Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Defense Still Wins Championships
Yes, Bengaldom! The Cincinnati defense rose to the occasion last night and took over the game. Seven sacks and two interceptions against Matthew Stanford is outstanding and watching the big guys up front completely abuse the Rams’ offensive line was a thing of beauty. The Front Office needs to do all it can to keep Lou Anarumo in the house as long as possible.

The defense played fast and last night was the first time all season I wasn’t worried because Von Bell and Jessie Bates weren’t on the back end. Trey Hendrickson was on Matthew Stanford like Deshaun Watson on a massage therapist and Sam Hubbard was outstanding on the other end of the line.

The Bengals will win a lot this year. As long as the defense plays like they did last night the offense can take time, find an identity, get Joe Burrow healthy, and wrack the league all over again.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
No, defense doesn’t win championships. KC is doing just fine with a lousy defense. This defense played great last night and they played awful the first 2 games. Our run defense still looks very very bad. We got lucky LA didn’t run it more. These jet sweeps are killing us.

I love Hendrickson, he may be the best free agent singing we’ve ever had. But no one else on this line gets consistent pressure. It’s going to be an issue this year and in to the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2023, 08:56 AM)Ell Prez Wrote: No, defense doesn’t win championships. KC is doing just fine with a lousy defense. This defense played great last night and they played awful the first 2 games. Our run defense still looks very very bad. We got lucky LA didn’t run it more. These jet sweeps are killing us.

I love Hendrickson, he may be the best free agent singing we’ve ever had. But no one else on this line gets consistent pressure. It’s going to be an issue this year and in to the playoffs.

Orlando brown may just have something to say. He stonewalled Donald the few times he lined up at RDe.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2023, 08:56 AM)Ell Prez Wrote: No, defense doesn’t win championships. KC is doing just fine with a lousy defense. This defense played great last night and they played awful the first 2 games. Our run defense still looks very very bad. We got lucky LA didn’t run it more. These jet sweeps are killing us.

I’ll give you last week but Jackson is not every QB in the nfl. They played well enough against Cleveland for most of that game. Lionshare of tge blame goes to the offense for these games
Reply/Quote
I'd rather score 70 each week tbh.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2023, 09:40 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I'd rather score 70 each week tbh.

You're some sort of nihilist.. I want em to score 170 every week.. lol
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2023, 09:40 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I'd rather score 70 each week tbh.

Yep. Miami looks like an Alien Offense right now... but lets not forget we shut them down last yr wearing our unbeatable tighty whities
Reply/Quote
Offense gets some blame game one - game two was all on the defense. Last night was defense redemption.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2023, 10:41 AM)Joelist Wrote: Offense gets some blame game one - game two was all on the defense. Last night was defense redemption.

Yes. That's the thing.

The Ravens had backup lineman in and the defense could have taken over that game...but didn't.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2023, 08:02 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Yes, Bengaldom!  The Cincinnati defense rose to the occasion last night and took over the game.  Seven sacks and two interceptions against Matthew Stanford is outstanding and watching the big guys up front completely abuse the Rams’ offensive line was a thing of beauty.  The Front Office needs to do all it can to keep Lou Anarumo in the house as long as possible.  

The defense played fast and last night was the first time all season I wasn’t worried because Von Bell and Jessie Bates weren’t on the back end.  Trey Hendrickson was on Matthew Stanford like Deshaun Watson on a massage therapist and Sam Hubbard was outstanding on the other end of the line.

The Bengals will win a lot this year.  As long as the defense plays like they did last night the offense can take time, find an identity, get Joe Burrow healthy, and wrack the league all over again.

Defense wins games. 

Offense wins championships.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2023, 11:12 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Defense wins games. 

Offense wins championships.

Teams win championships.
Reply/Quote
As long as we're singing about the defense, let's get a round of applause for future Star Dax Hill. I know that Wilson and Hendrickson stole the show with multiple INTs and Sacks respectively, but Hill is clearly showing exactly why he was a 1st round pick with that lightning quickness and tackling.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2023, 08:56 AM)Ell Prez Wrote: No, defense doesn’t win championships. KC is doing just fine with a lousy defense. This defense played great last night and they played awful the first 2 games. Our run defense still looks very very bad. We got lucky LA didn’t run it more. These jet sweeps are killing us.

neither side of the ball wins championships but what each side of the ball can do is win a game or two when other side of the ball is not doing well, that happen last night
Reply/Quote
Logan Wilson is my fave defender and yesterday he showed why.

