Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dennard Wanted 10 million
(03-17-2019, 02:00 PM)whodey4life84 Wrote: I'm sure it's too much dead money but wish they would cut Dre, and move Dennard to the outside and get a new slot guy.
This is my point as well
Reply/Quote
I still think he’s better than drama k. Dennard will be missed.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
That's what happens when you overpay a mediocre-to-poor CB like Kirkpatrick. Then other CBs look and say "I am better than him, I need at least that much money too."

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Former 1st round pick.
Starter.

Wait. Not a starter.

Sorry, Not $10 Mil.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2019, 12:29 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Time for another CB with the #11 pick.

I could see them taking Greedy Williams
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2019, 07:11 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Exactly, and that is why I feel like they will take a CB in the top 2 picks, if they don't over pay Dennard to hang around.

I just think it’s gonna be tough to address all our needs through the draft were gonna have to kill the first 3 rounds. Assuming if White isn’t there at 11 maybe they’ll go Bush from Michigan which I’m fine with, he’s a three down backer who can cover. Then go CB in round 2? My problem Is I want a good rookie OT to compete with Hart not some stiff at the bottom of the draft who has no chance to win the job. Maybe we can find one in round 3 but it will be hard to do. Then we still have needs at TE, pass rusher and DT.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2019, 07:58 PM)lone bengal Wrote: I just think it’s gonna be tough to address all our needs through the draft were gonna have to kill the first 3 rounds. Assuming if White isn’t there at 11 maybe they’ll go Bush from Michigan which I’m fine with, he’s a three down backer who can cover. Then go CB in round 2? My problem Is I want a good rookie OT to compete with Hart not some stiff at the bottom of the draft who has no chance to win the job. Maybe we can find one in round 3 but it will be hard to do. Then we still have needs at TE, pass rusher and DT.

I think that you seem to be forgetting that the Bengals Management puts a premium on certain positions, like OT, CB, and WR, when it comes to draft priority.  If I know the Bengals like I think I know the Bengals, they're drafting OT, CB, and maybe LB as an afterthought..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Honestly, if Dennard was a 5th Round pick...his production wouldn't warrant $8+ million a year.

People see he was a 1st Round pick and want to overpay on potential.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2019, 07:34 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: That's what happens when you overpay a mediocre-to-poor CB like Kirkpatrick. Then other CBs look and say "I am better than him, I need at least that much money too."

Kirkpatrick is tha 13th highest paid CB in the league.  He is a good CB.  He is not overpaid very much at all.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2019, 08:11 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I think that you seem to be forgetting that the Bengals Management puts a premium on certain positions, like OT, CB, and WR, when it comes to draft priority.  If I know the Bengals like I think I know the Bengals, they're drafting OT, CB, and maybe LB as an afterthought..

Agreed they love first round corners, Hall, Joseph, Kirkpatrick, Jackson III, and Dennard are Proof. OT and WR too. Just think it will be hard for them to neglect LB again after last season and with them never being able to draft a decent LB. They didnt use free agency to address linebacker and if there relying on Burfict there crazy.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2019, 03:08 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Dennard is underrated and I think he can argue he deserves the money. Would rather have him at Ten then either of the bum brothers Brown and Hart.

When healthy, Brown is a far better player than Dennard. The latter has been a total bust.

Reply/Quote
Bring back Leon Hall.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I hear a lot of people saying cut Dre and sign Dennard. You don't get better by cutting a bad CB and replacing him with another bad CB that specializing in the slot.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
The #1 CB in DD's draft class is available.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2019, 07:02 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I think we as fans fail to realize the cap has escalated a ton over last 3 or 4 years. A 10 million a year is like a 7 million a year signing a few years ago.

There are guys getting paid huge contracts all over the league due to rise in the cap and massive money available for every team.

Fair point. I've been aware of the cap going up, but it's still hard to wrap your head around $10 million for Dennard. 

Even if you adjust and say it's the equivalent of a $7 million a year deal a few years ago, that still seems high for a very average-at-best performer.

That might explain why $7 million for Hart sounds so bad though. Maybe that would've been a $3-4 million deal a few years ago.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2019, 08:55 PM)Okeana Wrote: I hear a lot of people saying cut Dre and sign Dennard.  You don't get better by cutting a bad CB and replacing him with another bad CB that specializing in the slot.

Not to mention we'd be exchanging one mediocre $10 million CB for another mediocre $10 million CB while adding dead money.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2019, 08:11 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I think that you seem to be forgetting that the Bengals Management puts a premium on certain positions, like OT, CB, and WR, when it comes to draft priority.  If I know the Bengals like I think I know the Bengals, they're drafting OT, CB, and maybe LB as an afterthought..

This is not the year to go corner in round 1, particularly with the 11th pick.  It's one of the first years in a long time where there's no lock for a top 10 pick at the position, which is fairly unheard of.  I think taking Baker or Williams before the mid 20's is flat-out stupid and a reach.  Second round?  I could get on board with that.  There are a few players there that warrant attention.  I could also see trading back if somebody wanted the 11th if you could get something good out of it.

This team is in a shitty position personnel-wise because they've blown so many first round picks in the last 5 years.  The only one showing real value since 2014 is Jackson.  Price gets a Mulligan for injuries and being a rookie, but they've sucked ass at getting value out of the first round for a while now.  They need a home run this time.  They can't screw around reaching for a lesser player if a guy like Hockenson or White is sitting there.They don't do enough in outside free agency to recover from being awful at picking in the first for 5 out of 6 drafts. 
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2019, 09:13 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Not to mention we'd be exchanging one mediocre $10 million CB for another mediocre $10 million CB while adding dead money.

Yeah, I'm not too worried about losing Dennard.  Dre gets a lot of flack, and Dennard is more of an unknown (sort of), so people want to replace Dre with DD.  I'm good with not doing that.  There's nothing DD has done since he got here that warrants a starting job or a huge contract.  Save that money for WJ3 down the line.  
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2019, 08:24 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Kirkpatrick is tha 13th highest paid CB in the league.  He is a good CB.  He is not overpaid very much at all.

Garbage. He’s good at dropping interceptions n being on Le’Veon Beljs highlight reel and missing tackles that’s about all. Oh yeah and celebrating when the ball os overthrown like he mAde a great play.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2019, 09:17 PM)samhain Wrote: Yeah, I'm not too worried about losing Dennard.  Dre gets a lot of flack, and Dennard is more of an unknown (sort of), so people want to replace Dre with DD.  I'm good with not doing that.  There's nothing DD has done since he got here that warrants a starting job or a huge contract.  Save that money for WJ3 down the line.  

For all the flack Dre gets, he's probably better than Dennard. 

Btw, I also like bfine's idea of bringing back Leon. Bring him back for depth/leadership on a 1 year deal.

I was surprised to see that he actually started some games in Oakland last year.
Reply/Quote