Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Defense
I feel we have a fringe top 10 defense. Yet Taylors game management with 4th down calls does them no favors.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 05:12 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: I feel we have a fringe top 10 defense. Yet Taylors game management with 4th down calls does them no favors.

Or 3 ints from Burrow and fumble from Higgins.. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 05:18 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Or 3 ints from Burrow and fumble from Higgins.. 

TO Happen idiot coaching decisions shouldnt.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 05:40 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: TO Happen idiot coaching decisions shouldnt.

So players get a free pass got it..
Reply/Quote
Because of our totally incompetent coaches we have the #6 defense in the league.

Thanks, assholes.
Reply/Quote
90% of NFL teams win the game when their defense only gives up 13 points.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 06:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Because of our totally incompetent coaches we have the #6 defense in the league.

Thanks, assholes.

Total yards allowed can be a deceptive measure of a defense. Here are some efficiency numbers.

4th in yards per play allowed
6th in passing net yds/att (yards per attempt including sacks)
6th in both "pressure percentage" and "QB knockdown percentage"
7th in rushing yards per attempt
7th in sack percentage
10th in points per game.

Don't have missed tackle percentage" but Bengals have the third fewest missed tackles in the league with only 2 in 2 games.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 06:42 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: 90% of NFL teams win the game when their defense only gives up 13 points.

Yeah, the D should of won both games in all honesty. Burrow and company need to improve along with the blitz pickup.

Cannot put your Defense in those situations and that pick 6 and the following pick were terrible. Same with Tee's fumble.

Everybody needs to remember that Burrow has the freedom to pick the play he wants. He is still on his rookie year right now it 
seems after the injury. He just needs to calm down and see the Defense on the other side and either throw the ball the way if he 
doesn't see an open guy or hit the open guy. He had time on 2 of those picks and he knows it.

If Burrow gets his stuff together while the OL begins to gel and we can run the ball our Defense will only get better if they stay
healthy, love our entire D so far besides Apple.
Reply/Quote
My criterion for a good defense is points allowed. The 2000 Baltimore Ravens had the best defense in NFL history, only allowing a stingy 10.3 points per game. The 2021 Bengals are currently allowing 18.5 points per game — and no, I did not count the pick six as points allowed by the defense. This is a significant improvement over 2020 and 2019.
Reply/Quote
They’ve held some of the best players in league (Jefferson, Cook, Montgomery, Robinson) largely in check through two weeks.

Can’t ask for much more.

Reply/Quote
After shutting down Dalvin Cook and Montgomery (currently #2 in the league, isn't he?) I think it's safe to say teams are not going to be able to run on this defense. Once we get Waynes back and get Apple out of there (hopefully this week) they are going to have trouble throwing on us as well. It's all going to come down to the linebackers stopping the intermediate stuff.
Reply/Quote
we all agree defense is decent you protect this D by quit making dumb 4th down decisions on offense.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 05:12 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: I feel we have a fringe top 10 defense. Yet Taylors game management with 4th down calls does them no favors.

I believe our stats on D are slightly inflated due to the competition we've played but still we're way better than we have been. For sure !
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 09:26 AM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: we all agree defense is decent you protect this D by quit making dumb 4th down decisions on offense.

And not running the 3 yards in a cloud of air O.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 06:43 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Total yards allowed can be a deceptive measure of a defense. Here are some efficiency numbers.

4th in yards per play allowed
6th in passing net yds/att (yards per attempt including sacks)
6th in both "pressure percentage" and "QB knockdown percentage"
7th in rushing yards per attempt
7th in sack percentage
10th in points per game.

Don't have missed tackle percentage" but Bengals have the third fewest missed tackles in the league with only 2 in 2 games.

do they count the pick 6 as points against the D?   (cause at that point the offensive is the defense??)
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 09:26 AM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: we all agree defense is decent you protect this D by quit making dumb 4th down decisions on offense.

and eating some clock... 3 straight passes for INTs doesnt let the defense rest... At least run the ball 1 play. or something,  ( they might have at that point i was carrying rocks cause it was more entertaining)
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 09:29 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I believe our stats on D are slightly inflated due to the competition we've played but still we're way better than we have been. For sure !

Vikings have the #6 offense in the league (411 yds/gm)
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 09:29 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I believe our stats on D are slightly inflated due to the competition we've played but still we're way better than we have been. For sure !

Yes, holding 2 of the best running backs in the league to 60 yards each is nothing to crow about. Rolleyes
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote