Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Defense round 2
(03-01-2020, 01:59 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: QB of the defense could be a LB or a Safety.  If one of the top shelf Safeties is there, like maybe a Grant Delpit, I'd be equally satisfied as I would with one of the top LBs.

I could see safety Chinn or Dugger would be interesting at SS. They need a Fultcher type of player back there.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2020, 08:35 PM)J24 Wrote: I could see safety Chinn or Dugger would be interesting at SS. They need a Fultcher type of player back there.

I agree, but my personal philosophy on how a defense should be designed differs a bit from how the Bengals view it.  I buy into the school of thought that the basis of a great defense is to be strong up the middle, meaning a NT that commands two blockers on every play, LBs that can shed blocks and stuff the run, and the most ruthless men in the league playing Safety.  Force the action to the edges, and fill those positions with fast, sure tacklers.

The Bengals on the other hand put their premium on the edge players, both on the DL and in the secondary.  How many years to we need to see them get dominated in the middle of the field, to prove that it's not the way?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2020, 08:57 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I agree, but my personal philosophy on how a defense should be designed differs a bit from how the Bengals view it.  I buy into the school of thought that the basis of a great defense is to be strong up the middle, meaning a NT that commands two blockers on every play, LBs that can shed blocks and stuff the run, and the most ruthless men in the league playing Safety.  Force the action to the edges, and fill those positions with fast, sure tacklers.

The Bengals on the other hand put their premium on the edge players, both on the DL and in the secondary.  How many years to we need to see them get dominated in the middle of the field, to prove that it's not the way?

The last time we had a great Safety our Defense was damn good.

His name be Reggie.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2020, 12:53 AM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: The last time we had a great Safety our Defense was damn good.

His name be Reggie.

Exactly, and he was a great FA signing when they got him. Our D hasnt been the same since he left hands down.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2020, 02:26 PM)bengaloo Wrote: Exactly, and he was a great FA signing when they got him. Our D hasnt been the same since he left hands down.

True, I would be ecstatic with Delpit at 33.
Reply/Quote
Patrick queen or kenneth murray should be our pick.
Tiger

2024 MOCK DRAFT (4 ROUND)

1ST ROUND-OT-JC LATHAM-ALABAMA
2ND ROUND-OG-COOPER BEEBE-KANSAS
3RD ROUND-DT-DEWAYNE CARTER-DUKE
3RD ROUND-WR-JACOB COWING-ARIZONA
4TH ROUND-CB-MIKE SAINRISTIL-MICHIGAN
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2020, 06:30 PM)Nati#1 Wrote: Patrick queen or kenneth murray should be our pick.

The more I learn about Queen, the more I see project pick. He was a late round prospect before the CFP.

Great athleticism but needs to work on a lot of things, namely tackling.
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2020, 11:42 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: Assuming the bengals are going to address the defensive problems starting in round 2, I think they will have a lot of talented players to choose from. I think we will all be satisfied if they pick any of these guys:

Patrick Queen who is a 3 down linebacker
Kenneth Murray who has incredible sideline to sideline speed.
Ross blacklock, a raw talent who could develop into a foundation piece to the defensive line after Atkins.
Damon Arnette, a solid DB with good ball skills.

Do not sleep on Zach Baun. Lou Anarumo plays a hybrid defense and he needs a edge/lb who can shift positions depending on what front they want to show. He can rush the passer standing up or down, drop into coverage, set the edge and help stop the run. He did all of that at Wisconson and Lou will put a premium on a guy who can do it naturally. Absolutely do not be surprised if Zach is the pick at 33.

I love the idea of sliding a bit in Rd 2 and getting a safety like Duggar and then a WR.  
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2020, 08:16 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: The more I learn about Queen, the more I see project pick. He was a late round prospect before the CFP.

Great athleticism but needs to work on a lot of things, namely tackling.

His lack of production scares me.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2020, 03:39 PM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: His lack of production scares me.

