Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deep Pass
With the way the rules are and as flag happy as the refs are, why the hell dont we take shots down field more. Hell look at the BS call Balt got to get back in the game. Today Dalton had time, it seemed like every 1st was a run and if Dalton changed the play at the line it was to a run. I have never seen so many no calls (well unless we play Pitt) yet BS calls on us but at some point this team needs to overcome that. We never seem to be able to overcome a penalty, we stop ourselves with the conservative play calling. Do we need a diva wr? do we need that guy thats going to fight for the ref to throw the flag. For once I would like to see some damn fire in Green and others after a bad no call. On the D we continue to let teams off the hook with 3rd and long penalty's, whats up with all the chop blocks on our guys? Thats why Burfict and Jones were getting pissed. I would stress the loss of composure on our D but by the end I just wanted someone to take Gronks ass out. I think im just done with this mess. We can fire on D but not on Offense, If we fire on Offense our D gets burned, and if we play decent enough on both sides to hang in there we A. Shoot our self in the foot or B. The refs take over. The NFL is really hard to watch anymore. Ratings are down because of the BS rules, the amount of Control the refs have on the outcome of a game. Not because Manning retired or Brady has been suspended like some will argue. Good job Goodell, way to run something we all love into the ground. I just need to stop ranting and drink another. Welcome to the NFL the

Noticeably
Fixed
League
Reply/Quote
Shoot ourselves in the foot. It's the constant. That is coaching and discipline with an emphasis on coaching. blow it up.
Reply/Quote
Actually ratings are down because of the Kapernick fiasco. They've even done polling showing that.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2016, 06:51 PM)TKUHL Wrote: With the way the rules are and as flag happy as the refs are, why the hell dont we take shots down field more. 

Becauase we don't get the BS calls most every other team gets. Our recievers are being interfered with on a consistent basis with no calls being given.
Reply/Quote
Cowboys just had a 97-yard TD drive within 30 seconds.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2016, 07:04 PM)Joelist Wrote: Actually ratings are down because of the Kapernick fiasco. They've even done polling showing that.

Good point, I didnt think about that. But football in general, not just our team has been really hard to watch this year due to the poor refs. at least its been that way with me.
Reply/Quote
bullshit. ratings are down b/c ratings could no longer go up. had to come down at some point......what? economy? we have one? NERP. it is what it is. don't buy the media b/s it doesn't exist.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2016, 07:10 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Cowboys just had a 97-yard TD drive within 30 seconds.

Pretty sure Marv thinks it's against the rules to do that.  Mellow
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Its also harder to go deep very often when you get in CONSISTENT 3rd and long.

But why we don't try more deep stuff against 1 on 1 man coverage ill never know

Weve drafted size at the WR and TE position for years and its coming back to hurt us. No one can get open now. I mean Lafell is one on one every single game all game and cant get dep
Reply/Quote
Our deep pass issues have causes both with players and scheme. We can't run at all even against defenses selling out against the pass which creates issues. Then there is a aforementioned inability of anyone to actually get separation and the last ingredient of this stew is the OL's poor pass blocking (not that again we had unblocked defenders running in). These issues force us into quick throws which means no time to let deep patterns develop.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2016, 06:51 PM)TKUHL Wrote: With the way the rules are and as flag happy as the refs are, why the hell dont we take shots down field more. Hell look at the BS call Balt got to get back in the game. Today Dalton had time, it seemed like every 1st was a run and if Dalton changed the play at the line it was to a run. I have never seen so many no calls (well unless we play Pitt) yet BS calls on us but at some point this team needs to overcome that. We never seem to be able to overcome a penalty, we stop ourselves with the conservative play calling. Do we need a diva wr? do we need that guy thats going to fight for the ref to throw the flag. For once I would like to see some damn fire in Green and others after a bad no call. On the D we continue to let teams off the hook with 3rd and long penalty's, whats up with all the chop blocks on our guys? Thats why Burfict and Jones were getting pissed. I would stress the loss of composure on our D but by the end I just wanted someone to take Gronks ass out. I think im just done with this mess. We can fire on D but not on Offense, If we fire on Offense our D gets burned, and if we play decent enough on both sides to hang in there we A. Shoot our self in the foot or B. The refs take over. The NFL is really hard to watch anymore. Ratings are down because of the BS rules, the amount of Control the refs have on the outcome of a game. Not because Manning retired or Brady has been suspended like some will argue. Good job Goodell, way to run something we all love into the ground. I just need to stop ranting and drink another. Welcome to the NFL the

Noticeably
Fixed
League

Only 2 QBs have more deep completions than Dalton this season, so we are taking shots.

