Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Defense is lacking that killer instinct vs .500.or better teams.
um.yeah closing out with defensive stands vs the Dolphins Colts and Falcons is nice.
but all 3 arent playoff teams.
but vs Pittsburgh the defense melted and could not hold its water.
no one on defense stepped up and made a play when the Bengals needed it the most.
if this team wants to be a contender it has to shut down CONTENDERS in crunch time.
what Im seeing on defense is a lack of a true leader when it needs it the most.
yeah MJ and Hubbard stepped up vs a depleted Fins oline.
nothing today.
Willis did nothing. Lawson is continuing to be invisiable after a promising rookie yr.
i just dont see much fire from this defense.
i really see a bunch of hard working "nice" guys.
really wish some of these guys had Adam Jones fire.
Reply/Quote
It's FAR worse than lack of killer instinct. Zero pressure, no tackling, horrible pillow soft zone coverages. This is BY FAR the worst defense in the NFL.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
You conveniently left out our win against Baltimore. Guess that game means nothing.

Reply/Quote
(10-15-2018, 12:11 AM)Joelist Wrote: It's FAR worse than lack of killer instinct. Zero pressure, no tackling, horrible pillow soft zone coverages. This is BY FAR the worst defense in the NFL.

I honestly think you know nothing about football. Seriously.
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2018, 12:19 AM)thillan Wrote: I honestly think you know nothing about football. Seriously.

Which remark proves you know nothing about football if you even think this defense is not the worst in the NFL. 
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2018, 12:22 AM)Joelist Wrote: Which remark proves you know nothing about football if you even think this defense is not the worst in the NFL. 

I'll take this defense any day of the week against:

KC, Tampa Bay, the current Atlanta Falcons, and Oakland.

I also saw you posted in another thread that we are possibly the worst in NFL history.

LMAO
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2018, 12:24 AM)thillan Wrote: I'll take this defense any day of the week against:

KC, Tampa Bay, the current Atlanta Falcons, and Oakland.

I also saw you posted in another thread that we are possibly the worst in NFL history.

LMAO

At the clip we are on we could EASILY hit that mark. Our third down conversions allowed is historically bad and we're already at a horrific 409 yards a game and only heading up on that number. We're at 29 PPG allowed and heading in the wrong direction on that too. I called them the worst in the NFL because if anything the stats make them look less inept than they are. 24 quarters of football so far and we've had barely passable defense in 5 and good defense in 1. 
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2018, 12:37 AM)Joelist Wrote: At the clip we are on we could EASILY hit that mark. Our third down conversions allowed is historically bad and we're already at a horrific 409 yards a game and only heading up on that number. We're at 29 PPG allowed and heading in the wrong direction on that too. I called them the worst in the NFL because if anything the stats make them look less inept than they are. 24 quarters of football so far and we've had barely passable defense in 5 and good defense in 1. 

Never mind that our defense really kept us in the game today until the end, and also had 2 touchdowns last week against Miami..

We won't come anywhere near worst defense of all time. Your emotions swing wayyyyy too severely on to the pessimistic side following a loss to a strong Pittsburgh team. Calm down.

We're 4-2, and still leading the AFC North.

Oh, and I'd also take our defense over the Pittsburgh's.
Reply/Quote
Miami is 4-2 and just beat a good Bears team.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
The way I see it, Zimmer crafted our "Late Lewis Era" defense. Guenther was a capable steward that maintained that same level of play.

But with this Austin ***** character, we've went back to early "Bend hopefully we don't break" defense, relying on turnovers like Deltha O'Neal was still here. Someone mentioned Chuck Bresnahan, I wouldn't disagree.

Do "***** Football Rules" equate to Burfict (and everyone not named Preston) bouncing off the TE like jello? Hell, I don't know, but tackle something, someone, tackle the ***** camera again. And I like Burfict, but we're playing sloppy on defense. Even in the last two losing seasons we could count on our D to keep us in games, until they got tired from our sterile offense. As for out D-Line, we didn't touch Ben because the refs rarely call holding penalties on the Steelers, like they would on us. I watched Atkins being held, then the next play, on a double team, they call Atkins for holding...? Yeah...

