Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Defense wins Championships
(10-12-2017, 08:07 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: What I do like about PFF is they watch players EVERY play. Like what if a CB gets beat but the QB doesn't throw the ball to the WR?

For LB's everyone on here seems to think that Vigil is awesome because he gets tackles. PFF actually ranks him as a Poor LB. So the eye test fails in some instances.

Nick Vigil can crush New York City with one flick of his pinky finger!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2017, 08:07 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: What I do like about PFF is they watch players EVERY play. Like what if a CB gets beat but the QB doesn't throw the ball to the WR?

For LB's everyone on here seems to think that Vigil is awesome because he gets tackles. PFF actually ranks him as a Poor LB. So the eye test fails in some instances.

But here's the rub about PFF.

Linebacker is a good example. Ok if a Linebacker allows a catch it's something like -2. If the linebacker makes the third down stop it's a +1 which means he grades negative -1 on the play but he got his team off the field. 

Like I said wishy washy.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I heard a saying on local radio today that sums it up perfectly:

Offense puts butts in the seats
Defense wins games
The trenches win championships
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2017, 10:46 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I heard a saying on local radio today that sums it up perfectly:

Offense puts butts in the seats
Defense wins games
The trenches win championships

I think that's more accurate.

Look at the Giants beating the Patriots high powered offense in the Super Bowl and you see a Defensive Line that collapsed their offense.

We have the makings of a team that can disrupt an entire offense with our pass rush. Then you need turnovers. Those 2 components of a defense are what it takes.
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2017, 10:36 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think that's more accurate.

Look at the Giants beating the Patriots high powered offense in the Super Bowl and you see a Defensive Line that collapsed their offense.

We have the makings of a team that can disrupt an entire offense with our pass rush. Then you need turnovers. Those 2 components of a defense are what it takes.

Am i seeing a hint of optimism Pistons?
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2017, 01:20 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Am i seeing a hint of optimism Pistons?

Our defense IS good.

Our offense...I'm not so sure it can be productive. Our entire offense basically consists of AJ Green making long catches. Against some teams that's going to be taken away. Then will a 2nd WR step up?

IF we had Eifert, that's another weapon. But we don't.

IF we could run the ball. But we can't.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2017, 04:52 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Bengals limited by their offensive rankings.
19th in pass yards per game (227)
28th in rush yards per game (84)
23rd in total yards per game (311)
27th in points per game (16.8)

However, we should probably just consider the Lazor era only, which would be the last 3 games...
pass yards per game = 275.3
rush yards per game = 87
total yards per game = 362.3
points per game = 22.7 (I took out the points scored by the pick 6 against GB, so actually this number would be higher if going off pure PPG not just offensive PPG)

If we had those same averages across the entire season, the Bengals would be ranked....
PYPG = 5th
RYPG = 27th
TYPG = 9th
PPG = 14th

So yea, the running game definitely needs to get going but the passing game has improved a ton. Since Lazor became OC, the Bengals have had a top-10 aerial attack and middle-of-the-pack scoring. That's (much) better than I expected for this season with Zampese as OC. Worth mentioning too that these passing numbers are not inflated from the Bengals having to play catch-up either. They are while leading a vast majority during the last 3 games.

It's also worth noting that we're 31st in yards per carry. This is shaping up to be the worst rushing "attack" in Bengals history.

With a trio of 2nd round talents at RB. Are they all flops?

(10-12-2017, 10:43 AM)PhilHos Wrote: How about we just call more run plays that use the FB? Hewitt may not be Lorenzo Neal, but dude's a good blocker. He's also a decent pass catcher so we can still call pass plays from the same formations he'd be in on. I'm not saying using him will fix our rushing offense, but it surely will help, right?

Seems simple enough. Hewitt can catch, too...so it seems like it wouldn't limit the options in the pass game either. Throw him in as a FB, and motion him to TE or even the slot if you want to pass. Move him around.

To the OP: Our defense is obviously playing at a SB level right now. The offense under Lazor has been more than good enough. It's just a matter of making the playoffs and this team being able to maintain that level of play in the playoffs. I somehow think that even if we make the playoffs, everyone's play will crater inexplicably. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2017, 01:25 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Our defense IS good.