Me too.
Reply/Quote
I understand our defense needs serious work but if im drafting Burrow goal #1 is to build the best offensive line/offense possible.
\
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2020, 11:42 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: Assuming the bengals are going to address the defensive problems starting in round 2, I think they will have a lot of talented players to choose from. I think we will all be satisfied if they pick any of these guys:

Patrick Queen who is a 3 down linebacker
Kenneth Murray who has incredible sideline to sideline speed.
Ross blacklock, a raw talent who could develop into a foundation piece to the defensive line after Atkins.
Damon Arnette, a solid DB with good ball skills.

Do not sleep on Zach Baun. Lou Anarumo plays a hybrid defense and he needs a edge/lb who can shift positions depending on what front they want to show. He can rush the passer standing up or down, drop into coverage, set the edge and help stop the run. He did all of that at Wisconson and Lou will put a premium on a guy who can do it naturally. Absolutely do not be surprised if Zach is the pick at 33.

Whoever Bengals take at pick #33 should be a 1st Round Talent that has slid due to a run on quarterbacks or a run on another position.   Now if there is a 4-3 Linebacker who should have went Round 1, GREAT....or an Offensive Tackle who should have went in Round 1, to bookend with Jonah to try to fix worst O Line in NFL, GREAT.

However lets say no Round 1 players at 4-3 LB, or OT fall to us at #33.   Then that means a WR, or a RB or a DB or a D Lineman who should have went in Round 1 is sitting there at 1st pick in Round 2.   This gives Bengals an Extra Round 1 besides Burrow at QB.  Plus, the 2 win Bengals can use help at many positions.   They should not take a Round 2 player, NO....They should take a Round 1 player who fell due to a Run on QB's or WR's or such, and moved a Round 1 Player down one space into Bengals laps at Top of 2.   Paul Brown would say his name is B.A.A.....Best Available Athlete....Did I mention a Round 1 Tight End like a Gronk or Kelse if there is one and falls to us. ...I'm hoping OT or LB, but the most amazing athlete still on board at start of 2 is our guy, no matter his position.  Other than QB if we take Burrow. 

This IS like having 2 First Round Picks. 

I don't attempt names because there is always a SURPRISE who is still there at 1st Pick in Round 2. This Year, Bengals can grab that Surprise Player.....his name is B.A.A.

Lets not forget the 1st pick in 3 is like a 2.....The 1st pick in 4 is like a 3.....The 1st pick in 5 is like 4. .....Bengals should get 5 very good athletes to help this 2 win team turn things around
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Murray or baun. I keep seeing delpit available, but safety isn't a huge need. One thing I'm worried about it offensive tackle. We need one badly, and not sure about free agency. Really we need a guard, tackle, and linebacker in free agency. No comp picks hurts, just waiting on a Dalton trade now.

Sent from my LG-Q710PL using Tapatalk
[Image: Storer50_1.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2020, 02:04 AM)Storer50 Wrote: Murray or baun.  I keep seeing delpit available, but safety isn't a huge need. One thing I'm worried about it offensive tackle. We need one badly, and not sure about free agency. Really we need a guard, tackle, and linebacker in free agency. No comp picks hurts, just waiting on a Dalton trade now.

Sent from my LG-Q710PL using Tapatalk

Safety is a huge need with the way the game is played today.  Williams isn't a great fit at either safety spot right now.  He'd be awesome as an extra linebacker in a nickel or dime.  Give me 2 guys with coverage and ball skills in the back end.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2020, 04:31 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Safety is a huge need with the way the game is played today.  Williams isn't a great fit at either safety spot right now.  He'd be awesome as an extra linebacker in a nickel or dime.  Give me 2 guys with coverage and ball skills in the back end.

Feel the same. Interior O-line is deep, we can get a good Guard in the 3rd round.

Delpit is who I want at 33 if he falls more than about anyone. Doubt Murray will fall which is the other player I would like for the D.

