Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Defensive Line
(08-31-2015, 01:01 AM)TGISunday Wrote: If only we had a chance to improve NT with the draft this year in the 1st round...

Or the 2nd round, you can thank Miami for jumping in front of us in round 2, otherwise we'd be grooming Jordan Phillips.

I am not a big Peko fan, but at this time, it's hard for me to see us replacing him since so many of the other bubble guys are dinged up, but I guarantee you that if no one emerges this year, then that is probably going to be our biggest need next year in the draft.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2015, 12:24 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: SO MJ  starts opposite of Dunlap then spells dunlap? when does MJ get a rest?

MJ and Dunlap are 3 down guys that have good gas tanks. They rarely come out of the game.

Barring extreme circumstances, MJ and Dunlap will be on the field most of the time with someone like Gilberry coming in with them kicking MJ/Gilberry inside at times. If Dunlap needs a rest for a play or two, MJ can play the other side with Gilberry replacing MJ with the interior remaining Atkins and Peko/Sims.

There's not much of a reason to keep a guy like Hunt on the roster unless the other linemen that I didn't name are all THAT bad. Hunt isn't very good, and 3 people on here saying otherwise isn't going to change that.
Reply/Quote
Does moving the point after back this year help Hunt stick around? Not sure it's the case, but something I've thought about.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2015, 01:57 PM)djs7685 Wrote: MJ and Dunlap are 3 down guys that have good gas tanks. They rarely come out of the game.

Barring extreme circumstances, MJ and Dunlap will be on the field most of the time with someone like Gilberry coming in with them kicking MJ/Gilberry inside at times. If Dunlap needs a rest for a play or two, MJ can play the other side with Gilberry replacing MJ with the interior remaining Atkins and Peko/Sims.

There's not much of a reason to keep a guy like Hunt on the roster unless the other linemen that I didn't name are all THAT bad. Hunt isn't very good, and 3 people on here saying otherwise isn't going to change that.

If hes not panning out at DE like most here think... it would be interesting to see him get DT snaps imo. (in this last preseason game at least)

Still havent gotten to see him block a kick. Is he on the FG blocking team?
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2015, 08:13 AM)corpjet Wrote: I would love to pick up Phil Taylor who the Browns just cut, I know he has injury problems but man is he a workload up the middle if could ever stay healthy!

Phil Taylor is a great player when healthy. If he's healthy, I'd love to have him.

That said, I just don't see this team bringing him in.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Hardison has been getting a lot of snaps as the 1-tech this pre-season and has played very well.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(09-02-2015, 02:37 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Phil Taylor is a great player when healthy. If he's healthy, I'd love to have him.

That said, I just don't see this team bringing him in.

I don't think were at the point where we need to go treading the free agent waters. Peko isn't good, but Sims is better when healthy.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 10:35 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 1. Pat Sims was signed on March 26th so it's not like he sat around long.

2. Pat expressed a clear interest in returning and it's quite possible that he didn't even WANT to talk with other teams.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2015/03/26/bengals-bring-back-pat-sims/70496772/

3. Pat Sims (also a 3rd round pick) is a better player than Brandon Thompson. I really think you're underestimating Sims. He'd be on a roster if he weren't here. I have very little doubt about that. PFF graded him as the 2nd best defensive player on the Raiders when he was starting for them.

Sims got $50k in guaranteed money from the Bengals on a one year, league minimum deal. It's very obvious that he didn't even have a nibble from another team. Even if he had no intention of signing with them, he would have used it as leverage for more guaranteed money, more years, and/or a higher salary. Maybe somebody would have picked him up as a camp body, but dude had no other prospects and jumped on the first offer he got.

It's also interesting to note that after Sims had his one good year, the Raiders were unwilling to commit to him long term and signed him to another one year deal, and proved right when they had to bench him for poor play after 2 games last year.

Sims is probably better when healthy, but he always seemed to be dinged up during his first run with us. He will also be more expensive to keep by about $500k, due to his higher salary and miniscue bonus. That matters when you've got a lot of extensions to sign.

You also have to look at the framework of the cuts. Fans complained when the Bengals drafted Still in the 2nd and Thompson in the third. Still is all but gone, and they're going to cut a 3rd rounder from the same class to keep a marginally better player for a year, based on a handful of series in one preseason game? Doubt it, especially with fans complaining about the Ced/Fisher picks this year.
Reply/Quote