Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Defensive Line
Everyone's talking about our Defensive Line, and how it is probably the most stacked position on the team. This despite getting rid of a starter (Geathers) from last year.

Just looking at the numbers, there are 12 players with a legitimate claim for a spot:

DE: Dunlap, Johnson, Gilberry, Clarke, Hunt,
NT: Peko, Thompson, Sims
UT: Atkins, Hardison, Still, Williams

We usually keep 9, but even if they keep 10 there's going to be at least one big name player out on the street.

We can almost certainly assume that last year's starters, plus Johnson, are safe (Dunlap, Johnson, Gilberry, Peko, Atkins). That leaves 4 or 5 spots for Thompson (3rd rounder), Still (2nd), Sims (3rd), Hardison (4th), Hunt (2nd), Clarke (3rd), Williams (UFA). So this is the year we're giving up on at least one 2nd or 3rd rounder from recent times.

Here are your options:

Brandon Thompson - has played all three seasons but struggles to make his mark in games. Has done nothing this pre-season due to injuries.
Devon Still - well known off the field, has yet to do much of anything on the field. Was cut this time last season and ended up on the practice squad until injuries opened up a spot on the 53. Has been anonymous during pre-season.
Pat Sims - he's big and can back up Peko at NT or work alongside him on rushing downs. We were better against the run when he last played for us. Has done nothing this pre-season due to injuries.
Marcus Hardison - the rookie has shown promise during pre-season. It's unlikely we cut a 4th rounder so early as he'll be picked up by somebody else.
Margus Hunt - flashed last pre-season but has yet to get it together during the regular season. Has had lots of injuries. A bit of an expert at looking like he might get to the QB, but being too late for the sack.
Will Clarke - last year's third rounder, he's looked decent. Could back up MJ at RE.
DeShawn Williams - the wildcard UFA from Clemson. He's built like Geno and has been getting a lot of praise for his pressure and work-rate both in practice and during pre-season games. One of the few DTs we have that can rush the passer.

If it was my choice, I'd go for 9 (+ Chris Carter in the LBs):

Dunlap, Peko, Atkins, Johnson
Gilberry, Hardison, Sims, Clarke,
Thompson

Still and Hunt don't make it and Williams misses out in the hope we can squeeze him to the PS.

What say you?
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 12:11 PM)bengal kitten uk Wrote: Everyone's talking about our Defensive Line, and how it is probably the most stacked position on the team.  This despite getting rid of a starter (Geathers) from last year.

Just looking at the numbers, there are 12 players with a legitimate claim for a spot:

DE: Dunlap, Johnson, Gilberry, Clarke, Hunt,
NT: Peko, Thompson, Sims
UT: Atkins, Hardison, Still, Williams

We usually keep 9, but even if they keep 10 there's going to be at least one big name player out on the street.

We can almost certainly assume that last year's starters, plus Johnson, are safe (Dunlap, Johnson, Gilberry, Peko, Atkins).  That leaves 4 or 5 spots for Thompson (3rd rounder), Still (2nd), Sims (3rd), Hardison (4th), Hunt (2nd), Clarke (3rd), Williams (UFA).  So this is the year we're giving up on at least one 2nd or 3rd rounder from recent times.

Here are your options:

Brandon Thompson - has played all three seasons but struggles to make his mark in games.  Has done nothing this pre-season due to injuries.
Devon Still - well known off the field, has yet to do much of anything on the field.  Was cut this time last season and ended up on the practice squad until injuries opened up a spot on the 53.  Has been anonymous during pre-season.
Pat Sims - he's big and can back up Peko at NT or work alongside him on rushing downs. We were better against the run when he last played for us.  Has done nothing this pre-season due to injuries.
Marcus Hardison - the rookie has shown promise during pre-season.  It's unlikely we cut a 4th rounder so early as he'll be picked up by somebody else.
Margus Hunt - flashed last pre-season but has yet to get it together during the regular season.  Has had lots of injuries.  A bit of an expert at looking like he might get to the QB, but being too late for the sack.
Will Clarke - last year's third rounder, he's looked decent.  Could back up MJ at RE.
DeShawn Williams - the wildcard UFA from Clemson.  He's built like Geno and has been getting a lot of praise for his pressure and work-rate both in practice and during pre-season games.  One of the few DTs we have that can rush the passer.

If it was my choice, I'd go for 9 (+ Chris Carter in the LBs):

Dunlap, Peko, Atkins, Johnson
Gilberry, Hardison, Sims, Clarke,
Thompson

Still and Hunt don't make it and Williams misses out in the hope we can squeeze him to the PS.

What say you?

First off, good job

Secondly, I think Williams knocks off Thompson
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The sad thing is if they were legitimately trying to improve the team....Peko's spot would be up for grabs. The minute he is on the bench the pressure instantly improves.

