "I should have done this sooner!"

Like I keep saying, if we can make this a yearly thing and continue to make it grow, then I'll be............

I don't want to say proud because it's not about me, but I'll be happy because I feel like this will show disabled people and people missing limbs in a different light and give us all something to be proud of.

I want the spotlight to be on us!

Nothing wrong with feeling pride. You've put work into this and are passionate about the work. Feel proud and own it. 
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2022, 09:08 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Nothing wrong with feeling pride. You've put work into this and are passionate about the work. Feel proud and own it. 

I dunno..Pride is one of the 7 deadly sins.. Are you a sinner Brad?  Smirk
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-06-2022, 05:50 PM)grampahol Wrote: I dunno..Pride is one of the 7 deadly sins.. Are you a sinner Brad?  Smirk

Aren't we all? Hmm
Reply/Quote
I debated on posting this. But here goes. I have been estranged from my birth father for many years. I'm not going into long detail, but I found out something sickening about the man. There were "rumors" after he and my mother divorced that he had been acting very...inappropriate with a 10 year old little girl.

Many years later, that little girl ended up as a waitress at the Frische's in our town. He had actually introduced her to me and my wife when she was a little girl. So I approached her, she remembered me, I gave her my phone number, and she called me a day later. She verified that my piece of shit father sexually molested her, often.

I asked her about going to the police, but she begged me not to repeat any of it. So, I called the old man a day later to see if he was home. I drove down to his house, knocked on the door. Told him that I knew (his wife was there too) what he had done years before, and knocked him across the kitchen.

We've not seen or spoken to each other since. That was 10+ years ago. My mother has remarried and I have had a wonderful stepfather for a long time now. That other piece of crap is lucky he's walking.

Sorry guys. But I just want all you guys and gals to be appreciative if you have a great father. Now I'm depressed. Out to the garage!
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2022, 12:52 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: I debated on posting this.  But here goes.  I have been estranged from my birth father for many years.  I'm not going into long detail, but I found out something sickening about the man.  There were "rumors" after he and my mother divorced that he had been acting very...inappropriate with a 10 year old little girl.

Many years later, that little girl ended up as a waitress at the Frische's in our town.  He had actually introduced her to me and my wife when she was a little girl.  So I approached her, she remembered me, I gave her my phone number, and she called me a day later.  She verified that my piece of shit father sexually molested her, often.

I asked her about going to the police, but she begged me not to repeat any of it.  So, I called the old man a day later to see if he was home.  I drove down to his house, knocked on the door.  Told him that I knew (his wife was there too) what he had done years before, and knocked him across the kitchen.

We've not seen or spoken to each other since.  That was 10+ years ago.  My mother has remarried and I have had a wonderful stepfather for a long time now.  That other piece of crap is lucky he's walking.

Sorry guys.  But I just want all you guys and gals to be appreciative if you have a great father.  Now I'm depressed.  Out to the garage!

You're a good dude. I'm not going to tell you to not be depressed, because life isn't always peachy and doesn't work that way. That said, I hope any shitty memories and feelings about your father never consume you. You don't have to apologize either as I think it's good to write out one's feelings and this community at Bengals Board seems to be filled with many people who sincerely don't mind listening to peeps who need to get some emotions out.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2022, 01:22 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: You're a good dude. I'm not going to tell you to not be depressed, because life isn't always peachy and doesn't work that way. That said, I hope any shitty memories and feelings about your father never consume you. You don't have to apologize either as I think it's good to write out one's feelings and this community at Bengals Board seems to be filled with many people who sincerely don't mind listening to peeps who need to get some emotions out.

Thanks man.  We do have a pretty good family here.  I am at peace with it now.  The little girl is now happily married and last I knew had a baby.  So he didn't ruin her.  Just seems like the man I grew up with as my father is a lost memory now.  My NEW father is a great man.

Tecmo, you're a good dude too.  Glad we've gotten to know each other in the League.  
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2022, 01:48 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Thanks man.  We do have a pretty good family here.  I am at peace with it now.  The little girl is now happily married and last I knew had a baby.  So he didn't ruin her.  Just seems like the man I grew up with as my father is a lost memory now.  My NEW father is a great man.

Tecmo, you're a good dude too.  Glad we've gotten to know each other in the League.  

[Image: bring-it-in-hug-it-out.gif]

Edit: You still suck for losing to me in the league.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2022, 01:50 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: [Image: bring-it-in-hug-it-out.gif]

Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2022, 01:50 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: [Image: bring-it-in-hug-it-out.gif]

(01-08-2022, 04:02 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Hilarious

Dude...that's a prison hug. Don't fall for it!

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2022, 11:48 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Dude...that's a prison hug. Don't fall for it!

Hey now, it was a sincere gesture of kindness. 

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Deep moments with my father were impossible. He was a Steelers fan.
Reply/Quote