Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Democratic Squad Member pulls fire alarm
I had a nice long post written about this whole thing but deleted it.

If they want to punish him then can and will.  If they don't they won't.

The usual parties with defend or attack him and they'll use their pet topics to do it.

And the rational people will be called out for not caring enough.

Welcome to American political discourse. Smirk
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
Couldn't you just censure the guy?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2023, 09:56 AM)hollodero Wrote: Couldn't you just censure the guy?

He committed a crime punishable by a minimum of 6 months in jail and up to 30 years.

I thought liberals said no one is above the law. We will find out if another Democrat gets biased treatment.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/jamaal-bowman-could-face-more-than-30-years-behind-bars-for-fire-alarm-pull/ar-AA1hzyp1

Jamaal Bowman could face more than 30 years behind bars for fire alarm pull

It is possible that Bowman could be charged with three crimes and receive a maximum sentence of nearly 36 years, according to D.C. and federal laws.

The lesser of the three offenses is a false emergency report. Under D.C. law, it is a misdemeanor and punishable by up to six months in prison and a $1,000 fine.

Falsely pulling a fire alarm could also constitute illegal obstruction of congressional proceedings, a felony under federal law 18 U.S.C. § 1505. The felony is punishable by no more than five years. The law calls for eight years if the offense involves domestic or international terrorism, which could not apply in Bowman's case.

Related video: 'Squad' Dem Jamaal Bowman accused of pulling fire alarm to delay House budget vote (FOX News)

Bowman's act could also conceivably be tried as an obstruction of justice charge under D.C. law, which includes "corruptly, or by threats of force, any way obstructs or impedes or endeavors to obstruct or impede the due administration of justice in any official proceeding." This Class A felony would carry a punishment of at least three years and no more than 30 years and a fine as low as $12,500.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
What a dumbass haha.
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2023, 10:46 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: He committed a crime punishable by a minimum of 6 months in jail and up to 30 years.

I thought liberals said no one is above the law. We will find out if another Democrat gets biased treatment.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/jamaal-bowman-could-face-more-than-30-years-behind-bars-for-fire-alarm-pull/ar-AA1hzyp1

Jamaal Bowman could face more than 30 years behind bars for fire alarm pull

It is possible that Bowman could be charged with three crimes and receive a maximum sentence of nearly 36 years, according to D.C. and federal laws.

The lesser of the three offenses is a false emergency report. Under D.C. law, it is a misdemeanor and punishable by up to six months in prison and a $1,000 fine.

Falsely pulling a fire alarm could also constitute illegal obstruction of congressional proceedings, a felony under federal law 18 U.S.C. § 1505. The felony is punishable by no more than five years. The law calls for eight years if the offense involves domestic or international terrorism, which could not apply in Bowman's case.

Related video: 'Squad' Dem Jamaal Bowman accused of pulling fire alarm to delay House budget vote (FOX News)

Bowman's act could also conceivably be tried as an obstruction of justice charge under D.C. law, which includes "corruptly, or by threats of force, any way obstructs or impedes or endeavors to obstruct or impede the due administration of justice in any official proceeding." This Class A felony would carry a punishment of at least three years and no more than 30 years and a fine as low as $12,500.

The gop should start an inquiry.   Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2023, 11:09 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: What a dumbass haha.

Anyone who's every heard the guy talk knows this about him.  He's the epitome of a person who believes if they say something loud enough it gains gravitas.  He's also an insane race baiter and if his public statements are anything to go by he's not a very intelligent person either.  Honestly, the Dems would be better off without him just like the GOP would be better off without Boebert.

Also, as to Hollo's question, yes they could censure him, and I think that's likely going to be the outcome.  He'll certainly spin it as a positive, that he's being persecuted by the Nazi GOP because he's a black man who dares to speak truth to power or some other hyperbolic bullshit.  Anything but own his actions.
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2023, 11:38 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Anyone who's every heard the guy talk knows this about him.  He's the epitome of a person who believes if they say something loud enough it gains gravitas.  He's also an insane race baiter and if his public statements are anything to go by he's not a very intelligent person either.  Honestly, the Dems would be better off without him just like the GOP would be better off without Boebert.

Also, as to Hollo's question, yes they could censure him, and I think that's likely going to be the outcome.  He'll certainly spin it as a positive, that he's being persecuted by the Nazi GOP because he's a black man who dares to speak truth to power or some other hyperbolic bullshit.  Anything but own his actions.

