Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Defensive scheme to blame for lack of pass rushing?
(11-20-2020, 09:15 PM)J24 Wrote: I remember two plays that come to mind one against the Bills in 2013 it was a zone blitz and we gave up a TD that game.
The one against the 49ers in 2015 it was a completion but Dunlap forced a fumble, recoverd it, and then returned it to the 10 yard line.

I'm not saying it never happened, but I feel like he dropped into coverage (far) more with Anarumo compared to Zimmer/Guenther.
Perhaps that's just because it's being magnified now because he was vocal about it.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I would absolutely say the scheme is the problem.

I didn't state it publicly, but when Carlos blew up on the sideline after the Browns marched down the field to score I was absolutely convinced it was due to the defensive play calls. The pass rush was non-existent, not even sniffing the QB. So my belief was the defensive line calls were run calls instead of pass calls. In other words, Lou had the edge rushers playing contain first, rush second instead of pinning their ears back and pressuring the QB. That half to one second of responsibility can be all the difference in the world when it comes to getting home in the backfield.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2020, 12:55 PM)ochocincos Wrote: When seeing the team have such a lack of production with rushing the passer including Carlos Dunlap, I was interested to see how Dunlap would do now that he's at SEA.

I saw Joe Goodberry tweet the following about Carlos Dunlap:
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

When looking at pro-football-reference, I see similar trends:
Dunlap with Bengals:
7 games, 7 pressures, 1.0 sack

Dunlap with Seahawks:
3 games, 4 pressures, 3.5 sacks

So Dunlap is being used solely as a pass rusher in Seattle but was asked to only rush the passer part of the time in Cincinnati.

This leads me to believe that part of the problem for such bad pass rush is because of how the players are being used, not so much because the players are not good at it.

Yeah, just watched a bit of the Seattle/Cards game. Looked like the Los of old.

Lou needs to go.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2020, 03:44 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I think you're assuming that this shift was planned that long ahead of time. They also may have assumed that Dunlap would have been able to (and wanted to) adapt.

I just know that from what I've seen with this defense this season, it's going to be hard to get at the QB even if they add another pass rusher or two. They have to be more aggressive with their playcalling.

Yeah the more I pay attention to this team/coaching staff, the more it seems like they are making it up as they go along. Doesn't seem like the coaches have a clue. But MB will definitely give them a shot to 'figure it out'. 

Hope it works out, but I'm not optimistic. 

I think the talent level is getting better, but coaching-wise these fellas have a lot to learn.
Reply/Quote
We don't actually have a cohesive scheme on defense. We have a "hybrid" POS that does nothing well and is inhibiting the development of young players by setting them up to fail with inconsistent duties in plays.
Reply/Quote
Scheme? Lol.

Defensive formations and schemes are alot simpler than most fans want to believe. It's less about schemes than winning matchups. Coaching defense is more about technique than it is about scheme.

Carlos Dunlap is a perfect example. In 2019 in the same defense he had a fantastic finish to the year. 2020 he didnt put as much effort into his play...scheme didnt have anything to do with it.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(11-20-2020, 01:38 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I believe this defense has lacked any swagger and has been playing non-aggressive for several years now dating back to before the current staff.

And I feel that's a big factor in well everything. They take the field with a gee I hope we don't get crushed, again, attitude and it shows.

the last time this defense had swagger was when they had Pac-man and Burfict
Reply/Quote