Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Defense
we are improved from last year at every level. LB and age with Geno and Dunlap are only question marks. could be a surprising strength this year
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2020, 05:07 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: we are improved from last year at every level. LB and age with Geno and Dunlap are only question marks. could be a surprising strength this year

Yes, I expect the Defense to make the biggest jump on the team with the additions of proven vets in Free Agency. With Reader,
Alexander, Bell, Waynes, Bynes and then the Linebacker help in the Draft and Pratt growing into his own I say look for a good D
this year. Pratt is the guy to watch though IMO.
Reply/Quote
First of all we have to realize that over the last two seasons our defense has been the worst in team history.  Even worse than at anytime in the 90's.  So even if we make a big jump it may only be to the middle of the pack.

-The way Dunlap played the second half of last year age is not a problem with him.  I don't know about Geno.

-I honestly don't think we have improved our pass coverage by replacing Kirkpatrick and Dennard with Waynes and Alexander.  But at least Waynes and McKenzie have been able to stay healthy.  Waynes is an upgrade in tackling, but pass coverage is much more important in CBs.

-Reader and Bell are great additions.  Possibly the best free agent signings in team history.

-Pratt will be the break out player of the year.  I like the guys we drafted, but I believe Pratt will have a much bigger impact this year.

-Bynes is a career back up we signed signed off the scrap pile.  I don't expect him to help any.  Hopefully the rookies will step up so we don't have to depend on him.  

-Hubbard looks like he is developing into a very solid player.  He may never be a huge star, but the kind of guy you can build around.

-Guys like William Jackson and Jesse Bates have looked better than they did last year.  Don't know what all the problems were, but I am not asking for them to take their game to another level.  I am just hoping the bring it back to a level they have already shown.

-Coaching is still just a big question mark.  That could be the difference between this defense being good or sucking again.

Lots of questions, but I am pretty sure we will improve.  The question is how much.
Reply/Quote
Just middle of the pack would be a big upgrade. Have to think Reader will help Geno immediately get back into his groove.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2020, 06:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: First of all we have to realize that over the last two seasons our defense has been the worst in team history.  Even worse than at anytime in the 90's.  So even if we make a big jump it may only be to the middle of the pack.

-The way Dunlap played the second half of last year age is not a problem with him.  I don't know about Geno.

-I honestly don't think we have improved our pass coverage by replacing Kirkpatrick and Dennard with Waynes and McKenzie.  But at least Waynes and McKenzie have been able to stay healthy.  Waynes is an upgrade in tackling, but pass coverage is much more important in CBs.

-Reader and Bell are great additions.  Prossibly the best free agent signings in team history.

-Pratt will be the break out player of the year.  I like the guys we drafted, but I believe Pratt will have a much bigger impact this year.

-Bynes is a career back up we signed signed off the scrap pile.  I don't expect him to help any.  Hopefully the rookies will step up so we don't have to depend on him.  

-Hubbard looks like he is developing into a very solid player.  He may never be a huge star, but the kind of guy you can build around.

-Guys like William Jackson and Jesse Bates have looked better than they did last year.  Don't know what all the problems were, but I amnot asking for them to take their game to another level.  I am just hoping the bring it back to a level they have already shown.

-Coaching is still just a big question mark.  That could be the difference between this defense being good or sucking again.

Lots of questions, but I am pretty sure we will improve.  The question is how much.

Agree with everything but Bynes of course. Think Bynes will help the young Linebackers out a lot which is underrated.

The Linebackers have been the biggest reason why this Defense has been so bad lately. They didn't tackle or cover well and
were out of position lots of the time. Coaching is definitely a big reason for this. We will see how Golden does, our new LB 
coach.

Hubbard I think could be a star, he uses his hands so well and has great quickness and moves. He is so versatile.

(07-30-2020, 07:18 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: Just middle of the pack would be a big upgrade. Have to think Reader will help Geno immediately get back into his groove.

That is a big deal having a very good DT next to Geno to take up blockers who isn't a one trick pony.

Reader is a great run stopper and can rush the passer. He is what I thought Billings could of grown into.
Reply/Quote
With all of the turnover, and the crazy offseason we have had, I don't expect the defense to be very good early on. However I do think they should get better with each game, and should be able to show us something promising in the second half of the season.
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2020, 08:03 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: With all of the turnover, and the crazy offseason we have had, I don't expect the defense to be very good early on.  However I do think they should get better with each game, and should be able to show us something promising in the second half of the season.

