Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Definition of Woke
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/woke

“aware of and actively attentive to important facts and issues (especially issues of racial and social justice)”

I kept wondering why they would want to stop me from being awake. Turns out woke means being aware of facts and issues. Makes a whole lot more sense now why republicans want to stop “woke”.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2022, 01:43 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/woke

“aware of and actively attentive to important facts and issues (especially issues of racial and social justice)”

I kept wondering why they would want to stop me from being awake. Turns out woke means being aware of facts and issues. Makes a whole lot more sense now why republicans want to stop “woke”.

Oh because that's what the dictionary says.  If you were Brad you'd have some incoming.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ev373c7wSRg

Woke or racist?
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2022, 01:43 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/woke

Alternate facts* - Republicans everywhere
Reply/Quote
Because sleeping is nice sometimes too. Everything in moderation yknow?

Reply/Quote
We went from people getting offended people get offended to people being woke about people being woke.

What is next?
Reply/Quote
Here's the street definition

Attached Files Image(s)

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2022, 02:55 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Here's the street definition

Hmm, that sounds like a good thing.  What happened to the good old days when people who stood up for the downtrodden weren't vilified? 

Jesus wept, he did. 
Reply/Quote
Yeah imho woke can be defined in very different ways. For sure the official definition is something I'd consider a positive. Doesn't mean that those that use the term in a more derogatory manner are flat-out wrong about the things they critizise. Which, imho, is one of the biggest blind spots the so-called left has. How often being woke turns into a form of conviction terror - you're either with me on all the issues 100%, or I consider you a bad, backwards, immoral, racist person not even worth listening to.

Eg. one can be for secure borders without being a xenophobe, or critical of several aspects of Islam without being an Islamophobe, or consider some forms of affirmative action as not productive without being a racist, and so on. But it seems more and more people are not willing to even consider these possibilities and rather assume everyone not completely on their page is all of these things.

Or in short, if people think wokeness is divisive and a problem I usually can understand where they are coming from.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2022, 08:32 AM)hollodero Wrote: Yeah imho woke can be defined in very different ways. For sure the official definition is something I'd consider a positive. Doesn't mean that those that use the term in a more derogatory manner are flat-out wrong about the things they critizise. Which, imho, is one of the biggest blind spots the so-called left has. How often being woke turns into a form of conviction terror - you're either with me on all the issues 100%, or I consider you a bad, backwards, immoral, racist person not even worth listening to.

Eg. one can be for secure borders without being a xenophobe, or critical of several aspects of Islam without being an Islamophobe, or consider some forms of affirmative action as not productive without being a racist, and so on. But it seems more and more people are not willing to even consider these possibilities and rather assume everyone not completely on their page is all of these things.

Or in short, if people think wokeness is divisive and a problem I usually can understand where they are coming from.

I've been on these forums since 2005. And this post speaks to me about as much as anything I've ever read here. Kudos to you, sir! I got into trouble for making an OCD joke on Facebook. Oh man...you'd think I pushed an old lady off a cliff or something. Here is the joke I made and you guys decide-

Wife- "My OCD is really bad! Lol" (posts picture of her amazing organization skillz)

Me- "Mine is bad too. OCDeez boobies when you get home!"

Or something like that, lol. I was told by others that OCD can be debilitating for some, and my words could trigger anxiety, toxic masculinity (it was towards my wife who loves that I love her boobs!) etc.....

Ummmmmm....I actually have OCD. For example, one of the things that I do, and still do at times, is count my steps when I walk. But I start with the number 15 and end at 20, and then repeat over and over. 

And people are offended for others. Like.....stop doing that. People can stick up for themselves. My observation is that a lot on the left wanna see nothing but racism (sexist etc), and the folks on the right will deny any of it exists or that it's evolved and not a big deal. I'm somewhere in between that. I still feel we have a long way to go and people should be fighting the good fight. But not attacking others over mild offensive humor lol. I still don't find the joke to be offensive. But whatevs. The lectures I was getting was super creepy and seemed brainwashy to me. I used to get those from right wingers. Welcome to the club leftys!
I used to be jmccracky. Or Cracky for short.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2022, 08:32 AM)hollodero Wrote: Yeah imho woke can be defined in very different ways. For sure the official definition is something I'd consider a positive. Doesn't mean that those that use the term in a more derogatory manner are flat-out wrong about the things they critizise. Which, imho, is one of the biggest blind spots the so-called left has. How often being woke turns into a form of conviction terror - you're either with me on all the issues 100%, or I consider you a bad, backwards, immoral, racist person not even worth listening to.