Apparently, a memo came from his office to other democrats requesting that they defend him and in the memo he says something along the lines of "Republicans need to instead focus their energy on the Nazi members of their party before anything else."

Whether it's true or not that there are fascists in the Republican party (opinion withheld), putting that in a memo when you work with those fascists is just...

Man, talk about being politically dimwitted. I get that Congress is so divided that this likely has no consequence (Republicans and Democrats are never going to work together anyway, so calling them Nazis likely does not close any doors), but still. 

This isn't Reddit. It's the House of Representatives.
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2023, 11:42 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Apparently, a memo came from his office to other democrats requesting that they defend him and in the memo he says something along the lines of "Republicans need to instead focus their energy on the Nazi members of their party before anything else."

Whether it's true or not that there are fascists in the Republican party (opinion withheld), putting that in a memo when you work with those fascists is just...

Man, talk about being politically dimwitted. I get that Congress is so divided that this likely has no consequence (Republicans and Democrats are never going to work together anyway, so calling them Nazis likely does not close any doors), but still. 

I'm on record numerous times as saying Nazi analogies are so extreme that they should only be used against a literal Nazi, a person waving a swastika flag, heiling on a corner and espousing Nazi ideals.  There are certain far leftists here who disagree and welcome Nazi accusations as they feel they are appropriate.  As extreme as some GOP reps are, I don't see one who comes close to earning the label of Nazi.  

This is further evidence, if any was needed, of how unserious this man is and his willingness to use racism allegations to cover for his, in this case criminal but most often, insipid actions and statements.  The muppets on The View are actually defending this clown.  It's honestly like the whole world is crazy and people can't call out the behavior of anyone who shares their political ideology.
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2023, 11:42 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Apparently, a memo came from his office to other democrats requesting that they defend him and in the memo he says something along the lines of "Republicans need to instead focus their energy on the Nazi members of their party before anything else."

I would just like to gesture towards the clown show going on in the House this week. Is there really a difference?

I really do consume too much from the inside-the-beltway sources that really just highlight how juvenile these people are. I mean, I really dislike the policy positions of my Representative, but one thing he and I agree on is how ridiculous his colleagues are. We've had that conversation.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2023, 12:12 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I would just like to gesture towards the clown show going on in the House this week. Is there really a difference?

I really do consume too much from the inside-the-beltway sources that really just highlight how juvenile these people are. I mean, I really dislike the policy positions of my Representative, but one thing he and I agree on is how ridiculous his colleagues are. We've had that conversation.

The House is a joke. I think it's 99% because of the Boebert/Gaetz/Greene caucus, but there are some silly Democrats too that have taken their bait.

This is what happens when states gerrymander districts to go for one party regardless of how shitty the candidate is. The Senate, by comparison, is much more reasonable because everyone in that chamber has to appeal to the entire state to get elected.
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2023, 12:08 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I'm on record numerous times as saying Nazi analogies are so extreme that they should only be used against a literal Nazi, a person waving a swastika flag, heiling on a corner and espousing Nazi ideals.  There are certain far leftists here who disagree and welcome Nazi accusations as they feel they are appropriate.  As extreme as some GOP reps are, I don't see one who comes close to earning the label of Nazi.  

This is further evidence, if any was needed, of how unserious this man is and his willingness to use racism allegations to cover for his, in this case criminal but most often, insipid actions and statements.  The muppets on The View are actually defending this clown.  It's honestly like the whole world is crazy and people can't call out the behavior of anyone who shares their political ideology.

Nazi is just way too specific. You can be a fascist without being a Nazi. I don't know why people on the left open themselves up to be brushed off so easily by using a term that has, in essence, become meaningless over the years. The term Nazi has been so overused in our culture that, even if you use it correctly and there's a literal Nazi in congress, people wouldn't believe you simply because you made the comparison.

Democrats need to learn some tact.
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2023, 12:19 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: The House is a joke. I think it's 99% because of the Boebert/Gaetz/Greene caucus, but there are some silly Democrats too that have taken their bait.

This is what happens when states gerrymander districts to go for one party regardless of how shitty the candidate is. The Senate, by comparison, is much more reasonable because everyone in that chamber has to appeal to the entire state to get elected.

I don't see much, if any difference between those people and "The Squad".  Although I will say Omar conducts herself with the proper decorum, but this is contrasted by her, IMO, legitimately being an antisemite.   

