Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Defensive starters
Last couple years we have run a 4-2-5
Hubbard/Reader/Ogunjobi/Hendrickson
Pratt/Wilson
Bates/Bell
Waynes/Hilton/Awuzie

There are only 3 players in this lineup that were on this team in 2019..Bates/Hubbard/Pratt...

That is a huge turn around in a short time
Reply/Quote
If I'm Phillips I'm slightly ticked, and on the verge of asking for a trade (they probably should try to as he'd fetch a mid round pick). He was already showing signs of being fed up last season with his lack of respect.

I think he should get the shot to start opposite Waynes.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 02:06 PM)jj22 Wrote: If I'm Phillips I'm slightly ticked, and on the verge of asking for a trade (they probably should try to as he'd fetch a mid round pick). He was already showing signs of being fed up last season with his lack of respect.

Didn't Phillips start when he was healthy last year?

Seems like all our DBs missed games last year so it is kind of hard to figure out.  But I assume Phillips will get a shot to start this year.

We lost Alexander and Jackson who played over 1500 combined snaps.  And I sur hope Simms does not play 600+ snaps like he did last year.  So those three will be replace by Waynes, Hilton, and Awuzie.  That still leaves Phillips in about the same role as last year.
Reply/Quote
With Erickson gone I would expect Phillips to handle punt return and then he will see probably 30% of snaps rotating in to give breathers. He would also be the first guy off the bench as he can play inside or out. Asking for a trade won't work for him as the market is still flooded with arguably much better options and he is on the last year of his deal anyways.
Reply/Quote
I wish we would've been slower to replace guys, now that Kyle Fuller is available.....
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 02:41 PM)Fulcher_33 Wrote: I wish we would've been slower to replace guys, now that Kyle Fuller is available.....

I think Fuller still gets double digits which is probably not where we wanted to be in terms of getting Hilton plus an outside guy.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 02:46 PM)Au165 Wrote: I think Fuller still gets double digits which is probably not where we wanted to be in terms of getting Hilton plus an outside guy.
Yeah I'm sure he does get that, but he is a True#1 CB. Can play man or zone. Worth it for a guy like that, because it won't matter what scheme we run depending on what clowns are running the show.  anyway JMO
Reply/Quote
First seven games of last season Phillips played over 88% of the snaps in 5 of them.

He was injured in game #8 and did not return until game #13.

He then played 100% of the snaps in games 14-15.

Injured again in game 16.

I remember him being one of the guys tweeting about "wasting talent". That must have been when his playing time dipped in games 5 and 6. Don't know what that happened, but he played 96% of the snaps in game seven before getting injured the next week.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 02:39 PM)Au165 Wrote: With Erickson gone I would expect Phillips to handle punt return and then he will see probably 30% of snaps rotating in to give breathers. He would also be the first guy off the bench as he can play inside or out. Asking for a trade won't work for him as the market is still flooded with arguably much better options and he is on the last year of his deal anyways.

I hope they give Brandon Wilson a chance to return punts.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 02:48 PM)Fulcher_33 Wrote: Yeah I'm sure he does get that, but he is a True#1 CB. Can play man or zone. Worth it for a guy like that, because it won't matter what scheme we run depending on what clowns are running the show.  anyway JMO

Fuller is best used in zone. All signs point to him reuniting with his former DC Fangio out in Denver...so we probably would have lost out there. As much as people aren't excited about Awuzie there was a market for him and he can be a really solid player at a really affordable price, he is also like 4 years younger than Fuller.
Reply/Quote
Phillips inability to stay healthy is definitely an issue with trusting him as a starter.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
I really hope this defense stays relatively healthy this year so we can analyze some of these guys better.

We could have a decent Dline and decent corners, but it’s tough to tell. Lots of unknowns from a fan perspective.

If Wayne’s and Readwr live up to their contracts and then a guy like Hendrickson turns out to be more than a one year wonder, we could be decent.

Still need another pass rusher, another good linebacker and another good outside corner... but hey, it LOOKS better for now.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 02:50 PM)Au165 Wrote: Fuller is best used in zone. All signs point to him reuniting with his former DC Fangio out in Denver...so we probably would have lost out there. As much as people aren't excited about Awuzie there was a market for him and he can be a really solid player at a really affordable price, he is also like 4 years younger than Fuller.

I have no issues with Awuzie at all. I think he has a lot of promise. Fuller is just a stud. Im confident Awuzie can be solid, and who knows maybe he becomes a rock solid starter for us for the 3years +
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 02:50 PM)Au165 Wrote: Fuller is best used in zone. All signs point to him reuniting with his former DC Fangio out in Denver...so we probably would have lost out there. As much as people aren't excited about Awuzie there was a market for him and he can be a really solid player at a really affordable price, he is also like 4 years younger than Fuller.

The Saints were pushing hard for Awuzie.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 02:06 PM)jj22 Wrote: If I'm Phillips I'm slightly ticked, and on the verge of asking for a trade (they probably should try to as he'd fetch a mid round pick). He was already showing signs of being fed up last season with his lack of respect.

Awuzie shouldn't be just handed the starting spot opposite Waynes. Should be competition that Phillips salivates over.

He shouldn't be ticked, don't understand why, we needed another boundary Corner and another Slot since Mack left.
Reply/Quote
No reason for Phillips to be mad about a thing. He knows as well as anyone how many guys were injured last season, himself included.. He made his own name known to fans because of injuries and his ability to handle INTs..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Replace Pratt with ADG. ADG has shown improvement Pratt has been awful both years so far.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2021, 12:18 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Replace Pratt with ADG. ADG has shown improvement Pratt has been awful both years so far.

Idk what you saw last year but ADG was a liability when on the field. Pratt actually looked better by the end of the year.
Reply/Quote
Fuller wound up signing for 9.5 million. I wouldn't have protested to that signing at all.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 02:48 PM)Fulcher_33 Wrote: Yeah I'm sure he does get that, but he is a True#1 CB. Can play man or zone. Worth it for a guy like that, because it won't matter what scheme we run depending on what clowns are running the show.  anyway JMO

Broncos snapped up Fuller....
Reply/Quote