That would free up another spot for a talented up and comer!!
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 12:42 PM)bfine32 Wrote: First off, good job

One Clemson Tiger knocks out another.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 12:52 PM)ShowMeUrTDs Wrote: The sad thing is if they were legitimately trying to improve the team....Peko's spot would be up for grabs. The minute he is on the bench the pressure instantly improves.

That would free up another spot for a talented up and comer!!

I wouldn't class myself as Peko's biggest fan, but the thing to consider is that the only players on the roster capable of playing 4-3 NT are either worse than Peko (Kwayme Geathers) our have been too injured to practice and play this preseason (Sims, Thompson).

I'd imagine NT will be a priority next season rather than this one.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 01:13 PM)bengal kitten uk Wrote: I wouldn't class myself as Peko's biggest fan, but the thing to consider is that the only players on the roster capable of playing 4-3 NT are either worse than Peko (Kwayme Geathers) our have been too injured to practice and play this preseason (Sims, Thompson).

I'd imagine NT will be a priority next season rather than this one.

Nice point.  People often seem to forget that there aren't better NTs out there available.  All of the NTs that are better than Peko are under contract, and teams are often very reluctant to give them away.
Reply/Quote
I think Hunt makes it too at the expense of another position group. Not sure which, but I don't see any player that can spell Dunlap at LDE and I want the rotation, not a worn--down Carlos come the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 01:44 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I think Hunt makes it too at the expense of another position group.  Not sure which, but I don't see any player that can spell Dunlap at LDE and I want the rotation, not a worn--down Carlos come the playoffs.

We have Hardison, we have Clarke, and we have Gilberry. I think we're pretty solid at backup Defensive end if Hunt gets cut.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote

Not a chance.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 02:30 PM)J24 Wrote: We have Hardison, we have Clarke, and we have Gilberry. I think we're pretty solid at backup Defensive end if Hunt gets cut.

Not sure I'd have any faith in either of them against a road grading RT on a running down.
Reply/Quote
Great thread, as I was thinking of a similar thread with the fulcrum being Peko and options of replacing him.

While I am very enthusiastic about Thompson replacing Peko, those are some huge shoes to fill. I have some faith, but the body of edivence points toward needing Peko for this season as well.
Reply/Quote
I think we'll go with 5 WRs with Kumerow on the PS to give an extra to the D-Line.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 06:18 PM)BengalRugby Wrote: Great thread, as I was thinking of a similar thread with the fulcrum being Peko and options of replacing him.

While I am very enthusiastic about Thompson replacing Peko, those are some huge shoes to fill. I have some faith, but the body of edivence points toward needing Peko for this season as well.

I would think that they elect to keep Sims over Thompson.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I wouldn't be shocked at a Peko cut (due to salary and the fact that we have so many FAs to sign). He's replaceable at roughly the same skill level at a lower price.

He could be our "Crocker" in case of injury.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 06:26 PM)EatonFan Wrote: I think we'll go with 5 WRs with Kumerow on the PS to give an extra to the D-Line.

Agreed. There won't be a big market for Moore and Little, so one or both should be available if we need to bring them in off the street mid season.

I really think that they should keep Williams. He won't slide to the PS, and Sims, Thompson, and Still are all UFA's next year. I would rather keep a rookie with upside who's producing for 4 years on the cheap rather trying to resign a marginally better veteran after this season. With all our UFA's next year, we will have to let guys walk and replace them. If we have a replacement this year, we need to hold onto them.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 06:31 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I would think that they elect to keep Sims over Thompson.

I agree that Sims was brought in for a purpose, and than may eventually be that.

The eventual addressing of replacing Peko was the purpose I had for making a similar thread.

I know Still is not the answer.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 06:52 PM)BengalRugby Wrote: I agree that Sims was brought in for a purpose, and than may eventually be that.

The eventual addressing of replacing Peko was the purpose I had for making a similar thread.

I know Still is not the answer.

I see Still and Thompson both being cut.  Hardison and Williams are the new blood.  However, neither of them appears to be ready to usurp Peko.  It will take a draft pick specific to NT, or an unusual move in FA to see the Bengals move away from Domota Peko as their starting NT.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

Agreed.

Thompson and Still, though I'm miffed that Sims is never healthy for us. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 07:59 PM)Shady Wrote: Agreed.

Thompson and Still, though I'm miffed that Sims is never healthy for us. 

I think they will keep Thompson over Sims, honestly. They have a 3rd round pick invested in him, and both have been dinged up in camp. Sims is in a one year, veteran minimum deal after drawing no interest from other teams this offseason, and could easily be a street FA pickup during the season for us.
Reply/Quote
Lest we forget MJ is also hurt. So this great DL is right now an illusion.
Reply/Quote