Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Defense is a HUGE issue.
FFS..... They won the AFCN the last two years with this team. It's simply amazing how a little bit of adversity turns this board into.... Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry
Reply/Quote
The Safeties are bad neither 1 are capable starters. Are complete lack of a ground game to protect the Defense doesnt help either. Either find a RB or a couple S or we may have to put 30 a game to win next year as well
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2023, 01:28 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: The Safeties are bad neither 1 are capable starters. Are complete lack of a ground game to protect the Defense doesnt help either. Either find a RB or a couple S or we may have to put 30 a game to win next year as well

Battle is not bad at all, and he absolutely looks like starter material. He’s been grading out very well most of the season.

Dax I’m starting to worry about.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-23-2023, 11:40 PM)Stonyhands Wrote: This just isn’t a well coached team.   There’s no identity, not one thing you can point at and say they do really well.   Just so much inconsistency.   Honestly it’s probably leadership from certain players that have given the team the success they’ve seen in recent years and they’ve lost some of those guys on defense.   There’s not very many games if any where you can point to coaching and a great gameplan that was responsible for winning games.  Lou’s bend but don’t break defense has always irked me but they were opportunistic and made plays when needed.  Now they are just dog shit and he’s terrible at situational play calling.   The amount of blown coverages and guys wide open on a consistent basis means he’s getting outcoached and the players he’s went after either aren’t good or have regressed.

CB’s play 10 yards off the line because they can’t cover anyone. Zone defense leaves huge holes every where. Mahomes will pick us apart next week. 
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2023, 01:28 PM)Sled21 Wrote: FFS..... They won the AFCN the last two years with this team. It's simply amazing how a little bit of adversity turns this board into.... Cry  Cry  Cry  Cry  Cry

The 2 wins against Baltimore last year were a gift. Playing against backup QB’s and the gift fumble recovery at the goal line for a TD. Other wise we lose both games and don’t go and play KC in playoff game the following week
Reply/Quote
Having an elite healthy QB throughout the season helps in so many hidden ways like helping the defense practice against an elite level thrower in practice through out week. You generate more first down give defense rest stopping run isn't as important because you generally always have a lead average fans dont get concepts like this.
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2023, 01:53 PM)Timanky12 Wrote: The 2 wins against Baltimore last year were a gift. Playing against backup QB’s and the gift fumble recovery at the goal line for a TD. Other wise we lose both games and don’t go and play KC in playoff game the following week

You can say Baltimore got 2 gifts against us this season too though. The 1st game they got a hobbled Joe Burrow, and the 2nd he obviously didn’t finish (and he was looking good, too). The NFL is a war of attrition, and the teams that stay the healthiest usually have the most success.

Reply/Quote
(12-24-2023, 02:25 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: You can say Baltimore got 2 gifts against us this season too though. The 1st game they got a hobbled Joe Burrow, and the 2nd he obviously didn’t finish (and he was looking good, too). The NFL is a war of attrition, and the teams that stay the healthiest usually have the most success.

Yea, but you have to have good healthy players. Our defense can’t keep anyone from moving the ball, when we had no injuries.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2023, 10:27 PM)Mer Wrote: Watching the last few games I've been wondering what had happened to Logan Wilson. He's taking bad angles and looks slow. Earlier in the year Pratt looked pretty good but lately not so much.

Logan has taken a lot of bad angles trying to let the sideline be his friend but he just hasn't had the speed to get the dudes out of bounds
before they cut up field. Pratt on the other hand was just terrible yesterday, lit up by Warren on the TD toss, taking bad angles, poor tackling
cutting off Chido on the first Pickens TD after Dax took another poor angle which allowed for the big play in the first place etc.

Lou is going to have to work with these guys on taking the right angles in the Offseason.
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2023, 01:28 PM)Sled21 Wrote: FFS..... They won the AFCN the last two years with this team. It's simply amazing how a little bit of adversity turns this board into.... Cry  Cry  Cry  Cry  Cry

Not with this defense they didn't cmon now...
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2023, 01:22 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I don’t always agree with Vinyl, but he’s right on this one. I absolutely believe the Bengals had teams like the Chiefs and Bills in mind when they drafted Chase.