(10-03-2023, 12:21 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Nazi is just way too specific. You can be a fascist without being a Nazi. I don't know why people on the left open themselves up to be brushed off so easily by using a term that has, in essence, become meaningless over the years. The term Nazi has been so overused in our culture that, even if you use it correctly and there's a literal Nazi in congress, people wouldn't believe you simply because you made the comparison.

Democrats need to learn some tact.

Fascist isn't even the correct word, as it denotes a right wing style of authoritarianism.  The proper term would be authoritarian, because it covers both ends of the ideological spectrum.  You are correct, allegations of being a Nazi are meaningless, as are allegations of racism, as they've been overused to the point they are meaningless.  You're being far too kind to the Dems though, it's not that they lack tact.  It's that these allegations are a weapon of choice for them.  It's one of their first go to's, and Mr. Bowman just gave us a fine, and fresh example.  We'll get another by the end of the week though.
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2023, 12:31 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I don't see much, if any difference between those people and "The Squad".  Although I will say Omar conducts herself with the proper decorum, but this is contrasted by her, IMO, legitimately being an antisemite.   

Fascist isn't even the correct word, as it denotes a right wing style of authoritarianism.  The proper term would be authoritarian, because it covers both ends of the ideological spectrum.  You are correct, allegations of being a Nazi are meaningless, as are allegations of racism, as they've been overused to the point they are meaningless.  You're being far too kind to the Dems though, it's not that they lack tact.  It's that these allegations are a weapon of choice for them.  It's one of their first go to's, and Mr. Bowman just gave us a fine, and fresh example.  We'll get another by the end of the week though.

I agree with Democrats (and far left of Democrats) on many policies, but I've long felt that their tactics and behaviors are unbecoming of true leftists and repel people from causes that are otherwise extraordinarily popular and reasonable by today's standards (racial/gendered equality, affordable healthcare, worker protections, affordable college, abortion protection, separation of church and state, prevention of monopolies and coercive corporate practices, legalization of marijuana etc).

It's aggravating being associated with a party of people who believe all the right things (by my estimation), but continuously make themselves look like idiots, taking away from the causes that actually matter.
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2023, 12:41 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I agree with Democrats (and far left of Democrats) on many policies, but I've long felt that their tactics and behaviors are unbecoming of true leftists and repel people from causes that are otherwise extraordinarily popular and reasonable by today's standards (racial/gendered equality, affordable healthcare, worker protections, affordable college, abortion protection, separation of church and state, prevention of monopolies and coercive corporate practices, legalization of marijuana etc).

It's aggravating being associated with a party of people who believe all the right things (by my estimation), but continuously make themselves look like idiots, taking away from the causes that actually matter.

Funny thing is, on all the issues you listed I'm far more inline with the Dems than the GOP.  But I have to strongly disagree that the Dems "believe all the right things".  They are way off in several areas, obviously the criminal justice system being one of them.  I also find them far too much on the side of making people dependent on the government.  Also, their continued drift away from core 1A principles is extremely troubling.  

They don't have as many extreme positions as the GOP, but the ones they have are completely unpalatable to me.
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2023, 01:09 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Funny thing is, on all the issues you listed I'm far more inline with the Dems than the GOP.  But I have to strongly disagree that the Dems "believe all the right things".  They are way off in several areas, obviously the criminal justice system being one of them.  I also find them far too much on the side of making people dependent on the government.  Also, their continued drift away from core 1A principles is extremely troubling.  

They don't have as many extreme positions as the GOP, but the ones they have are completely unpalatable to me.

There's a thin line between the government protecting people from demise due to unforeseen bills (like a medical bill) or catastrophic life events (losing your job, losing a loved one etc) and constructing a system that people grow to depend on. It's hard to do one without the other inevitably occurring. Humans, by nature, are selfish beings and many will abuse any system to whatever extent they are able to if given the opportunity.

With that said, I would rather have a system that adequately protects people but also lets some people abuse it over a system that is not abusable but, consequently, allows people to perish due to lack of needed protections.

Obviously, when I say "the right things" that's a subjective measure based on my own beliefs and is a blanket statement. If we went through each and every belief, I'm sure there'd be several that I disagree with the Democrats on, especially their more capitalistic tendencies.

Regarding 1A, you already mentioned that authoritarianism is possible on both sides of the spectrum. It's our job to root out those authoritarians. Something that is difficult to do when districts are so gerrymandered (and primary participation is so low) that basically any crazy can get into the House given the right district and political environment.
Reply/Quote