Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Democrats set votes to protect same-sex marriage and contraception
The entire bill is 5 pages, so length is definitely not an excuse for the Republicans who voted against it.

https://www.congress.gov/117/bills/hr8404/BILLS-117hr8404ih.pdf

Reply/Quote
(07-19-2022, 08:21 PM)Lucidus Wrote: The bill would repeal the Defense of Marriage Act and then codify same-sex marriage.

It also codifies interracial marriages

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(07-19-2022, 08:59 PM)pally Wrote: It also codifies interracial marriages

It does indeed. Hopefully, the Senate will do the right thing, but I'm not holding my breath.

Reply/Quote
(07-19-2022, 08:30 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Again, and I'm not doubting you, I would want to see the actual bill, because so much extra crap gets snuck into them.  But if you're 100% accurate then my previous statement stands.  

It is interesting to see the names of the people who voted in favor of DoMA.

https://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_votes/vote1042/vote_104_2_00280.htm

If you live in Cincinnati, all our local representatives voted against the bill

Reply/Quote
(07-19-2022, 09:07 PM)pally Wrote: If you live in Cincinnati, all our local representatives voted against the bill

I live in Orange County Ca after moving out of Los Angeles after almost twenty years because it's become an unlivable shithole.  I am surprised to hear that, I thought Cincy was a fairly liberal city.
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2022, 08:41 PM)Lucidus Wrote: Respect for Marriage Act https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/house-bill/8404

I read it and don't see anything objectionable or sneaky. 
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2022, 09:16 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I read it and don't see anything objectionable or sneaky. 

For a bill of such importance to so many people, it's incredibly short and to the point. 

Reply/Quote
(07-19-2022, 09:16 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I read it and don't see anything objectionable or sneaky. 

Odd to see legislation that isn't loaded with sub parts and poison pills.
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2022, 09:22 PM)Lucidus Wrote: For a bill of such importance to so many people, it's incredibly short and to the point. 

(07-19-2022, 09:30 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Odd to see legislation that isn't loaded with sub parts and poison pills.

Indeed, which is why I wanted to actually read it.  It's a common trick to slip some bullshit in an otherwise good bill and then lambast those who voted against it as voting against "children's health care" or "the military", instead of voting against the inserted crap.
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2022, 08:16 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I always like to know the entire content of a bill before I get on people for not voting for it.  I will say if it's a straight (no pun intended) codifying of same sex marriage then I would be disappointed by that number as well. 

Yeah, you're likely right on the first point, although I would hope it's not nearly as big a deal for their voter base as your stating.  As to your second point, that's also likely correct.  I may be a bit of a Pollyanna on this issue, but I just don't see same sex marriage being overturned by SCOTUS like Roe.  It's on super solid constitutional ground and I don't even know the mental gymnastics needed to state otherwise. 

I feel like it would be similar to abortion.  Many will point out that it isn't technically banned nationwide, and that's true.  It is however up to the states to ban it and many have or soon will.  If marriage equality is left up to states, I'd have to think several would be happy to ban it.  

The Republicans should have the ball in their court (no pun intended) in the very near future.  The Court isn't swaying any time soon, and it would defy all logic for them not to gain back the House.  

The thing they need to be careful of is just how far they can go on issues that a majority of Americans disagree with them on before it has an impact on their electoral fortunes.  Their elected officials are still dealing with the internal conflict between MAGA candidates and more moderate, traditional conservatives.  They don't have much to fear in traditional red states, but other places like the states Biden won in close races will be a problem is they press their advantage too hard.  That's kind of what they are good at, though.  
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2022, 09:12 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I live in Orange County Ca after moving out of Los Angeles after almost twenty years because it's become an unlivable shithole.  I am surprised to hear that, I thought Cincy was a fairly liberal city.

The city itself is fairly liberal, however, massive Republican gerrymandering has split the city/county so that 2 Republicans represent the city of Cincinnati instead of 1 Democrat. For the new districts they got even greedier, the city and Hamilton County have been divided into 3 separate Republican majority districts. The state Supreme Court ruled for the 2nd time today that those maps are unconstitutional but we are stuck with them until 2024 now

Reply/Quote
I just want to say that Dave Contraception was a great shortstop for the Reds.