Our offense...I'm not so sure it can be productive. Our entire offense basically consists of AJ Green making long catches. Against some teams that's going to be taken away. Then will a 2nd WR step up?

I think Kroft is the #2 option in the pass game right now, not a WR.

He's gone 13-134-2 in his 3 starts since Eifert went down.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Didn't CJ catch a pass last week coming out of the backfield?
Reply/Quote

You're a hard guy to argue with, even if you don't always agree with what your saying!!! LoL   ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2017, 02:12 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I think Kroft is the #2 option in the pass game right now, not a WR.

He's gone 13-134-2 in his 3 starts since Eifert went down.

Non-AJ Post-Zampese:
Kroft's gone 13-134-2
Bernard's gone 7-109-2
Mixon's gone 7-58-0
LaFell's gone 8-54-0
Uzomah's gone 2-32-0
Boyd's gone 5-32-0
Hewitt's gone 1-16-0
Hill's gone 2-16-0
Erickson's gone 1-12-0

Man... once you get past AJ Green, the Bengals WRs really suck.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote

Yeah, Lafell and Boyd don't seem to be the answer.

Just hoping one of Ross, Malone or Core comes along does something and our OL keeps improving.

Gio and Mixon can get the job done at RB if they get some holes.
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2017, 03:18 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Non-AJ Post-Zampese:
Kroft's gone 13-134-2
Bernard's gone 7-109-2
Mixon's gone 7-58-0
LaFell's gone 8-54-0
Uzomah's gone 2-32-0
Boyd's gone 5-32-0
Hewitt's gone 1-16-0
Hill's gone 2-16-0
Erickson's gone 1-12-0

Promising start for Kroft, but I wonder if he's really earning those numbers or if he's just the 2nd best option in a collection of turds. Man LaFell has really fallen hard.
Reply/Quote
We could start a Zebratic Defense Fund and pay off officials to allow our oline to hold every down.. 
Give to the Zebratic Defense Fund because a running back is a terrible thing to waste. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(10-13-2017, 04:01 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, Lafell and Boyd don't seem to be the answer.

Just hoping one of Ross, Malone or Core comes along does something and our OL keeps improving.

Gio and Mixon can get the job done at RB if they get some holes.
My son told me yesterday that he heard on one of the local pod casts that the reason Boyd has been inactive so much is that he didn't look at the playbook in the off season, doesn't run the right routes or does not run the right depth.  He's just flat out not put in the effort.  Andy has apparently been furious with him.
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2017, 03:18 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Non-AJ Post-Zampese:
Kroft's gone 13-134-2
Bernard's gone 7-109-2
Mixon's gone 7-58-0
LaFell's gone 8-54-0
Uzomah's gone 2-32-0
Boyd's gone 5-32-0
Hewitt's gone 1-16-0
Hill's gone 2-16-0
Erickson's gone 1-12-0

Precisely. Our offense consists of big plays to AJ Green or a big catch by Bernard and Mixon.

We're not a team that can string 12 play drives together consistently.
Reply/Quote
Well...I think we can put to bed the notion that our defense will carry the team to the playoffs.

We gave up 180 yards rushing to the Titans. 5.0 yards per carry

Also 264 yards passing to Mariota.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals offense isn't winning a championship BTW. Not this group.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2017, 12:26 PM)3wt Wrote: My son told me yesterday that he heard on one of the local pod casts that the reason Boyd has been inactive so much is that he didn't look at the playbook in the off season, doesn't run the right routes or does not run the right depth.  He's just flat out not put in the effort.  Andy has apparently been furious with him.

Wow. That's interesting if true.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2017, 06:42 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Well...I think we can put to bed the notion that our defense will carry the team to the playoffs.

We gave up 180 yards rushing to the Titans. 5.0 yards per carry

Also 264 yards passing to Mariota.

On 44 attempts at just 6 yards attempt. For passing but nice cherry picking stats like you do. Honestly I don't see how anyone could watch this game and think this Defense doesn't have what it takes to win. However I will say Guenther is by far the worst coach on our staff how can you not play to your Defenses strength on a consistent basis. There is absolutely no excuse why we're not a top 5 unit Guenther should be ashamed of himself.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote