Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Democrats Dangerously Close To Changing Laws So President Is Elected By Popular Vote
(07-30-2022, 05:00 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: It would actually make it so that no “places” would have a say. Land doesn’t have a say…the people do. The electoral college has given a handicap to the right for a while now, giving the people in places like Wyoming, Montana, and West Virginia much more voting power than the people in places like California, New York, or Massachusetts. Current votes mean more or less based on where you live, but I guess I understand the complaint that the right has with making every vote 1/1….they just can’t win on a level playing field.

If all parties know the rules ahead of time in order to be named POTUS, then how is it not a level playing field from the start?

I'd be fine with changing it to the Popular vote and if they do that, then just 2 things added to that.
1. The rules change immediately AFTER the next POTUS election and
2. No official numbers are released until all Voting Polls are closed.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2022, 06:40 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: If all parties know the rules ahead of time in order to be named POTUS, then how is it not a level playing field from the start?

I'd be fine with changing it to the Popular vote and if they do that, then just 2 things added to that.
1. The rules change immediately AFTER the next POTUS election and
2. No official numbers are released until all Voting Polls are closed.

Well, no official numbers are ever released until after all polls are closed. The dog and pony show on election night is entirely based on unofficial results. Though I am in favor of the UK model where the media doesn't talk about the election at all on election day until after the polls are closed.

But why after the next election? Now, once the primaries start for it then yeah, I can see saying the horse is out of the gate. But if it were to change today? No reason it shouldn't be in effect for 2024.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2022, 06:50 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Well, no official numbers are ever released until after all polls are closed. The dog and pony show on election night is entirely based on unofficial results. Though I am in favor of the UK model where the media doesn't talk about the election at all on election day until after the polls are closed.

But why after the next election? Now, once the primaries start for it then yeah, I can see saying the horse is out of the gate. But if it were to change today? No reason it shouldn't be in effect for 2024.

Simple, campaigning for the next POUTS cycles starts once the current one ends. 
Sure the sooner the better, but let's not give anyone a chance to whine about anything.
Reply/Quote
Dang reload got me
Reply/Quote