Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dennard
Wow, Dennard had a GREAT season as the slot corner. Saw this in a tweet. We definitely need to re-sign him.

Of the slot corners that played 50%+ of their snaps inside, Darqueze Dennard ranks FIRST in catches allowed (14), yards (134), passer rating (68.4), yards per snap (0.57), snaps per target (9.0) and snaps per reception (16.8).

That's every category PFF keeps data on. Every one.
Reply/Quote
Definitely would like to re-sign him.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
I noticed an improvement in the D overall when he came back, but wasn't expecting this sort of statistical validation.  On some of the plays where he stood out I remarked to myself that he looked/played like a really good big nickel out there.  He's definitely on the priority FA list.
Reply/Quote
Too often dbs are evaluated by the public purely on their INTs. Dennard has proven over the years that he will make it difficult for the receiver to make the catch, and is solid tackler. I would love for him to be a career Bengal.
Reply/Quote
I believe we quietly have a really good set of CBs on this team, especially if Phillips continues his ascent.  It would be nice to keep them intact, at least the top four (including Phillips).  It would also be nice if they could stay on the field with more regularity.

It would also be nice if three of them would utilize the Juggs machine this off-season.
Reply/Quote
I was skeptical earlier in the season that he might ball out and get a DreK kind of deal.

That being said he's played really well(as did DreK in his contract year)so you have to pay him.

I must say that I like Dennard and his style of play. Like many have said he looks more like a Safety.

I'd like to see them get a better DBs coach because as a whole I don't feel like they are playing to their potential.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2020, 01:30 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: I noticed an improvement in the D overall when he came back, but wasn't expecting this sort of statistical validation.  On some of the plays where he stood out I remarked to myself that he looked/played like a really good big nickel out there.  He's definitely on the priority FA list.

It could be chicken or egg here.

The D line has been producing much more pressure than earlier in the season.

The departing of Brown and improved LB play helped as well.

Who knows which group has been the catalyst but there definitely has been an improvement.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2020, 03:10 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: The D line has been producing much more pressure than earlier in the season.

Who knows which group has been the catalyst but there definitely has been an improvement.

THANK YOU!  Solid pass defense comes from BOTH the defensive line AND the secondary.  It's not either/or.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2020, 12:29 PM)Fullrock Wrote: Wow, Dennard had a GREAT season as the slot corner. Saw this in a tweet. We definitely need to re-sign him.

Of the slot corners that played 50%+ of their snaps inside, Darqueze Dennard ranks FIRST in catches allowed (14), yards (134), passer rating (68.4), yards per snap (0.57), snaps per target (9.0) and snaps per reception (16.8).

He's also an excellent tackler in both the pass and run. Which is more than anyone can say for our LBers (any and all of them).

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2020, 09:05 PM)BengalChris Wrote: He's also an excellent tackler in both the pass and run. Which is more than anyone can say for our LBers (any and all of them).

Pratt has proven to be a very good tackler.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Dare I say pay Dennard let WJIII walk? He's played at a higher level more consistently then WJIII. I hope they re-sign him (and WJIII). I though he was a steal coming out, and he still flashes when healthy. Webb looked better playing on the outside in place of Dre (who I'd trade but wouldn't mind keeping), and Phillips arrived. So I'd pay Dennard and risk losing WJIII.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2020, 09:56 PM)jj22 Wrote: Dare I say pay Dennard let WJIII walk? He's played at a higher level more consistently then WJIII. I hope they re-sign him (and WJIII). I though he was a steal coming out, and he still flashes when healthy. Webb looked better playing on the outside in place of Dre (who I'd trade but wouldn't mind keeping), and Phillips arrived. So I'd pay Dennard and risk losing WJIII.

What, Webb please no. Nothing personal but I thought I would get nervous every time I seen a deep pass and feared it would be to Dre side. Now with hom o.t and I see the QB ready to step into a deep throw I know it will be to Webb side and completed. I would like to see WJ3 at RCB, Dennard at LCB and Phillips in the slot or compete with a newcomer. 
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2020, 11:37 PM)804 fan Wrote: What, Webb please no. Nothing personal but I thought I would get nervous every time I seen a deep pass and feared it would be to Dre side. Now with hom o.t and I see the QB ready to step into a deep throw I know it will be to Webb side and completed. I would like to see WJ3 at RCB, Dennard at LCB and Phillips in the slot or compete with a newcomer. 

Why move Dennard outta the slot when he was playing so well from there this season?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2020, 11:40 PM)jason Wrote: Why move Dennard outta the slot when he was playing so well from there this season?

Agree completely, use William Jackson III and Phillips as the outside guys, Dennard in the slot.

Might be able to get a pick from a Dre K trade and just need to dump Webb.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2020, 09:56 PM)jj22 Wrote: Dare I say pay Dennard let WJIII walk? He's played at a higher level more consistently then WJIII. I hope they re-sign him (and WJIII). I though he was a steal coming out, and he still flashes when healthy. Webb looked better playing on the outside in place of Dre (who I'd trade but wouldn't mind keeping), and Phillips arrived. So I'd pay Dennard and risk losing WJIII.

WhoDey2 I'd completely re-vamp the CB room. I'd try to trade Dre K and WJIII for whatever picks I could get by reminding anybody interested that they both were 1st round picks (that should fetch us 5th-7th rounders). I'd tell Webb to be mindful of the door. Don't let it hit you...

I'd look to play Dennard at one corner, Phillips at the other and the CFL interceptions leader in the slot as a starting point.

I'd read the waiver wire everyday. I'd see what I could get in FA. I'd think about drafting a corner (the best CB available in rounds 5-7).
I'd then tell our DB's coach straight out: "this unit will be an asset this coming year".
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
Personally I'm not ready to give up on WJ3 yet. With him having shoulder surgery right after the season, he was obviously playing with one arm for who knows how long. The guy has shown he can be really good. He's too young to give up on.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2020, 12:54 PM)Fullrock Wrote: Personally I'm not ready to give up on WJ3 yet. With him having shoulder surgery right after the season, he was obviously playing with one arm for who knows how long. The guy has shown he can be really good. He's too young to give up on.

True. And the same holds true for Webb, who played most of the season with a broken hand.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2020, 12:54 PM)Fullrock Wrote: Personally I'm not ready to give up on WJ3 yet. With him having shoulder surgery right after the season, he was obviously playing with one arm for who knows how long. The guy has shown he can be really good. He's too young to give up on.

Agreed. WJ3 could still be a good player for us. He’s relatively young, and the skill is there.

(01-03-2020, 12:57 PM)Sled21 Wrote: True. And the same holds true for Webb, who played most of the season with a broken hand.

Disagree. Webb is 29 (he’ll be 30 in May) years old. We know what he is at this point.

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2020, 01:03 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Agreed. WJ3 could still be a good player for us. He’s relatively young, and the skill is there.

Disagree. Webb is 29 (he’ll be 30 in May) years old. We know what he is at this point.

How does his age negate the fact he played with a broken hand?
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2020, 12:29 PM)Fullrock Wrote: Wow, Dennard had a GREAT season as the slot corner. Saw this in a tweet. We definitely need to re-sign him.

Sign this man, holy shit. Mellow
Reply/Quote