As is frequently the case, the Australian gets it.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2022, 10:35 AM)jmccracky Wrote: I've been on these forums since 2005. And this post speaks to me about as much as anything I've ever read here. Kudos to you, sir! I got into trouble for making an OCD joke on Facebook. Oh man...you'd think I pushed an old lady off a cliff or something. Here is the joke I made and you guys decide-

Wife- "My OCD is really bad! Lol" (posts picture of her amazing organization skillz)

Me- "Mine is bad too. OCDeez boobies when you get home!"

Or something like that, lol. I was told by others that OCD can be debilitating for some, and my words could trigger anxiety, toxic masculinity (it was towards my wife who loves that I love her boobs!) etc.....

Ummmmmm....I actually have OCD. For example, one of the things that I do, and still do at times, is count my steps when I walk. But I start with the number 15 and end at 20, and then repeat over and over. 

And people are offended for others. Like.....stop doing that. People can stick up for themselves. My observation is that a lot on the left wanna see nothing but racism (sexist etc), and the folks on the right will deny any of it exists or that it's evolved and not a big deal. I'm somewhere in between that. I still feel we have a long way to go and people should be fighting the good fight. But not attacking others over mild offensive humor lol. I still don't find the joke to be offensive. But whatevs. The lectures I was getting was super creepy and seemed brainwashy to me. I used to get those from right wingers. Welcome to the club leftys!

We can't assess your joke without all the facts. 

POST DEM TITTIES!
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2022, 12:01 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: As is frequently the case, the Australian gets it.

I think the Great Barrier Reef is probably a great place for contemplation.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote

Eg. one can be for secure borders without being a xenophobe, or critical of several aspects of Islam without being an Islamophobe, or consider some forms of affirmative action as not productive without being a racist, and so on.But it seems more and more people are not willing to even consider these possibilities and rather assume everyone not completely on their page is all of these things.

(05-01-2022, 12:01 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: As is frequently the case, the Australian gets it.
Also, Conservatives usually do when the stereotypes fall on them. They may not agree with all of the accused's actions, but they quietly vote right along with them. When your party no longer has a platform other than "You'll find out when we win it back", they're not trying to speak to the responsible side of the party, they're appealing to the lowest common denominator. Tough shit if you get lumped in, or in MAGA speak "**** Your Feelings".
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2022, 02:11 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Also, Conservatives usually do when the stereotypes fall on them. They may not agree with all of the accused's actions, but they quietly vote right along with them. When your party no longer has a platform other than "You'll find out when we win it back", they're not trying to speak to the responsible side of the party, they're appealing to the lowest common denominator. Tough shit if you get lumped in, or in MAGA speak "**** Your Feelings".

Who knew Hollo was a Republican?  Very empowering post, btw.  Stunning and brave and all that.  Doesn't come off as unhinged at all.   Hilarious
Reply/Quote

Does this apply to being actively attentive to alternative facts and issues too?

Am I "woke" if I want to pound non-existent CRT out of my school district 

or remove Harry Potter from the school library?
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2022, 02:13 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Who knew Hollo was a Republican?  Very empowering post, btw.  Stunning and brave and all that.  Doesn't come off as unhinged at all.   Hilarious

I said "Also". I wasn't calling him a conservative.

Sorry, it my post disturbed you. Just trying to speak y'all's language.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2022, 03:03 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: I said "Also". I wasn't calling him a conservative.

Sorry, it my post disturbed you. Just trying to speak y'all's language.

Certainly not disturbed by it.  But it is nonsensical and hyperbolic.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2022, 04:44 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Certainly not disturbed by it.  But it is nonsensical and hyperbolic.

Where was I wrong? You were confused by the word 'also', where was I nonsensical?
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2022, 08:05 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Where was I wrong? You were confused by the word 'also', where was I nonsensical?

Start with the beginning of your post.  Then read all of it.  You just discovered the answer to all of that without having to ask.  Bonus!
Reply/Quote