But now? The Chiefs lose and we're going into a 4-3 situation in Kansas City? And regardless of our standing after next week, I don't trust this D or coaching in the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2018, 12:08 AM)impactplaya Wrote: um.yeah closing out with defensive stands vs the Dolphins Colts and Falcons is nice.
but all 3 arent playoff teams.
but vs Pittsburgh the defense melted and could not hold its water.
no one on defense stepped up and made a play when the Bengals needed it the most.
if this team wants to be a contender it has to shut down CONTENDERS in crunch time.
what Im seeing on defense is a lack of a true leader when it needs it the most.
yeah MJ and Hubbard stepped up vs a depleted Fins oline.
nothing today.
Willis did nothing. Lawson is continuing to be invisiable after a promising rookie yr.
i just dont see much fire from this defense.
i really see a bunch of hard working "nice" guys.
really wish some of these guys had Adam Jones fire.

Nah.  What it's lacking is talent.  We need 2 LB's, another S and the biggest need of all--a NT who cannot be moved.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(10-15-2018, 12:11 AM)Joelist Wrote: This is BY FAR the worst defense in the NFL.

This is BY FAR the "Drama Queen Post of the Season".
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2018, 12:22 AM)Joelist Wrote: Which remark proves you know nothing about football if you even think this defense is not the worst in the NFL. 

Just curious but why would you claim we are the worst in the league when we are not last in any category?

We have played 3 of the top 6 offenses in the league, so it is not like our stats are skewed by an easy schedule.
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2018, 02:47 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Just curious but why would you claim we are the worst in the league when we are not last in any category?

We have played 3 of the top 6 offenses in the league, so it is not like our stats are skewed by an easy schedule.

We are worst in third down conversions and it isn't close. We are close to the bottom in yards per game and also points per game. I look at thin gs in combination and also go by what I see - this is far and away the worst defense in the NFL. 
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2018, 01:32 AM)Older Than You Too Wrote: The way I see it, Zimmer crafted our "Late Lewis Era" defense. Guenther was a capable steward that maintained that same level of play.

But with this Austin ***** character, we've went back to early "Bend hopefully we don't break" defense, relying on turnovers like Deltha O'Neal was still here. Someone mentioned Chuck Bresnahan, I wouldn't disagree.

Do "***** Football Rules" equate to Burfict (and everyone not named Preston) bouncing off the TE like jello? Hell, I don't know, but tackle something, someone, tackle the ***** camera again. And I like Burfict, but we're playing sloppy on defense. Even in the last two losing seasons we could count on our D to keep us in games, until they got tired from our sterile offense. As for out D-Line, we didn't touch Ben because the refs rarely call holding penalties on the Steelers, like they would on us. I watched Atkins being held, then the next play, on a double team, they call Atkins for holding...? Yeah...

But now? The Chiefs lose and we're going into a 4-3 situation in Kansas City? And regardless of our standing after next week, I don't trust this D or coaching in the playoffs.

Zimmer junked the base zone defense. He had some zone looks but we ran press man a lot and it worked well. 
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2018, 03:36 PM)Joelist Wrote: We are worst in third down conversions and it isn't close. We are close to the bottom in yards per game and also points per game. I look at thin gs in combination and also go by what I see - this is far and away the worst defense in the NFL. 

This is utter horse shit.  Nothing backs up this claim.  
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(10-15-2018, 03:40 PM)McC Wrote: This is utter horse shit.  Nothing backs up this claim.  

Mcc I love ya man and your posts but we are Low on the totem pole for getting off the field on 3rd downs!

Reply/Quote
every effin week it's either a tackling thing or a 3rd down thing or a

HEART ATTACK!!! at least us fans have them!

Reply/Quote
I've proven this point already in other threads and posts. Worst third down rate in the league and it isn't close - that is a KEY stat. Yards almost at the bottom. PPG 23rd and certain to get way worse. You have other defenses that have problems in one or another areas but across the board the only other D in the NFL even close to as bad as us might be KC. 24 quarters of play and we've had exactly 1 where the D looked legit and 3 others where it looked sort of passable.
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2018, 03:36 PM)Joelist Wrote: We are worst in third down conversions and it isn't close. We are close to the bottom in yards per game and also points per game. I look at thin gs in combination and also go by what I see - this is far and away the worst defense in the NFL. 

You are just talking out your ass.

We are not last in third down conversion percentage, the Falcons are.  Nine teams are allowing more points per game.  2 teams are allowing more yards.  11 teams are allowing more yards per play.

!2 teams are allowing more rushing yards per game.  8 teams are allowing more yards per carry.

Opposing QBs have compiled a better passer rating against 13 other teams than the Bengals and four other teams are allowing more passing yards per game.

12 teams have allowed more rushing yards per game and 8 have allowed more rushing yards per attempt.

Our defense is far from good, but this "BY FAR the worst in the league" is just drama queen garbage.
Reply/Quote