Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Defense 1st half vs 2nd half of season
Quite a few BIG defensive statistical improvements from the first half to second half of the season.

1st half of season
6 games > 400 yards allowed
5 games > 175 yards rushing
6 turnovers
9 sacks
0 games allowing < 20 points
0 games QB rating < 80

2nd half of season
1 game > 400 yards allowed
0 games > 175 yards rushing
10 turnovers
22 sacks
3 games allowing < 20 points
4 games QB rating < 80
Reply/Quote
You could easily argue the defense played winning football in 6 of the 8 second half games with Baltimore and Miami being the exceptions. Of course, no one could stop Baltimore's offense. The defense obviously had zero offensive support in the 3 games Finley started.
Reply/Quote
About midway into the season I was ready for Lou to take a permanent vacation from Cinci. However, he pulled it together and his unit improved greatly after we got rid of dead weight at LB and allowed Pratt to develop. I cant help but to think that Anarumo was forced into using an awkward scheme due to the shortcomings of the roster. If he had 3 competent LBs to start the season and Dennard, I dont know if we would be worried about Lou at all. For that, he has earned a 2nd season in my mind. Of course, in Mike Browns mind he probably earned a decade extension, but me and Mike arent like minded lol.
Reply/Quote
I think the coaching staff stays intact because for the most part they all showed progress in the 2nd half of the year. There were growing pains but I think they are trending upward. There are some personnel upgrades, especially at LB, that need made but I think from Taylor's comments earlier in the year they know LB has to be dealt with.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 11:34 AM)bengaloo Wrote: About midway into the season I was ready for Lou to take a permanent vacation from Cinci. However, he pulled it together and his unit improved greatly after we got rid of dead weight at LB and allowed Pratt to develop. I cant help but to think that Anarumo was forced into using an awkward scheme due to the shortcomings of the roster. If he had 3 competent LBs to start the season and Dennard, I dont know if we would be worried about Lou at all. For that, he has earned a 2nd season in my mind. Of course, in Mike Browns mind he probably earned a decade extension, but me and Mike arent like minded lol.

lou did turn it around and had a strong red zone defense the whole way...
Reply/Quote
Indeed; I was one of many wanting Lou gone, but he either changed things around to death or lit a torch under everyone's asses.

We were a significantly better defensive team in the 2nd half.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 11:48 AM)Au165 Wrote: I think the coaching staff stays intact because for the most part they all showed progress in the 2nd half of the year. There were growing pains but I think they are trending upward. There are some personnel upgrades, especially at LB, that need made but I think from Taylor's comments earlier in the year they know LB has to be dealt with.

Completely agree. 
Reply/Quote
As I've said before, I'm totally behind giving Zac and Lou more time. I don't know about Callahan, because he's not calling plays.... also, it seems the Oline coach everyone was hating on has turned his unit around as well. First half of the season, Andy was running for his life. 2nd half, not so much, and the run blocking vastly improved.
Reply/Quote