Demarcus Walker Vs Derek Barnett
Dereck barnett stats Demarcus Walker stats
39 games. 49 games
198 tackles. 179 tackles
52 tackles for loss. 41.5 tackles for loss
32 sacks. 27 sacks
He went from. 73 tackles. He went from 18 tackles
To 69 tackles. To 38 tackles to 56
To 56 tackles from freshman. Tackles to 67 tackles.
To sophomore to junior. From freshman-senior.
3 ff went from to 9-10-13. 7 ff went from 1 to 1 to
In sacks. To 9 to 16 in sacks
Reply/Quote
Walker has gotten better every year while Barnett has gotten worse.
Reply/Quote
https://youtu.be/Xc_UnxvF47A
Barnett

https://youtu.be/XFnxMncXjL4
Walker
https://youtu.be/-_P13bssi8o
Reply/Quote
Walker is a better choice for the 2nd round than Barnett is for the pick at number 9 in my opinion, and we can get him a round later and focus on another offensive threat like Williams or a safety/linebacker which we also need.
Reply/Quote
Less games played and Barnett is better in every category.

You did the research to make a point. But since the data doesnt support your point why make the post?
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2017, 11:16 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Less games played and Barnett is better in every category.

You did the research to make a point. But since the data doesnt support your point why make the post?

better but he has gone down every year since being a freshman while Walker has gone up every year so if we draft him we should expect only 40 tackles from Barnett. Bc he has gone down every year. I'll take the guy who has gone up every year and has more sacks and tackles than Barnett this year. Also 4 more forced fumbles.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2017, 11:16 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Less games played and Barnett is better in every category.

To be fair, Walker is late 1st-early 2nd prospect, while Barnett is mid-late 1st.  The point I think he's trying to make is Barnett at #9 that much better than Walker at #41.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'm curious to know both of their arm lengths. While both are "shorter than ideal" for Bengals DEs (team seems to prefer edge rushers 6'5" and taller), having long arms will be important to getting hands in the way to block passes and to also keep OL off the body. I've heard that Walker has long arms, but have not heard about Barnett.

I'd be happy with either though if drafted, but if I had my way, I'd prefer Walker in the second round and a different position in the first round over Barnett at 9.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Harold Landry is one of the top 3 pass rushers in this draft
Reply/Quote
Isnt Walker a DE/DT While Barnett is a pure edge pass rusher. I don't get why we are debating these two players?
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2017, 06:42 PM)J24 Wrote: Isnt Walker a DE/DT While Barnett is a pure edge pass rusher. I don't get why we are debating these two players?

Walker has jumped inside and out, but he will play outside in a 4-3 at the next level.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2017, 11:14 PM)tBengal Wrote: Walker is a better choice for the 2nd round than Barnett is for the pick at number 9 in my opinion, and we can get him a round later and focus on another offensive threat like Williams or a safety/linebacker which we also need.

If he has a good combine he won't be there in the second.  
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2017, 06:42 PM)J24 Wrote: Isnt Walker a DE/DT While Barnett is a pure edge pass rusher. I don't get why we are debating these two players?

Walker moved to DT on passing downs to allow more pass rushers on the field, he does not have the size to play DT in the NFL, even just in pass rush packages.

Disclosure: I am a FSU fan and watched every game Walker played in. He is a high motor and hustle type of pass rusher, but not a natural elite guy like a Von Miller or Vic Beasley. Which probably explains why he isn't viewed as a top of the 1st round guy. I don't know if he can be a full time DE in the league, will probably fit better as back-up rotational guy.

Don't get me wrong, I'd take him in a heart beat, I just don't know if he could be the replacement for MJ or just replace Hunt.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2017, 07:18 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Walker moved to DT on passing downs to allow more pass rushers on the field, he does not have the size to play DT in the NFL, even just in pass rush packages.

Disclosure: I am a FSU fan and watched every game Walker played in. He is a high motor and hustle type of pass rusher, but not a natural elite guy like a Von Miller or Vic Beasley. Which probably explains why he isn't viewed as a top of the 1st round guy. I don't know if he can be a full time DE in the league, will probably fit better as back-up rotational guy.

Don't get me wrong, I'd take him in a heart beat, I just don't know if he could be the replacement for MJ or just replace Hunt.
As a osu fan they said the same thing about joey bosa and one he came in that high motor and instincts took over and he been lighting up sack boards. I never watched fsu  games but since hearing about Walker went back and watched them all he looks like bosa that high motor and intelligent footbalk IQ
Reply/Quote
Figured I'd post these 2 just saw these draft profiles
http://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Draft-Scouting-Reports/Scouting-Report-DeMarcus-Walker.asp

http://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Draft-Scouting-Reports/Scouting-Report-Derek-Barnett.asp
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2017, 08:32 PM)Jpoore Wrote: Figured I'd post these 2 just saw these draft profiles
http://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Draft-Scouting-Reports/Scouting-Report-DeMarcus-Walker.asp

http://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Draft-Scouting-Reports/Scouting-Report-Derek-Barnett.asp

I didn't need those reports and numbers that you provided, to know that Walker is a top shelf player, and one that I would love to see on the Bengals.  However, I'm glad that you did.  I was commenting with an FSU fan about the Bowl game, saying that he was the real deal.   As the offseason progresses, I feel like the stock rising/stock falling is going to put Walker into the 1st round, and push Barnett down the charts a bit. 

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2017, 08:18 PM)Jpoore Wrote: As a osu fan they said the same thing about joey bosa and one he came in that high motor and instincts took over and he been lighting up sack boards. I never watched fsu  games but since hearing about Walker went back and watched them all he looks like bosa that high motor and intelligent footbalk IQ

Who is they? Mel Kiper had him as his #1 overall prospect for the entire season last year and most other pundits ranked him in the top 5.

I think Walker's best trait is his leadership skills. Checkout the Showtime show "A Season with Florida State Seminoles" and you'll see Walker is the leader of the the whole team, not just the defense.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2017, 11:39 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Who is they? Mel Kiper had him as his #1 overall prospect for the entire season last year and most other pundits ranked him in the top 5.

I think Walker's best trait is his leadership skills. Checkout the Showtime show "A Season with Florida State Seminoles" and you'll see Walker is the leader of the the whole team, not just the defense.

Talking about the motor and instincts but he's not a natural pass rusher and was slow with his 40 time he was always ranked high but those traits I saw the same with. Bosa
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2017, 12:00 AM)Jpoore Wrote: Talking about the motor and instincts but he's not a natural pass rusher and was slow with his 40 time he was always ranked high but those traits I saw the same with. Bosa

I think with Bosa you had a better pedigree with his dad having played in the NFL and he has better size and length than Walker.
Reply/Quote