Really, people are complaining about contraception, as in condoms or birth control pills. This is the problem I had with religion growing up. What, people aren't suppose to have sex, even married people. That is nonsense. What, Life begins the moment you get your rocks off. That would mean anybody who has ever masturbated or had a wet dream is guilty of abortion. It is too insane to buy into no condoms or birth control pills just because some religions have weird sex hang-ups. Freedom Of Religion should also mean Freedom From Religion. In the USA, we should have the Freedom to NOT go along with The Pope, or any Religion. Freedom of Religion should also mean Freedom from Religion. We shouldn't have to ask The Church Lady from the old Saturday Night Lives if we can use a condom or birth control. If husbands and wives are outlawed from having Sex, then Religion has gone too far in The USA. 20 % of Americans don't even belong to a Religion. The Religious Right should not be making Sex Laws on condoms and birth control pills. If the Pope has a problem with contraception, that is his sexual hang-up, not mine. All religions have this sexual hang-up about virgins also. The virgin Mary. Muslims think they will get virgin slaves for eternity in Heaven. They just can't deal with Sex, that's it in a nutshell. Don't enforce their religious dogma and hang-ups on Americans who think it is total Bull. We are suppose to have Freedom in the USA. Banning condoms and birth control pills would be making laws on husbands and wives in their own bedrooms, and Americans wouldn't have any Freedoms left. This isn't The Vatican, it's The USA.

I could now talk about The TROGEN horse, but that's another story.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
187 House Republicans voted against access to contraception

Here is the straight forward bill. all 14 pages

https://rules.house.gov/sites/democrats.rules.house.gov/files/BILLS-117HR8373IH.pdf

Reply/Quote
i dont get it. what's wrong with letting the states decide how to handle these things, just like the supreme court said with abortion? that way, if people don't like what there state says, the can vote in new folks. isn't that how it's supposed to work in a free country?
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2022, 01:39 PM)Tiger Blood Wrote: i dont get it. what's wrong with letting the states decide how to handle these things, just like the supreme court said with abortion? that way, if people don't like what there state says, the can vote in new folks. isn't that how it's supposed to work in a free country?

Medical care, including abortion, should not be reliant on which state you live in.  States should not get to legislate your access to FDA-approved medications, devices, treatments, or procedures. No one should have to worry if their medication is legal in another state as they travel

Reply/Quote
(07-21-2022, 01:39 PM)Tiger Blood Wrote: i dont get it. what's wrong with letting the states decide how to handle these things, just like the supreme court said with abortion? that way, if people don't like what there state says, the can vote in new folks. isn't that how it's supposed to work in a free country?

Why stop there?

Maybe it should be up to the county. Or even the city. Or - and this is going to be OUTRAGEOUS - the ***** person.
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2022, 03:40 PM)pally Wrote: Medical care, including abortion, should not be reliant on which state you live in.  States should not get to legislate your access to FDA-approved medications, devices, treatments, or procedures. No one should have to worry if their medication is legal in another state as they travel

if the people in a state don't like what there reps are doing, they can choose new ones. that's how it's supposed to work like the supreme court said about abortion. 
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2022, 03:54 PM)Tiger Blood Wrote: if the people in a state don't like what there reps are doing, they can choose new ones. that's how it's supposed to work like the supreme court said about abortion. 

People's access to medical care is a fundamental right and should not rely on the individual states deciding what is legal or not. 

I would love to vote out my state representatives, however, my street has been gerrymandered into a majority republican district by a super majority republican redistricting commission.   Legislative maps, which were rejected 4 times by the state supreme court as being unconstitutiona are being forced on the state by 3 republican federal judges. So no I do not want to leave my access to medication and medical devices up to my state government.

Reply/Quote
(07-21-2022, 04:22 PM)pally Wrote: People's access to medical care is a fundamental right and should not rely on the individual states deciding what is legal or not. 

I would love to vote out my state representatives, however, my street has been gerrymandered into a majority republican district by a super majority republican redistricting commission.   Legislative maps, which were rejected 4 times by the state supreme court as being unconstitutiona are being forced on the state by 3 republican federal judges. So no I do not want to leave my access to medication and medical devices up to my state government.

things like abortion and contraceptin aren't health care. those are things people just decide they want to do. expect an emergency abortion to save a life. the states should decide if they want to allow it or not. no reason for federal govt to get involved.
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2022, 05:56 PM)Tiger Blood Wrote: things like abortion and contraceptin aren't health care. those are things people just decide they want to do. expect an emergency abortion to save a life. the states should decide if they want to allow it or not. no reason for federal govt to get involved.

See, this is where the pro-life side really goes off the rails IMO.  I can fully understand being opposed to abortion.  No matter how some people try and sanitize it, you are literally killing a developing human being.  But when you start lumping in contraception with this argument you lose me completely.  Being against contraception and abortion is like being against firefighters and arsonists.
Reply/Quote