Defense is usually better early on in the season which is another reason I think they are more ready than the Offense.

Offense takes awhile to get on the same page especially if you have a rookie QB.
Reply/Quote
The defense will surprise a lot of people this season and is the reason why I think this team can make some noise in the playoffs this year. 

The defense ran out & cold last season. Weeks 2-10 they were perhaps the worst defense to ever play in the modern day NFL. However in the other 8 games(week 1 + 11-17) they were actually a solid to good unit. 

In free agency they signed Reader, Bynes, Alexander, Wayne's, and Bell which improved the personal ever so slightly. Also they drafted 2 guys at LB that should get some PT in Wilson and Gaither.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
If this season actually happens; I have a feeling that we'll all be proud of the defense compared to last year.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Don't forget that the addition of Reader is going to improve the linebackers as well with multiple blockers forced to help on Reader.
Reply/Quote
I’ll believe it when I see it. This defense has been so bad the last 2 years and still lacks depth. A few injuries and we are right back where we started. As many have said, they only can get better from the last two seasons.
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2020, 09:07 PM)J24 Wrote: Weeks 2-10 they were perhaps the worst defense to ever play in the modern day NFL. 

You know how I am always attacking people for exaggerating about how bad the Bengals are?

I have nothing to say to J24.
Reply/Quote
I think the Bengals defensive success is tied Into the success of the offense
If this offense can put some points up early in games then the defense can play
Looser and faster.
Its hard for a defense to play at a high level when a offense runs 6 plays punt
3 plays punt.
And yes,the defense has to create more turnovers tackle better too.
It's complimentry football.
I think the LBers will make or break the defense this year. And it's evident
These new,LBers are more aligned skill set wise in defending opposing offenses
Watching Brown and Vigil last year was very painful
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2020, 12:28 AM)impactplaya Wrote: I think the Bengals defensive success is tied Into the success of the offense
If this offense can put some points up early in games then the defense can play
Looser and faster.
Its hard for a defense to play at a high level when a offense runs 6 plays punt
3 plays punt.
And yes,the defense has to create more turnovers tackle better too.
It's complimentry football.
I think the LBers will make or break the defense this year. And  it's evident
These new,LBers are more aligned skill set wise in defending opposing offenses
Watching Brown and Vigil last year was very painful

The defense is built to stop the passing game. So you are a 100%  that having a high power offense should help this unit.
 Last season teams only threw the ball against us 499 times which was the 2nd lowest pass attempts in the league last season. It's hard to rush the passer and get picks when teams are not throwing the ball against you.
 Also teams ran 504 times against us last season which was most in the league.

Playing in front of Atkins and Reader should make the LB job a lot easier this season. All they have to be is average and we'll be good. 
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
The first step in fixing the defense is stoping the run. If you can’t stop the run your gonna have issues you can get killed by play action pass , have short easy convertible downs which negates the pass rush and lose the time of possession battle. Love the additions of Reader he seems like a perfect AFC north nose tackle , Bell should be a better tackler than Williams and Wayne’s a better tackler than Kirkpatrick. Alexander is a great tackler as a slot CB but so was Dennard so it’s basically a wash there. Think it will take the linebackers some time to develop considering we’ll have two rookies and a 2nd year LB in Pratt , not sure what to make of Bynes just seems like a role guy to me.
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2020, 05:30 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yes, I expect the Defense to make the biggest jump on the team with the additions of proven vets in Free Agency. With Reader,
Alexander, Waynes, Bynes and then the Linebacker help in the Draft and Pratt growing into his own I say look for a good D this 
year. Pratt is the guy to watch though IMO.

Don't forget Vonn Bell...I think there is a reason that guy wins wherever he goes.  But you are dead on with respect to Pratt.  
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2020, 10:38 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Don't forget Vonn Bell...I think there is a reason that guy wins wherever he goes.  But you are dead on with respect to Pratt.  

Geez, how could I forget Bell? Edit time. Shocked
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2020, 09:53 AM)lone bengal Wrote:   Alexander is a great tackler as a slot CB but so was Dennard so it’s basically a wash there. 

Talent level is a wash, but Dennard could not stay healthy.  Alexander is a huge upgrade over the back ups we had to play when DD was out.

**knocks wood**
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2020, 02:20 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Talent level is a wash, but Dennard could not stay healthy.  Alexander is a huge upgrade over the back ups we had to play when DD was out.

**knocks wood**

Yep, the best ability is availability. 
Reply/Quote