Dude is a TRUE linebacker/safety hybrid. Not many guys can do what he does. I love him because when he commits to getting in coverage he’s locking shit up.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2023, 08:56 AM)Ell Prez Wrote: No, defense doesn’t win championships. KC is doing just fine with a lousy defense. This defense played great last night and they played awful the first 2 games. Our run defense still looks very very bad. We got lucky LA didn’t run it more. These jet sweeps are killing us.

LOL. Do you watch other teams? KC is/has been far from a lousy defense and was top 10 last year. The Cinci. D did NOT play lousy against the Stains. You can't leave your defense out there the entire game with that anemic, at best, Bengal offensive performance. Offense gave up the ball with 11 minutes to go in the game on their own 28 yard line and you want to blame the D? Man, some on this board gets dumber and dumber.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2023, 02:48 PM)higgy100 Wrote: LOL. Do you watch other teams? KC is/has been far from a lousy defense and was top 10 last year. The Cinci. D did NOT play lousy against the Stains. You can't leave your defense out there the entire game with that anemic, at best, Bengal offensive performance. Offense gave up the ball with 11 minutes to go in the game on their own 28 yard line and you want to blame the D? Man, some on this board gets dumber and dumber.

The defense could have won both of the first two had the offensive been up to snuff..but they were on the field way too much because of too many back to back 3&outs. The best they could have hoped for against Cleveland was a 3-3 tie.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote

Unless you have a historically good offense, defense still wins championships.

Actually, the most high-powered defense in history (Pats) lost in the Super Bowl because the Giants had a pass rush that got to Brady.

Times have changed, but a pass rush is still the best way to win a championship if you can at least put up some points.

I was impressed by our pass rush last night (specifically Hubbard and Hendrickson), and with the stunts and schemes that Lou called. I remember one third down where I saw the tackle take an outside rush and the end did around him to rush from the inside and then a backer blitzed between them when they had passed. The other side of the line did a similar stunt but without the backer blitzing. I saw calls like that all night and it was fun to watch.

If Ossai can come back and be anywhere near as good as H&H and can help to keep us fresh, our pass rush will be tough to stop!
Reply/Quote
Defence is still a huge part of winning a championship. You don't need to be a shutout defence, but to me the Bengals are a great example of why defence's will probably take you further than offences. We haven't been great with the ball in the postseason, but we sure have been great without it and we're 5-2 as a result.

You'll get freak teams with a guy like Mahomes at QB. But that isn't the norm. The Dolphins look amazing right now, and maybe that'll continue, but ill be shocked if they don't have way less success moving the ball in the playoffs. Coaching dials in on teams once the matchups are set and find ways to slow teams down.

Hate to use these guys as an example, but the Ravens and Steelers have generally spent a lot of the last 20 years showing you that if your defence is good, you'll be in most games you play. We're fortunate to have a defence that on it's day can keep us in a game with the elite teams, almost regardless of our offence.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2023, 03:46 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Unless you have a historically good offense, defense still wins championships.

Actually, the most high-powered defense in history (Pats) lost in the Super Bowl because the Giants had a pass rush that got to Brady.

Times have changed, but a pass rush is still the best way to win a championship if you can at least put up some points.

I was impressed by our pass rush last night (specifically Hubbard and Hendrickson), and with the stunts and schemes that Lou called. I remember one third down where I saw the tackle take an outside rush and the end did around him to rush from the inside and then a backer blitzed between them when they had passed. The other side of the line did a similar stunt but without the backer blitzing. I saw calls like that all night and it was fun to watch.

If Ossai can come back and be anywhere near as good as H&H and can help to keep us fresh, our pass rush will be tough to stop!

And it's because a dominant pass rush can disrupt a high powered offense.

But, there are teams with a dominant pass rush, that don't make the playoffs (Cleveland/Arizona).
Reply/Quote
Our defense played well against an offensive devoid of talent. I wouldn't read much into this as any sort of statement on our defense.
Reply/Quote