Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Defense Improved?
(08-02-2021, 08:36 PM)jj22 Wrote: Love what I'm hearing about the D.

That's what she said. 
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2021, 09:13 AM)PhilHos Wrote: That's what she said. 

Just like her… seeing is believing.
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2021, 02:04 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Mike Hilton shutting Chase down.

LOVE the Hilton signing!...for the mentality/ approach, as well as his play on the field.  

I'm not putting too much into any of the camp stories I've heard thus far - good or bad, but w/ a healthy DJ Reader, I have extremely high confidence that we should see a significantly better defense this year.  It's nearly impossible to win close games when the opposing team can run on you at will, and kind of surprising to even be in a close game in this scenario.  I am a huge fan of what the organization did (something I wish I could say more often lol) in attempts at improving the defense. 
Reply/Quote
Last year Our DTs were just as bad as our OGs.  If Reader and Ogunjobi can stay healthy and play like they did in 2019 we will have one of the better DT duos in the league.  Should make a world of difference.  Edge rushers can't get to the QB when he can just step up into the pocket.

We had so many injuries at CB last year that the guys playing were not just back ups.  They were third-string bottom of the roster guys.  Not only was Waynes out for the entire season, but Jackson, Alexander, and Phillips also missed multiple games. We had to play LeShaun Sims, Jalen Davis, and Tony Brown 773 snaps on defense which is almost as many as Jackson (886) and more than both Alexander (642) and Phillips (593).

LBs should be improved just because they are a year older.

Not a lot of faith in Lou, but the talent level should be much improved if we don't get killed by injuries again.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2021, 07:25 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I think we can say the same of the offense and defense, not a good showing last two years but if you look at who is the projected starters now from just two years ago it is great change over, you have probably 4/5 starters on offense and 3 starters on defense from 2019 year, so that is roughly 65% change in starters in just 2 years. 

Unless those new starters are better than the old ones, I do not see this change over as a good thing. Yes, AJ and Geno got old and needed to be replaced, that happens with every great player eventually.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-02-2021, 06:57 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Maybe Sweet Lou has something cookin on Bengals D.  I must say, I am a little concerned about the O at this point.  I know D is > O at this point, but still.  

I love it. This is what I wanted to see, I hate my D sucking and the D owning Burrow and the O at this time of year is better 
then if Joe and company were just having their way. The front 7 needs to improve big time, if they do we could be back to 
being a top Defense again which is what I want. Burrow and company will get it down eventually but there is a lot of moving
parts from last year to this year on both sides of the ball and Offense is always a little slower to get things rolling.
Reply/Quote
Even sweet Lou can beat ZT like a filthy rug.
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2021, 01:29 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Even sweet Lou can beat ZT like a filthy rug.

It's Definitely Inspiring
Reply/Quote
If the Bengals offense can consistantly score TDs and maintain
Leads of 8 pts in the 4th Q that will go along way in helping the defense Out . Part of improving the pass rush is forcing teams to throw when they are a couple,scores down in
The later stages of the game.
Teams simply ran the ball at will on the Bengals with under
10 mins to go in the game.
I think Mayfield and Wentz were able lead decisive scoring drives
With their arns. I cant think of too many other QBs
That had rally vs,the Bengals via throwing
Reply/Quote
a hint at the dynamics hurting last year's team

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
The good thing about practice is we still win whether the D or O wins the day. The offense has a lot more bugs and things to work through so it makes sense the D is dominating right off the bat. Burrow is coming off major injury and will have some rust to break off when it comes to live play, a new OL coach with new running scheme, a work in progress OL in terms of players, a rookie starting WR, etc. The O will need more reps than the D for sure. I love hearing the secondary is looking good though, and the LBs.
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2021, 08:35 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Hard to tell from that quick angle, but I'm guessing there would be a flag on that play.  That said, I've said before, I think Lou will surprise people this year. He has built this defense to run his system. Fast Linebackers, a fast secondary with attitude and guys who love contact and aren't afraid to tackle (looking at you WJIII), and he has a D line that so far is not 6th and 7th string. I put Lou squarely with Taylor this year, they have had two years to build their team, so it's time to show up.

I'm VERY encouraged by the improvement of the D.   Love the way they have put this together, and agree not only about WJIII but J. Kirkpatrick as far as consistent tackling failures.  If the D line gets healthy and stays healthy, this could be a very good defense.

And I'm not all that concerned about the offense.   They did too much good last year with a marginal at best O-line and Chase.   Also love the dude from San Fran and Pooka.   Can't wait to see how it all shakes out, but I'm thinking the improvement on both sides of the ball is going to be dramatic.
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2021, 02:54 PM)pally Wrote: a hint at the dynamics hurting last year's team

I don't mean to point fingers, but I gotta point out that he is pointing his finger at finger pointers pointing fingers. 
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2021, 08:35 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Hard to tell from that quick angle, but I'm guessing there would be a flag on that play.  That said, I've said before, I think Lou will surprise people this year. He has built this defense to run his system. Fast Linebackers, a fast secondary with attitude and guys who love contact and aren't afraid to tackle (looking at you WJIII), and he has a D line that so far is not 6th and 7th string. I put Lou squarely with Taylor this year, they have had two years to build their team, so it's time to show up.

That’s a good play by Mike Hilton and I’m sure there would be no call for pass interference if he was still a Steeler. In all seriousness this looked like a clean play because Hilton didn’t appear to make any contact with Ja’Marr Chase. To me this looked like a textbook reach-around pass defense effort and I’m impressed. The idea is for a defensive back to basically get inside leverage and interject his arms into the receiver’s catch radius and break up the pass with as little body to body contact as possible.
Reply/Quote

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote