Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Off Season thus far......
(03-19-2019, 01:54 AM)Benton Wrote: After I saw the numbers, the Hart signing didn't look so bad. It looked even better after I read his career penalties outside of last season were only an average of 3 per season. If the coaches can work that out and get a few good seasons out of him, then no issue.

I understand the frustration, and I've always criticized our seeming lack of interest in a championship. But outside of the freak that is NE, we're as poised as any team. The right mentality, a draft pick or FA that steps up, staying healthy. Heck, last season four of the losses were decided by a touchdown or less. Being just a little more competitive in those four games, we'd have been in the playoffs. And without MArvin, maybe those playoff games will be a little different.

I dunno. After MArvin was let go, I thought we'd bring in a coach and start looking at a 2-3 year rebuild. But this offseason has me thinking they may be looking at something sooner. 

We signed Webb and Miller, who aren't really upgrades, just guys to keep it together. We dumped a guy we could've at least dangled in a trade if we were trying to completely rebuild. We brought back Eifert which doesn't seem to indicate we're wiping the slate clean at tE.

I'm starting to think Zac may think he can win sooner rather than later.
I really hope you are right, its been far to long since we competed
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2019, 11:26 AM)jj22 Wrote: I'm not impressed with the offseason at all. We have not gotten any better.

Miller (who Bills fans were as happy with us taking as we were when they signed Bodine), has been a big part of the worst line in the league the past 3 years.

Hart. We know isn't an upgrade but has caused us to possibly pass on a OT in the first as they think the line is set.

Brown is a 2 down back, and doesn't solve any of our lb issues.

The issue with this offseason is they don't know if they are rebuilding but they aren't going for it all either. So what are they doing besides giving multimillion dollars to players who isn't worth vet minimum and trying to sell us on why they felt the need to?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2019, 11:26 AM)jj22 Wrote: I'm not impressed with the offseason at all. We have not gotten any better.

Miller (who Bills fans were as happy with us taking as we were when they signed Bodine), has been a big part of the worst line in the league the past 3 years.

Hart. We know isn't an upgrade but has caused us to possibly pass on a OT in the first as they think the line is set.

Brown is a 2 down back, and doesn't solve any of our lb issues.

The issue with this offseason is they don't know if they are rebuilding but they aren't going for it all either. So what are they doing besides giving multimillion dollars to players who isn't worth vet minimum and trying to sell us on why they felt the need to?

I totally agree. Moves were made but we didn't get better. Just spending more for the same group of players that didnt succeed in the past. If we go down I would rather do it trying something different. I guess i just want some hope of something different.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2019, 10:08 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I was excited when we hired a new coach.  Pretty much down hill since then.

Not impressed at all by the DC and assistant coaches.

Bot impressed at all with free agent signings. Webb and Hart are not even mid-level.  They are bottom of the barrel. Miller is just meh.  Brown is not bad.  I did not want Eifert back because he just keeps us from looking for another top TE.  I was expecting a hell of a lot more.

But it is not over yet.  Last year we started 5-3 with wins over two division champions.  Our roster was not as bad as some here claimed.  I still think we can have a decent year if we stay healthy.

This is where I'm at. The only difference is I was indifferent on Eifert coming back. 

Loved the Taylor hire. The rest of the staff is as weak as I've ever seen on paper, and I'm not exaggerating. We're having a status quo Bengals free agency. Bargain bin shopping. I liked cutting Burfict, but we didn't do so until free agency was picked thin. So it seems like we're probably going to roll that over into Mike's money vault.

I'm looking forward to the draft, but so are the fans of 31 other teams. Without a home-run draft and some hidden gems on this staff, I'm not as optimistic about 2019 as I'd like to be. This team didn't have a ton of holes, so it's depressing to see another lazy/cheap approach to free agency.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2019, 09:58 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: This is where I'm at. The only difference is I was indifferent on Eifert coming back. 

Loved the Taylor hire. The rest of the staff is as weak as I've ever seen on paper, and I'm not exaggerating. We're having a status quo Bengals free agency. Bargain bin shopping. I liked cutting Burfict, but we didn't do so until free agency was picked thin. So it seems like we're probably going to roll that over into Mike's money vault.

I'm looking forward to the draft, but so are the fans of 31 other teams. Without a home-run draft and some hidden gems on this staff, I'm not as optimistic about 2019 as I'd like to be. This team didn't have a ton of holes, so it's depressing to see another lazy/cheap approach to free agency.

That's where I'm at too. The sad thing is it could have been a great off season. I just dont see a clear vision for roster construction.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2019, 12:51 AM)JWW1971 Wrote: I agree with this but we were never going to compete against the best this season or really even next. Zac was brought in and the whole thing needs rebuilt.
I think we are honestly looking at 2 years to get to the playoffs again and 3 or 4 before we can think about really competing, although I hope i'm wrong

Why 2 years?

What does this team need that can't be gotten this off season?

Just consider those things. Make a list of what is needed and I'm willing to bet whatever is on that list can be acquired this off season with the cap space we have.

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2019, 09:58 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: This is where I'm at. The only difference is I was indifferent on Eifert coming back. 

Pretty much my thoughts as well. I think the one year Eifert deal is a good move due to the potential reward even though I seriously doubt that he can stay healthy.

(03-19-2019, 11:34 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: That's where I'm at too. The sad thing is it could have been a great off season. I just dont see a clear vision for roster construction.

I wanted to see them pick a direction and boldly pursue it, but so far that has not happened. So is this a half-assed rebuild or a half-assed attempt to be competitive now?
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2019, 08:59 AM)BengalChris Wrote: Why 2 years?

Just consider those things. Make a list of what is needed and I'm willing to bet whatever is on that list can be acquired this off season with the cap space we have.

The NFL is the ultimate Worst to First league. Make a couple impact signings and hit on a couple draft picks and you can drastically change.

That said, we've only slightly upgraded overall.

Banking on health is risky as there will be some players that get hurt. Maybe some impact players too.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2019, 10:43 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The NFL is the ultimate Worst to First league. Make a couple impact signings and hit on a couple draft picks and you can drastically change.

That said, we've only slightly upgraded overall.

Banking on health is risky as there will be some players that get hurt. Maybe some impact players too.

I agree, except I'm not exactly sure how we have slightly upgraded so far.

It doesn't take two years to rebuild. Now for Mike Brown rebuilding is eternal and a career occupying task.

Reply/Quote
(03-20-2019, 10:19 AM)HuDey Wrote: Pretty much my thoughts as well. I think the one year Eifert deal is a good move due to the potential reward even though I seriously doubt that he can stay healthy.

The Eifert deal is pretty good. If he's injured again, he only makes a $1 million base salary. 

He needs to stay healthy and productive to bring it up to $4 million, which would be a bargain for a healthy Eifert.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
The Eifert deal is okay.

I guess my Free Agency expectations were tempered a bit by the understanding that this was not a deep free agency class in our need areas (OT and LB). Miller was the second best Guard out there and we got him, and really the FA linebackers class was similar in that it is either scrubs or $15 million a year plus players.

That said, I think I would have ponied up the big bucks for Mosley as he would have been transformative.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2019, 08:59 AM)BengalChris Wrote: Why 2 years?

I said 2 years, not because of who we can or can't sign through FA or in the draft but because we have a totally new coaching staff (except Special Teams)
I believe we have and can get the talent through the draft but to have a brand new Offence and Defense scheme and expect the team to challenge the best out there is a big reach, especially in the first year.
I hope i'm wrong and Zac has the same impact as McVay did in LA, I do think we can push for the playoffs this season but i really think it will be next season we can genuinely compete.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2019, 11:11 AM)BengalChris Wrote: I agree, except I'm not exactly sure how we have slightly upgraded so far.

It doesn't take two years to rebuild. Now for Mike Brown rebuilding is eternal and a career occupying task.

We slightly upgraded at Guard. Status quo at other spots.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2019, 03:44 PM)Joelist Wrote: The Eifert deal is okay.

I guess my Free Agency expectations were tempered a bit by the understanding that this was not a deep free agency class in our need areas (OT and LB). Miller was the second best Guard out there and we got him, and really the FA linebackers class was similar in that it is either scrubs or $15 million a year plus players.

That said, I think I would have ponied up the big bucks for Mosley as he would have been transformative.

Yes - It was a really bad year for offensive line.

There were a decent bit of upgrades at LB to be had.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2019, 10:45 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We slightly upgraded at Guard. Status quo at other spots.

Well, we are worse in the slot and without Dennard we don't have anyone at corner who is capable outside should one of the starters goes down. At least with Dennard he could slide outside. Now, I'm not beating the drum to sign Dennard for 10M either. I think that's too much.

A 6 win team that goes with status quo is not a team looking to win. All teams are looking to improve from the draft, so unless we simply out draft everyone and our scouts are sooooo much better than everyone elses, the draft isn't going to turn this team into a SB contender. And if the Bengals aren't trying to be a SB contender, then the Bengals are merely a fake sports franchise pretending to be something they aren't.

Reply/Quote
(03-22-2019, 02:38 AM)BengalChris Wrote: Well, we are worse in the slot and without Dennard we don't have anyone at corner who is capable outside should one of the starters goes down. At least with Dennard he could slide outside. Now, I'm not beating the drum to sign Dennard for 10M either. I think that's too much.

A 6 win team that goes with status quo is not a team looking to win. All teams are looking to improve from the draft, so unless we simply out draft everyone and our scouts are sooooo much better than everyone elses, the draft isn't going to turn this team into a SB contender. And if the Bengals aren't trying to be a SB contender, then the Bengals are merely a fake sports franchise pretending to be something they aren't.

You do know we resigned Dennard right?
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2019, 08:08 AM)Au165 Wrote: You do know we resigned Dennard right?

Obvious not at that time.

Reply/Quote