Don't forget, defenses get to call plays that are designed to play to their own strengths or prevent scenarios just as the offense can.
Reply/Quote
Implying they would throw the flag for us and not on us.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2016, 07:34 PM)Joelist Wrote: Our deep pass issues have causes both with players and scheme. We can't run at all even against defenses selling out against the pass which creates issues. Then there is a aforementioned inability of anyone to actually get separation and the last ingredient of this stew is the OL's poor pass blocking (not that again we had unblocked defenders running in). These issues force us into quick throws which means no time to let deep patterns develop.

You forgot to mention mediocre deep ball arm strength. This QB can't just two step drop and wing it 50. It takes every ounce of his arm strength and excessive time on a seven step drop for the ball to still be under thrown.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2016, 07:44 PM)Rhinocero23 Wrote: You forgot to mention mediocre deepball arm strength. This QB can't just two step drop and wing it 50. It takes every onuce of his arm strength and excessive time on a seven step drop for the ball to still be under thrown.

jfkbengals debunked this nonsense upthread.
Reply/Quote
I feel other teams have been taking that away lately. Dalton did throw a deep beauty to LaFell, but it went right between his hands.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2016, 07:56 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I feel other teams have been taking that away lately. Dalton did throw a deep beauty to LaFell, but it went right between his hands.

I'm SURE there was something wrong with that pass too.....lololololol.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-16-2016, 07:56 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I feel other teams have been taking that away lately. Dalton did throw a deep beauty to LaFell, but it went right between his hands.

Feel free to tell me I am wrong, but at best I am only 60% sure I am remembering this correctly, but weren't you one of the people who were calling out those who said LaFell had crap hands this offseason, Shake?

That said, Dalton is leading the NFL in passes of 20+ yards, and is 8th in passes of 40+ yards. This is despite the fact that the OL is terrible so he can't get time to throw deep often, and his pass catchers have iffy hands.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2016, 07:46 PM)Joelist Wrote: jfkbengals debunked this nonsense upthread.

passes completed over 20 yards is not the "deep ball" being references here. Dalon is excellent on the short and medium throws. As is quite evident to anyone watching the Bengals...Andy does not have the type of arm that sends DB's backpedaling trying to stay deeper than the deepest threat. It is a part of the game he does not posses. He can not take the lid off the defense with a flick of the wrist...to say he can is just living in a fantasy world. 

If he could the defense would be less likely to stack the box, the line would not have to hold up as long etc...I am sure you get it. It is not Dalton's fault the line is not very good...he just does not posses the skill set to help out with the fear of the deep ball from a three step drop. 

The crazy formations Hue used were for the purpose to spread the defense out, this was by necessity not by want. Hue did not run those exoctitic formations when he had different QB's...there were there to hide deficiencies of the o-line coupled with a QB that can't fire it down the field LONG. 

I keep seeing post about QBR's on here like it counts for points...help me out how many points do you get for a 103 QBR? 
I am sure Andy would agree that he would rather have a QBR in the 50's with a win than a 103 QBR and a loss. A gunslinger he is not. When we get it a shoot out...a game manager is not going to drop 42 on ya! Just saying. Little too protective of the ball when we are against the clock and down points. Great for QBR's though!!
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2016, 09:55 PM)He\s all TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Feel free to tell me I am wrong, but at best I am only 60% sure I am remembering this correctly, but weren't you one of the people who were calling out those who said LaFell had crap hands this offseason, Shake?

That said, Dalton is leading the NFL in passes of 20+ yards, and is 8th in passes of 40+ yards. This is despite the fact that the OL is terrible so he can't get time to throw deep often, and his pass catchers have iffy hands.

Yes I defended his hands all offseason and I still stand by that. People were claiming he had Greg Little hands and that he'd drop 20 passes, etc. That talk was way over the top. LaFell isn't exactly Rice (or even MLJ) in that department, but he's not embarrassingly bad (ala Little) either. Today didn't change my stance. It was just one bad play. I'm satisfied overall with LaFell's performance. He's been a solid stop gap and I think our problems lie elsewhere.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2016, 10:10 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Yes I defended his hands all offseason and I still stand by that. People were claiming he had Greg Little hands and that he'd drop 20 passes, etc. That talk was way over the top. LaFell isn't exactly Rice (or even MLJ) in that department, but he's not embarrassingly bad (ala Little) either. Today didn't change my stance. It was just one bad play. I'm satisfied overall with LaFell's performance. He's been a solid stop gap and I think our problems lie elsewhere.

Yeah, don't think he has Greg Little hands, but I wouldn't rate them a plus skill.

Most of the problems lie elsewhere, you're right. That said, I still think having an Anquan Boldin type WR to be the super-reliable hands on third down and the like would be awfully nice. Dude isn't a deep threat at all (not that he was ever much of one), but dang, 36 years old and he put up 8/60/1 today. Must be comfortable for a QB to know that safety valve is always open.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote