Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dems win VA and NJ Gubernatorial Races
Phil Murphy will be the new governor of New Jersey, following 8 years of Chris Christie. Ralph Northam will lead the executive branch in Virginia.

Trump immediately came out and blasted the Republican nominee in VA for not "embracing him" and then bragged about the 4 red seats Republicans kept (albeit at smaller margins) in the special elections months ago.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Funniest thing about Trump's tweet was that Ed ran on Trumpism. But I am still riding high and following results. Dems are flipping seats all over, and have elected our first trans woman to the House of Delegates.
Saw stats showing exits had racial breakdown nearly identical to last year. Our state elections usually see a much whiter electorate, which benefits Republican candidates. So this may have played a decent role in things.
Good. That’s a victory in the fight against Billy-Bobs across the state running kids with darker complexions down in their 4x4s.
Unfortunately, the Republican incumbent won in the HoD race in my district. I maintain that the candidate I supported in the caucus would have won, but still. Looking likely the HoD will be at least an even split, if not a Democrat majority. First trans women, first Latina women, first Asian-American woman for our state legislature all elected tonight.
5th president in a row to have his party lose gubernatorial races in VA and NJ in his first year in office.
Whether Dems take the HoD or not, this is the biggest pick up for Dems in the HoD since 1899.
(11-07-2017, 11:19 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Funniest thing about Trump's tweet was that Ed ran on Trumpism. But I am still riding high and following results. Dems are flipping seats all over, and have elected our first trans woman to the House of Delegates.

(11-08-2017, 12:24 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Unfortunately, the Republican incumbent won in the HoD race in my district. I maintain that the candidate I supported in the caucus would have won, but still. Looking likely the HoD will be at least an even split, if not a Democrat majority. First trans women, first Latina women, first Asian-American woman for our state legislature all elected tonight.

My memory might be faulty, but I thought you weren't a member, or fan, of either party?  These posts would lead one to think otherwise.  
(11-07-2017, 11:19 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Funniest thing about Trump's tweet was that Ed ran on Trumpism. But I am still riding high and following results. Dems are flipping seats all over, and have elected our first trans woman to the House of Delegates.

The response outside of the state has been "Well Virginia is a blue state", which is just false. 

Or at least, until last night, was false. The Republicans held a 66 to 34 advantage in the House of Delegates which has now gone to a 51-49 advantage with 3-4 races within the recount threshold.

They were absolutely trounced in a state where Republicans have long held the advantage in local politics. So many Republican incumbents defeated. 

(11-08-2017, 10:26 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: My memory might be faulty, but I thought you weren't a member, or fan, of either party?  These posts would lead one to think otherwise.  

Not a member, no party membership in Virginia. I don't deny I am a liberal, though, and for the most part the Democractic candidates represent my values more than the Republican candidates. I dislike the party structure we have here and how the party acts as an elitist club (I could tell stories about this from this most recent election cycle, but that would get me a bit more fired up than I need to be this morning) but if you're going to cause change, you have to work with what you're given.
(11-08-2017, 10:38 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: The response outside of the state has been "Well Virginia is a blue state", which is just false. 

Or at least, until last night, was false. The Republicans held a 66 to 34 advantage in the House of Delegates which has now gone to a 51-49 advantage with 3-4 races within the recount threshold.

They were absolutely trounced in a state where Republicans have long held the advantage in local politics. So many Republican incumbents defeated. 

Virginia is still a very purple state, this was a reaction to Trump, plain and simple. Our turnout, on average across the state, was 13% higher than 2013, which is the most recent comparable year. Interesting note, Charlottesville saw a bump of 31% from 2013. As one Richmond NPR reporter put it, that's what happens when Nazis come to town.
(11-08-2017, 10:47 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Virginia is still a very purple state, this was a reaction to Trump, plain and simple. Our turnout, on average across the state, was 13% higher than 2013, which is the most recent comparable year. Interesting note, Charlottesville saw a bump of 31% from 2013. As one Richmond NPR reporter put it, that's what happens when Nazis come to town.

Corey Stewart should be scared, instead that moron is saying it was a rejection of moderate Republicans not Trump. Ever since I watched 9500 Liberty (which you should watch if you haven't yet), I've hated this scumbag. 

(11-08-2017, 10:52 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Corey Stewart should be scared, instead that moron is saying it was a rejection of moderate Republicans not Trump. Ever since I watched 9500 Liberty (which you should watch if you haven't yet), I've hated this scumbag. 

I don't need to watch anything to hate that guy, I've met the carpetbagging bigot. LOL
More misleading bullshit by democrats:

“This was a profound election result. This was the rejection of Donald Trump personally, and this was the rejection of Donald Trump’s policies. This was a full-fledged and total rejection of Donald Trump.” -Chuck Schumer

Riiiiight.  Not quite Chucky, Virginia went to the democrat for the same reason it went to the Hildebeest ...due to the heavy influx of new democrat voters.

