Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Defensive Line and Linebacker Observation
This is interesting. Among the best defenses in the AFC I’ve noticed a trend toward a new type of hybrid defensive line and linebacker arrangement. On many downs, these defenses use only two down linemen with four linebackers and five in the secondary or two down linemen with five linebackers and four in the secondary. The linebackers often function as stand up defensive ends, lining up not behind the defensive line but right on the line of scrimmage. They can blitz, shoot gaps, or drop into coverage as needed.

The defenses who occasionally use these hybrid sets won’t surprise anyone: New England, Baltimore, and Pittsburgh. Currently Cincinnati doesn’t have the right personnel, coaching, or talent to pull this off but it might be something to look at in the future. I still like the usual 4-3 look but it might take a hybrid arrangement like this, for example, to stop someone like Lamar Jackson — or at least limit what he can do a little.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2019, 12:28 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: This is interesting.  Among the best defenses in the AFC I’ve noticed a trend toward a new type of hybrid defensive line and linebacker arrangement.  On many downs, these defenses use only two down linemen with four linebackers and five in the secondary or two down linemen with five linebackers and four in the secondary.  The linebackers often function as stand up defensive ends, lining up not behind the defensive line but right on the line of scrimmage.  They can blitz, shoot gaps, or drop into coverage as needed.

The defenses who occasionally use these hybrid sets won’t surprise anyone: New England, Baltimore, and Pittsburgh.  Currently Cincinnati doesn’t have the right personnel, coaching, or talent to pull this off but it might be something to look at in the future.  I still like the usual 4-3 look but it might take a hybrid arrangement like this, for example, to stop someone like Lamar Jackson — or at least limit what he can do a little.

Not that this will help but Lawson is back this week against the Ravens.  At least it is something.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
this offseason should see us as heavy buyers for LBers in FA or the Draft.
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2019, 11:05 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: this offseason should see us as heavy buyers for LBers  in FA or the Draft.

You mean just like the last few offseasons?
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
Bengals don't have the LBs to be able to pull that off, but I always thought they needed to go to that model.
They've gone years on defense using size over speed.
Maybe it's the scheme's fault, but size doesn't seem to work anymore...at least with the current guys.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-06-2019, 11:05 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: this offseason should see us as heavy buyers for LBers  in FA or the Draft.

It should have been last offseason too but they stuck with the status quo.
Perhaps that was because the staff was put together so late that there wasn't enough time to evaluate outside prospects, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Cory Littleton and Shaq Thompson are near the top of my list for outside FAs to bring in.
But even then, I worry they won't be great because of terrible usage by this staff.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-06-2019, 12:28 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: This is interesting.  Among the best defenses in the AFC I’ve noticed a trend toward a new type of hybrid defensive line and linebacker arrangement.  On many downs, these defenses use only two down linemen with four linebackers and five in the secondary or two down linemen with five linebackers and four in the secondary.  The linebackers often function as stand up defensive ends, lining up not behind the defensive line but right on the line of scrimmage.  They can blitz, shoot gaps, or drop into coverage as needed.

The defenses who occasionally use these hybrid sets won’t surprise anyone: New England, Baltimore, and Pittsburgh.  Currently Cincinnati doesn’t have the right personnel, coaching, or talent to pull this off but it might be something to look at in the future.  I still like the usual 4-3 look but it might take a hybrid arrangement like this, for example, to stop someone like Lamar Jackson — or at least limit what he can do a little.

Yeah...when we're getting gouged outside on runs...we bring in a 3rd defensive tackle and go with 5 lineman. The opposite of what other teams do.
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2019, 11:55 AM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: You mean just like the last few offseasons?

I didn't say would I said should
Reply/Quote
We haven't been athletic since Zim left on defense (and even then we were not athletic). Honestly do not understand what the GM sees in unathletic players.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2019, 01:42 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yeah...when we're getting gouged outside on runs...we bring in a 3rd defensive tackle and go with 5 lineman. The opposite of what other teams do.

Hell the even had Andrew Brown(who's a DT) stand up as an edge player.
J24

Reply/Quote
(11-06-2019, 01:56 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: I didn't say would I said should

Hobson has hinted at it.
J24

Reply/Quote
(11-06-2019, 02:48 PM)J24 Wrote: Hobson has hinted at it.

Hobson will soon also hint we have no cap space left in 2021 once we 'sign our own'
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote