Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Defensive Adjustments for KC
I have spent the week looking back at the week 17 game and also the KC vs Bills game. A couple things stand out and we are going to have to make some adjustments for KC if we want to win this game.

In our first meeting we started out playing MOFO (Middle of Field Open) coverage and had a lot of success but as soon as we went to MOFC (Middle of Field Closed) we got smoked. From that point on almost every time we plays MOFC we got smoked by a KC offense who essentially was waiting for us to do that. The Double Posts TD people lost their mind over that had Apple without inside support was a play specifically drawn up for that (Cover 3 beater). We are going to have to fight our normal tendencies, we usually play almost exclusively MOFC coverages like cover 3 and cover 1.

That said, the Chiefs love to go to a trips set when they need a big play that uses Hill in the slot with Kelce alone opposite in a "nasty split". That nasty split just means instead of being out wide he is a couple yards off the tackle. When KC went here the Bills were playing them in cover 4 and they were "locking" the backside. What that means is they were playing standard quarters to the strength side but used man on the backside against Kelce and the back if he came out. Early in the game they had success with this check but on the play that set up the FG to end regulation they didn't lock the backside which created space for Kelce by forcing the defender wide instead of keeping tight man coverage. If we are going to be forced to play more MOFO coverages like cover 4 I hope we learn from that and make it a set call that we are always going to lock the backside and let the safeties carry 3 (Hill in the slot) vertical into a bracket.

When the Chiefs go into bunch formation and we have a man call we have to know that they are going to pick, and in fact illegally block downfield. The play before the score in OT was an illegal pick play that even on mic'd up you can hear Kelce tell Mahomes he will just go and collide with the defender. When you roll the tape Kelce and Pringle run straight into the two defenders who could get to Hardman coming under, the two down defenders forcing the high defender to come across the block. Not sure if they had a banjo call on but they need to check if 2 and 3 come vertical our inside defender needs to jump inside and take 1 and let the outside guy to run vertical with 2 and the safety to take 3.

All this may sound like gibberish but the bottom line is they are scheming guys open and we need to learn from our game and the Bills games. They are doing some specific things now when they are getting these MOFO coverages that everyone has attacked them with the last half the year and we need to adjust and take it away.
Reply/Quote
I love you.

I think that's why we play zone most of the time so the DBs don't get picked.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
I'm pretty sure Lou adjusted last game and held them to 3 points in the 2nd half.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 12:17 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I'm pretty sure Lou adjusted last game and held them to 3 points in the 2nd half.

Holding them to 3 points has as much to do with only having the football 3x in the half, compared to 6 times in the first half.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 11:23 AM)Au165 Wrote: I have spent the week looking back at the week 17 game and also the KC vs Bills game. A couple things stand out and we are going to have to make some adjustments for KC if we want to win this game.

In our first meeting we started out playing MOFO (Middle of Field Open) coverage and had a lot of success but as soon as we went to MOFC (Middle of Field Closed) we got smoked. From that point on almost every time we plays MOFC we got smoked by a KC offense who essentially was waiting for us to do that. The Double Posts TD people lost their mind over that had Apple without inside support was a play specifically drawn up for that (Cover 3 beater). We are going to have to fight our normal tendencies, we usually play almost exclusively MOFC coverages like cover 3 and cover 1.

That said, the Chiefs love to go to a trips set when they need a big play that uses Hill in the slot with Kelce alone opposite in a "nasty split". That nasty split just means instead of being out wide he is a couple yards off the tackle. When KC went here the Bills were playing them in cover 4 and they were "locking" the backside. What that means is they were playing standard quarters to the strength side but used man on the backside against Kelce and the back if he came out. Early in the game they had success with this check but on the play that set up the FG to end regulation they didn't lock the backside which created space for Kelce by forcing the defender wide instead of keeping tight man coverage. If we are going to be forced to play more MOFO coverages like cover 4 I hope we learn from that and make it a set call that we are always going to lock the backside and let the safeties carry 3 (Hill in the slot) vertical into a bracket.

When the Chiefs go into bunch formation and we have a man call we have to know that they are going to pick, and in fact illegally block downfield. The play before the score in OT was an illegal pick play that even on mic'd up you can hear Kelce tell Mahomes he will just go and collide with the defender. When you roll the tape Kelce and Pringle run straight into the two defenders who could get to Hardman coming under, the two down defenders forcing the high defender to come across the block. Not sure if they had a banjo call on but they need to check if 2 and 3 come vertical our inside defender needs to jump inside and take 1 and let the outside guy to run vertical with 2 and the safety to take 3.

All this may sound like gibberish but the bottom line is they are scheming guys open and we need to learn from our game and the Bills games. They are doing some specific things now when they are getting these MOFO coverages that everyone has attacked them with the last half the year and we need to adjust and take it away.
I really appreciate this, Au.  I coached high school football and I understand about 1/3 of this.  Most fans don't appreciate how incredibly complex the technical side of pro football is.  

