Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Defunding Public Libraries
Conservative politicians' new target is the funding of public libraries.

LLano County Texas was ordered by a judge to return "banned" books to the shelves of their library. Now they are set to vote on closing the library entirely.

Missouri legislative Republicans, in response to lawsuits from the Missouri Association of School Librarians and the Missouri Library Association concerning book bans, has voted to remove ALL funding from the state's public libraries

Rep. Clay Higgins, R-La., tweeted: “Over time, American communities will build beautiful, church owned public-access libraries. I’m going to help these churches get funding. We will change the whole public library paradigm. The libraries regular Americans recall are gone. They’ve become liberal grooming centers.”

They are just censoring what children can read. They are censoring what ADULTS can read at the library. They are all for parental rights until parents make choices for their children that conservatives disagree with. They are all against "cancel" culture unless it is something they are canceling. These banned books are written about topics conservatives don't think anyone should learn about or written by authors they don't approve of.

If your only path to power is keeping the public ignorant, then conservatives should really be reexamining how they do business. Keep in mind that if you are applauding the crushing of liberal ideas that sooner or later more extreme right wing conservatives will come after your ideas.

The silencing of ideas and information is the real slippery slope that every American should be afraid of.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Ladies and gentlemen. Actual cancel culture in action. And it’s because they can’t ban certain books. I’m beyond ready for the GOP to go away.
Reply/Quote
Disgusting.

Queue twinkle-toed justification.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
And somehow they will be shocked and outraged that people don't vote for them again ?

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
The party of small government and anti-woke policies who hate cancel culture strikes again.
Reply/Quote
Not in favor of banning any book for any reason. You can discuss age appropriate material, but for adults, no.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(04-12-2023, 08:25 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Not in favor of banning any book for any reason. You can discuss age appropriate material, but for adults, no.

Hot take that doesn’t come close to addressing the issue.

Nailed it.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2023, 12:07 AM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Hot take that doesn’t come close to addressing the issue.

Nailed it.

OK thanks.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(04-12-2023, 05:33 PM)pally Wrote: Conservative politicians' new target is the funding of public libraries.

LLano County Texas was ordered by a judge to return "banned" books to the shelves of their library.  Now they are set to vote on closing the library entirely.

Missouri legislative Republicans, in response to lawsuits from the Missouri Association of School Librarians and the Missouri Library Association  concerning book bans, has voted to remove ALL funding from the state's public libraries

Rep. Clay Higgins, R-La., tweeted: “Over time, American communities will build beautiful, church owned public-access libraries. I’m going to help these churches get funding. We will change the whole public library paradigm. The libraries regular Americans recall are gone. They’ve become liberal grooming centers.”

They are just censoring what children can read.  They are censoring what ADULTS can read at the library.  They are all for parental rights until parents make choices for their children that conservatives disagree with. They are all against "cancel" culture unless it is something they are canceling.  These banned books are written about topics conservatives don't think anyone should learn about or written by authors they don't approve of.  

If your only path to power is keeping the public ignorant, then conservatives should really be reexamining how they do business.  Keep in mind that if you are applauding the crushing of liberal ideas that sooner or later more extreme right wing conservatives will come after your ideas.  

The silencing of ideas and information is the real slippery slope that every American should be afraid of.

Well, Higgins is quite right that public libraries are "liberal grooming centers," inculcating values of free speech and free, non-partisan access to knowledge in their community patrons. They are part of the general democratic impulse which has informed U.S. public education since the 19th century. 

The counter to that now seems to be illiberal grooming centers, run by partisan organizations out to contest the free-access "dogma." 

One should see this targeting of libraries as part of a larger pattern which includes defunding public universities and shutting down departments/programs to coerce faculties and schools away from "diversity" and academic freedom in favor of the private religious school model--e.g. DeSantis touting Hillsdale as the pattern for remaking Florida higher ed. 

I think "conservatives" ARE re-examining how they do business, and they are finding that the open-market of ideas does not favor their cause. THAT is the "slippery slope" they are afraid of.

("Conservatives" in quotation marks because many traditional conservatives have been supporters of free-access to knowledge. But while all conservatives are on the Right, not all the Right are conservatives, in the traditional Burkean/Buckley jr. sense.) 
Reply/Quote
Times sure have changed for the worse. My parents defended conservative values. Now, people are making a mockery of them. How long will God bless the USA as we head towards lack of morals.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2023, 07:37 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Times sure have changed for the worse. My parents defended conservative values. Now, people are making a mockery of them. How long will God bless the USA as we head towards lack of morals.

Ah yes the conservative values of keeping the population uneducated and in fear of the ever nebulous "they".
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2023, 07:37 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Times sure have changed for the worse. My parents defended conservative values. Now, people are making a mockery of them. How long will God bless the USA as we head towards lack of morals.

What conservative values?  Can list them?
[Image: giphy.gif]
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote

Why would God bless the USA more than Brazil or Japan is a mystery I guess. 

When you have hundreds of school shootings, the most important number of people in prison or homeless in the world, I don't call that a blessing ...

But televangelists are millionnaires so everything is OK.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote

Was God blessing the U.S.A. when slavery was legal and husbands were allowed husbands to "chastise" their wives? 

Are you sure we are going downhill for lack of morals? 
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2023, 04:57 AM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: Why would God bless the USA more than Brazil or Japan is a mystery I guess. 

When you have hundreds of school shootings, the most important number of people in prison or homeless in the world, I don't call that a blessing ...

But televangelists are millionnaires so everything is OK.

No mystery.  God wanted an exceptional nation that would be a shining city on the hill for all to emulate.

So He decreed George Washington be born in the U.S., not Brazil or Japan.

It was His choice. 
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2023, 03:12 PM)Dill Wrote: Was God blessing the U.S.A. when slavery was legal and husbands were allowed husbands to "chastise" their wives? 

Are you sure we are going downhill for lack of morals? 

By chastise do you mean choke slam?

Because my Mom got choke slammed by her Dad.
Reply/Quote

How long will the sun keep shining when it finds out we're no longer sacrificing humans in it's name?  This worries me.  
Reply/Quote

Considering the values we see coming out of the GOP run contrary to just about everything Jesus preached, I would think that us moving away from that bullshit could result in God shining his grace on us even more.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2023, 10:10 AM)samhain Wrote: How long will the sun keep shining when it finds out we're no longer sacrificing humans in it's name?  This worries me.  

And the blended fabrics?! WON'T SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN?!?!
Reply/Quote