Nate Burleson said the same thing at the time.

“I feel like they weren’t thinking about the AFC North,” Burleson said on GMFB. “I believe that they were thinking about the AFC. They went for Chase because they were thinking about going up against Patrick Mahomes. And why not? If you’re gonna swing, swing big.”

I don't think the Bengals draft like that. I think the Bengals had a need for an explosive playmaker and the best one was right there for them. Chase was the right choice, regardless of division. I also think they draft for contract/roster composition.

Now, do they value certain types of players at certain positions? SURE. They have to prepare for guys that can hold up in the cold. But why draft for the Browns or Ravens, who run a ton, when the rest of your schedule passes a ton, regardless of who is on it? The entire league passes a ton with the exception of  or 3 teams. I think the Bengals are just doing their own thing. I love the results. They just had MAJOR injuries this season.
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2023, 01:28 PM)Sled21 Wrote: FFS..... They won the AFCN the last two years with this team. It's simply amazing how a little bit of adversity turns this board into.... Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry

That was last year. Just like browns fans jumping back to the 1960 NFL championship. This front office did not adjust to the changes within the division. It is embarrassing

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
People here keep saying they won the AFCN the last two years and that's true and shows some progress but it's the same thing as finishing 2nd, 3rd, or 4th in the Indy 500,, nobody remembers or cares, it's only who won the big trophy? The one that really counts and proves total success for the year.
Reply/Quote
I can't help but wonder if our overall lack of aggressiveness on D plays a big part? Sure we've had games where the D is playing "on their toes" and kicking butt and taking names. But more often than not they seem to be more into just reacting to what the opposing O does. Not really trying to force their will.

I've heard it said that teams kinda take on the personality of their coach. Is this part of the issue? Lou is just not an aggressive style coach?

I'm not saying they need to blitz six guys on every snap. Just don't be so laid back reacting all the time. Force your will on them!! Take charge
Reply/Quote
I think we need another 2 or 3 threads on how bad the D is.
Reply/Quote
Improve the play up the middle. Big improvements needed at NT and safety. I don’t understand why the run game was so poor even with Reader playing. It probably was due to the poor play at safety.

Reply/Quote
(12-29-2023, 01:28 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I think we need another 2 or 3 threads on how bad the D is.

Well my thread was the first one after the Steelers game.... and thanks for bumping it up again.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2023, 10:47 AM)Bronxbengal Wrote: Improve the play up the middle.  Big improvements needed at NT and safety.  I don’t understand why the run game was so poor even with Reader playing.  It probably was due to the poor play at safety.  

Hilarious, blame the Safeties for poor run Defense eh...

That is the front 7's job, the Safeties job is to not get beat deep and clean up after the DL fails. The Safeties haven't been terrible at this.

They just need to take better angles and not quit on any given play. Both Pickens TD's as examples.
Reply/Quote
We play a nickel type defense with Hilton on the field instead of another linebacker.

We never play man or very rarely we are always in zone easy for players to find the holes against us.

We built this team to beat the NFC teams while we play in the AFC north maybe they plan on moving out west and becoming an NFC team.

We do not adjust the defense to who we play we should be in 3-4 against teams that run the ball well and all AFC north games and nickel against the throw heavy teams.

We should get our starters in work in the offseason no matter who is injured. We most likely practice soft as well since Zac is all about not getting guys injured. This is why we start slow every year and throw away at least 2 games.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2023, 04:05 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Hilarious, blame the Safeties for poor run Defense eh...

That is the front 7's job, the Safeties job is to not get beat deep and clean up after the DL fails. The Safeties haven't been terrible at this.

They just need to take better angles and not quit on any given play. Both Pickens TD's as examples.

You said it yourself. Better tackling by the safety thanks for proving my point

Reply/Quote