I have a good friend who was a lot better coach than I was (2 state championships).  I asked him an X & O question once and he answered "Who the **** knows, I just watch the ball."
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 12:30 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Holding them to 3 points has as much to do with only having the football 3x in the half, compared to 6 times in the first half.

They didn't get in on those 3 possessions.... Ninja
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 01:08 PM)Sled21 Wrote: They didn't get in on those 3 possessions.... Ninja

That’s true, and a few key blitzes forced mahomes to throw it away. I just don’t think we will hold them to 3 points in a half again. Best case scenerio is holding them to 31 again, IMO. I think getting Higgins and Boyd involved is going to be the key to this game. Also, mixon having a big hand in the passing game with dump offs and creating YAC is huge. The chances of chase having 266 is grim. But like Reid told mahomes with 13 seconds left, when it’s grim, be the grim reaper.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 01:08 PM)Sled21 Wrote: They didn't get in on those 3 possessions.... Ninja

The reality is there were adjustments to be made from the tape after the game, and they will adjust. My point is they do some things no matter what and we need to have some adjustments for what they do as their bread and butter. A couple things I notated they oddly didn't go to really but I think we will see it this week.
Reply/Quote
Have to get hands on Patrick Mahomes.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 03:32 PM)Synric Wrote: Have to get hands on Patrick Mahomes.

Not at the cost of breaking contain. The best way to rush him is a disciplined rush with our defenders staying in their lanes.
Reply/Quote

Not true, need to get pressure on mahomes. Mahomes mahomes will throw the ball away.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 11:23 AM)Au165 Wrote: I have spent the week looking back at the week 17 game and also the KC vs Bills game. A couple things stand out and we are going to have to make some adjustments for KC if we want to win this game.

Great post as usual but essential for this game. Need to play more Zone at times to keep them from illegally picking us. They 
will adapt to us and try to scheme around our MOFO coverage that was successful against them the last time. They did it in the
Bills game as you say and the Bills D couldn't stop it. Also with Vinovich's crew who let team's play we probably won't get any 
calls when there are illegal picks so have to be prepared for it.

Have to carry 3 Safeties a lot in this game when Hill is in the Slot. We did very well against him the last time we played but 
they will be watching the film and will adjust. We just can't have Hill get open or he is gone, have to lock down the backend.

When we get to Mahomes, we have to bring him down. 

This was the biggest problem with the Bills, they couldn't get him down when they got to him. Keep him in the pocket as much
as possible and have a QB spy for when he runs. Mahomes is the best passing outside of the pocket and in awkward positions.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 04:28 PM)Joelist Wrote: Not at the cost of breaking contain. The best way to rush him is a disciplined rush with our defenders staying in their lanes.

Yes, need to bring him down if we do get to him though. Playing disciplined and not over pursuing is key.

What is nice is Hubbard is really good at this and has been doing it all year while Hendrickson pressures from the QB's blindside.
Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 10:31 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:

Need our other DL to hold their gaps and let Trey do his thing.  Smirk
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 10:35 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Need our other DL to hold their gaps and let Trey do his thing.  Smirk

And if Hendrickson can pressure Mahomes into throwing an ill advised pass or two we need to make him pay. Can’t drop them like last time. Winning the turnover battle is why we beat the Titans.

Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 10:39 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: And if Hendrickson can pressure Mahomes into throwing an ill advised pass or two we need to make him pay. Can’t drop them like last time. Winning the turnover battle is why we beat the Titans.

Yep, have to take advantage of the opportunities on Defense like we did against the Titans.

We will see how it goes, I love this team. They seem to step up on D whenever we need them to.

Just isn't like our teams in the past where it got too big for them in the big moments.

Now, they are BIG MOMENT PLAYERS.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 10:35 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Need our other DL to hold their gaps and let Trey do his thing.  Smirk

Sam needs to step up on the other end!!  Who Dey
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 12:30 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Holding them to 3 points has as much to do with only having the football 3x in the half, compared to 6 times in the first half.

Well, they still scored more points on four of those possessions than they did in the second half, all touchdowns. 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote

After watching the ALL 22, the guys on "Locked on Bengals" have a guest they call Bengal Sans, but his name is Mike Santagata.  He's always got some great insights and is a weekly guest.

He mentioned that the Bengals tried to go single high three times in the first Chiefs game, and got smoked all three snaps.  That is pretty revealing and I'm sure Lou probably won't try that much this weekend.

He also pointed out that Wilson was just coming back from injury and didn't look like himself and Pratt was out with COVID. 

Yes, they didn't have Orlando Brown and moved Thuney to tackle (where he did very well), but Brown's weakness is speed and he felt that with Reader pushing the pocket and Mahommes backing, that a few speed rushes around the edge could pay dividends without having to send extra guys.  

I was driving while listening to it, but I am very encouraged that this Bengals team has enough talent to match up with KC, even on the road.  
Reply/Quote