New California: Mass Immigration Turning Virginia Blue.
“According to DHS, of those refugees issued admissions slips into the United States, 75 percent came from four countries — Iraq, Burma, Somalia and Bhutan — while another 15 percent came from Iran, Sudan, Ethiopia, Eritrea and the Dominican Republic.”

The Washington Post reported in 2011: “Soaring number of Hispanics and Asians pushed Virginia’s population over 8 million in the past decade.
 http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/02/03/AR2011020304604.html

Then we have this piece of work Gov Terry McAuliffe signing an exec order allowing 200,000 felons to vote.
In Virginia, Ex-Felons Find Empowerment in the Voting Booth.
(11-08-2017, 10:43 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Not a member, no party membership in Virginia. I don't deny I am a liberal, though, and for the most part the Democractic candidates represent my values more than the Republican candidates. I dislike the party structure we have here and how the party acts as an elitist club (I could tell stories about this from this most recent election cycle, but that would get me a bit more fired up than I need to be this morning) but if you're going to cause change, you have to work with what you're given.

I don’t know. Seems you’ve kind of gone all in on the Dems now. Nothing wrong with it. It’s just been a dramatic change the last couple of years from libertarian.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(11-08-2017, 10:47 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Virginia is still a very purple state, this was a reaction to Trump, plain and simple. Our turnout, on average across the state, was 13% higher than 2013, which is the most recent comparable year. Interesting note, Charlottesville saw a bump of 31% from 2013. As one Richmond NPR reporter put it, that's what happens when Nazis come to town.

Uh no, it isn't what happens when "Nazis" come to town. Don't you wish.

Its what happens when during the last decade Virginia has opened its borders to millions of new democrat voters, and allowing felons to vote.
See post#14 for the details.
(11-08-2017, 10:48 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I don’t know. Seems you’ve kind of gone all in on the Dems now. Nothing wrong with it. It’s just been a dramatic change the last couple of years from libertarian.

I had some life experiences, as well as gained some knowledge, that led me to a more liberal position. This results in me often siding with Democrats. That being said, I have a lot of problems with the typical Democratic positions. I am not a neoliberal of the current Democratic Party, I am much more of a social liberal of the days of FDR. I know what good government can be, and I may be a bit idealistic in my views, but I want to try to make that happen. The party is a tool, a means to an end. But I am not afraid to vote elsewhere, as I did a year ago, today.
(11-08-2017, 11:50 PM)Vlad Wrote: Uh no, it isn't what happens when "Nazis" come to town. Don't you wish.

Its what happens when during the last decade Virginia has opened its borders to millions of new democrat voters, and allowing felons to vote.
See post#14 for the details.

Did you miss the part about how Charlottesville's turnout specifically was what was being talked about? Yeah, that was the result of the alt-right doing what they did.
(11-08-2017, 10:40 PM)Vlad Wrote: More misleading bullshit by democrats:

“This was a profound election result. This was the rejection of Donald Trump personally, and this was the rejection of Donald Trump’s policies. This was a full-fledged and total rejection of Donald Trump.” -Chuck Schumer

Riiiiight.  Not quite Chucky, Virginia went to the democrat for the same reason it went to the Hildebeest ...due to the heavy influx of new democrat voters.

“According to DHS, of those refugees issued admissions slips into the United States, 75 percent came from four countries — Iraq, Burma, Somalia and Bhutan — while another 15 percent came from Iran, Sudan, Ethiopia, Eritrea and the Dominican Republic.”

The Washington Post reported in 2011: “Soaring number of Hispanics and Asians pushed Virginia’s population over 8 million in the past decade.
 http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/02/03/AR2011020304604.html

Then we have this piece of work Gov Terry McAuliffe signing an exec order allowing 200,000 felons to vote.

So, with your race based fear mongering efforts, did you happen to look into how many of those immigrants can actually vote, or didn't vote in the election? I happen to know the race breakdown from 2016 and yesterday. The race angle is nothing more than an attempt at denying Virginia rejected Trumpism.

As for the last link, so? Virginia is in the minority to not reinfranchise felons and it should be done. Most states already restore the rights of felons upon their release and I will be happy when it I see codified that Virginia does the same.

Edit: thinking more about the racist bullshit, so what? If they are citizens voting, what does it matter? They are still voicing their opinions as Americans, because if they are eligible to vote then they are Americans. Why does there have to be an effort to discount the votes of people of color? The more I thought about your posts, the more disgusted I was with your implications.
(11-08-2017, 10:40 PM)Vlad Wrote: More misleading bullshit by democrats:

Vlad, you need to save this info for 2018. Tell your friends that the Republican party is 100% behind Trump and that Democrats are letting Hispanics and Asian immigrants and felons vote in their states. Or just shorten that to Hispanic/Asian immigrant felons. See if you can find something about women iand transgenders mmigrating to VA and CA as well. Maybe there is a link on Breitbart.

Trump will close the borders and take our country back. Make that the message. Encourage every Republican politician to embrace it. It's about law and order, not race. Either we have a country or "they" have it.