Josh Jones OT or one of Shenault or Mims if we go Offense at 33. Still, it isn't a coincidence that the last time our Defense was good
we had a damn good Safety in Reggie Nelson.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2020, 04:29 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Feel the same. Interior O-line is deep, we can get a good Guard in the 3rd round.

Delpit is who I want at 33 if he falls more than about anyone. Doubt Murray will fall which is the other player I would like for the D.

Josh Jones OT or one of Shenault or Mims if we go Offense at 33. Still, it isn't a coincidence that the last time our Defense was good
we had a damn good Safety in Reggie Nelson.

In my latest mock, I had a tough choice to make.  When 33 rolled up, Delpit was there, and so were Winfield Jr., Chinn and Duggar.  Part of me instinctively wanted to snatch Delpit off the board, but I refrained and took Kenneth Murray.  The drop off in LB quality after the top 3-4 is so drastic compared to the Safety class, that I just had to get the fast, althletic LB when I could.  My discipline payed off, as I was able to pick between Duggar and Chinn at the top of the 3rd.  I went with Chinn.  I just think that his long arms on that 6'3" frame, are going to make him a force for a long time.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2020, 05:12 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: In my latest mock, I had a tough choice to make.  When 33 rolled up, Delpit was there, and so were Winfield Jr., Chinn and Duggar.  Part of me instinctively wanted to snatch Delpit off the board, but I refrained and took Kenneth Murray.  The drop off in LB quality after the top 3-4 is so drastic compared to the Safety class, that I just had to get the fast, althletic LB when I could.  My discipline payed off, as I was able to pick between Duggar and Chinn at the top of the 3rd.  I went with Chinn.  I just think that his long arms on that 6'3" frame, are going to make him a force for a long time.

Well I would love this as well. I like Delpit more than Chinn but Murray is the 2nd best LB in this Draft IMO.

Chinn definitely has great upside with his size and length no question. Will have to check out your entire Mock.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2020, 01:20 AM)kevin Wrote: Whoever Bengals take at pick #33 should be a 1st Round Talent that has slid due to a run on quarterbacks or a run on another position.   Now if there is a 4-3 Linebacker who should have went Round 1, GREAT....or an Offensive Tackle who should have went in Round 1, to bookend with Jonah to try to fix worst O Line in NFL, GREAT.

However lets say no Round 1 players at 4-3 LB, or OT fall to us at #33.   Then that means a WR, or a RB or a DB or a D Lineman who should have went in Round 1 is sitting there at 1st pick in Round 2.   This gives Bengals an Extra Round 1 besides Burrow at QB.  Plus, the 2 win Bengals can use help at many positions.   They should not take a Round 2 player, NO....They should take a Round 1 player who fell due to a Run on QB's or WR's or such, and moved a Round 1 Player down one space into Bengals laps at Top of 2.   Paul Brown would say his name is B.A.A.....Best Available Athlete....Did I mention a Round 1 Tight End like a Gronk or Kelse if there is one and falls to us. ...I'm hoping OT or LB, but the most amazing athlete still on board at start of 2 is our guy, no matter his position.  Other than QB if we take Burrow. 

This IS like having 2 First Round Picks. 

I don't attempt names because there is always a SURPRISE who is still there at 1st Pick in Round 2.   This Year, Bengals can grab that Surprise Player.....his name is B.A.A.

Lets not forget the 1st pick in 3 is like a 2.....The 1st pick in 4 is like a 3.....The 1st pick in 5 is like  4.  .....Bengals should get 5 very good athletes to help this 2 win team turn things around

The Bengals shouldn't be considering a RB until the middle of the third round at the earliest. They should be looking at Guards instead of RBs.

There's no first round TE in this draft either. There might not even be one until the 3rd round.

I'd rather BPA at 33 than BAA - that's best player rather than best athlete. BAA gives you Margus Hunt, Jerome Simpson and other projects. I want someone who combines athleticism with football savvy. But agree totally that we need to see what the draft board gives us - someone should fall and if they don't that's when we consider trading back and taking an extra 3rd.
Reply/Quote