Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dennard in 2016
What are your expectations for Darqueze Dennard's play this year?  So far I've been very disappointed in his performance, but I realize he is coming off of a season ending injury and then an ankle issue that caused him to miss the preseason.

I think the coaches need to formally move Josh Shaw above him in the depth chart, but it looks like that isn't going to happen any time soon.  I also recall Leon Hall starting off slowly in the preseason in the past, but I can't help but worry that Dennard will never end up playing up to the level of play that we experienced with Hall.  Is anyone else concerned?
“I’m Pacman Jones n****, what the [expletive] I got on me?”
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2016, 03:25 PM)lostpoet2 Wrote: What are your expectations for Darqueze Dennard's play this year?  So far I've been very disappointed in his performance, but I realize he is coming off of a season ending injury and then an ankle issue that caused him to miss the preseason.

I think the coaches need to formally move Josh Shaw above him in the depth chart, but it looks like that isn't going to happen any time soon.  I also recall Leon Hall starting off slowly in the preseason in the past, but I can't help but worry that Dennard will never end up playing up to the level of play that we experienced with Hall.  Is anyone else concerned?

If Dennard keeps getting injured i will be concerned. You ask a very good question here cause you already realize
his injury which is the main reason for why he has been a disappointment so far this season. Shaw has been playing
lights out though and if this keeps up and Dennard continues to struggle it is an easy decision on who to start outside.

Still, i always loved the Dennard pick and i think that if he plays well he could be as good or better than Hall.

I see Shaw, WJ3 and Dennard as our future studs honestly. Just need to stay healthy for the most part.
Reply/Quote
Dennard actually looked good on the outside vs. Miami.  When he has been beaten this season, it has been on plays where he has had close coverage but just didn't make a play on the ball.  Those sorts of plays happen to even the best of corners, and Dennard was coming in with very little practice.  I'd bet by around mid-season we'll start to see the "real" Dennard.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2016, 04:10 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: If Dennard keeps getting injured i will be concerned. You ask a very good question here cause you already realize
his injury which is the main reason for why he has been a disappointment so far this season. Shaw has been playing
lights out though and if this keeps up and Dennard continues to struggle it is an easy decision on who to start outside.

Still, i always loved the Dennard pick and i think that if he plays well he could be as good or better than Hall.

I see Shaw, WJ3 and Dennard as our future studs honestly. Just need to stay healthy for the most part.

I used to own two SAABs and I joked that it guaranteed that at least one of them would be running.  I'm pretty sure the Bengals have a similar philosophy, not unwarranted, with cornerbacks.
“I’m Pacman Jones n****, what the [expletive] I got on me?”
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2016, 04:16 PM)lostpoet2 Wrote: I used to own two SAABs and I joked that it guaranteed that at least one of them would be running.  I'm pretty sure the Bengals have a similar philosophy, not unwarranted, with cornerbacks.

Good insurance lmao
Reply/Quote
He's going to be a superstar but people will have to be patience with him. The guy didn't play much in his rookie season and he got hurt last year. Give him some time.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2016, 05:18 PM)J24 Wrote: He's going to be a superstar but people will have to be patience with him. The guy didn't play much in his rookie season and he got hurt last year. Give him some time.

I really hope you're right.  Was a huge fan of his when he was a Spartan.  Most frustrating thing for me was that he was an ironman of sorts with MSU.  Didn't miss a game (as far as I can remember) and was never injured, at least nothing that kept him from missing any time or hindered his play.  I agree though, patience is what's needed with the guy.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2016, 05:43 PM)JumboTron Wrote: I really hope you're right.  Was a huge fan of his when he was a Spartan.  Most frustrating thing for me was that he was an ironman of sorts with MSU.  Didn't miss a game (as far as I can remember) and was never injured, at least nothing that kept him from missing any time or hindered his play.  I agree though, patience is what's needed with the guy.

That makes me feel better that he was healthy all the time in college.

Dennard actually reminded me of Revis at Michigan State more than Hall who the coaches always compared him to.

He could become a superstar, he has tons of talent. No Fly Zone baby.
Reply/Quote
I loved the pick of Dennard. I'm a buckeye, so I saw my fair share of him in college. I thought he's looked ok in limited action til this year. I've not been overly impressed by him this season. I'm sure he injury has something to do with it. Maybe it's just the fact that this is the first real action he's faced. I've noticed a lot of improvement in Dre from last year to this season. Maybe the same will happen for Dennard.... I REALLY like Josh Shaw though.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
It was a shame he went down when did last year. I think we win that Arizona game if he doesn't get hurt. He brings something different to the corner spot on this team. Hope he plays up to his draft status in the near future.
Reply/Quote
I think he's looked the worst I've seen him. I thought he was a playmaker before.I heard he was a playmaker at Michigan St. This year he hasn't done nothing. Somebody mentioned he could be a superstar.I lost my faith in that. But I have been wrong about margus hunt. I think will Jackson will be the superstar, hope he returns this year. Not peerman.
Reply/Quote
The jury is still out, as far as Dennard is concerned. It's hard to develop NFL skills, when you're sidelined by injuries..

The hardest transition for CBs, from the college game to the pros, is to play on the ball, rather than just facing the man. The only way that transition happens is in live action. No amount of film study, or even practice can duplicate the unpredictable of live action.

I still have high hopes for him. As someone else mentioned, he's looked decent on the outside this year.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I feel like we had this conversation 4 years ago with Kirkpatrick. We all see how that one ended (and I was a huge supporter of his).
Our father, who art in Hell
Unhallowed, be thy name
Cursed be thy sons and daughters
Of our nemesis who are to blame
Thy kingdom come, Nema
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2016, 06:57 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: I feel like we had this conversation 4 years ago with Kirkpatrick. We all see how that one ended (and I was a huge supporter of his).

Hmm, with Kirkpatrick being an athlete, and you being a supporter, that makes you an athletic supporter. (a huge one, in your own said opinion)

So, how does it feel to be a huge jock strap?  Hilarious

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2016, 06:57 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: I feel like we had this conversation 4 years ago with Kirkpatrick. We all see how that one ended (and I was a huge supporter of his).

Never liked Kirkpatrick as much as Dennard. Dre seemed to be more of a desperation pick and he was
not near as NFL ready as Dennard was at the time. There was only 1 CB that most analysts liked better
than Dennard and i think that was Gilbert for his return ability but i could be wrong on the name.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2016, 04:16 PM)lostpoet2 Wrote: I used to own two SAABs and I joked that it guaranteed that at least one of them would be running.  I'm pretty sure the Bengals have a similar philosophy, not unwarranted, with cornerbacks.

Why is it that most SAAB owners have two?  Hell....dude down the street from me has three...and that's down from four!

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-06-2016, 07:05 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Hmm, with Kirkpatrick being an athlete, and you being a supporter, that makes you an athletic supporter. (a huge one, in your own said opinion)

So, how does it feel to be a huge jock strap?  Hilarious

It stinks. GET IT!!!

**** you I'm tired lol
Unhallowed, be thy name
Thy kingdom come, Nema
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2016, 10:03 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Never liked Kirkpatrick as much as Dennard. Dre seemed to be more of a desperation pick and he was
not near as NFL ready as Dennard was at the time. There was only 1 CB that most analysts liked better
than Dennard and i think that was Gilbert for his return ability but i could be wrong on the name.

If I recall correctly, didn't Kirkpatrick not know how to back pedal all that well? Who uses a first round draft pick on a corner who can't back pedal?

But I have to admit, dude doesn't quit.

Holding, that is.
Unhallowed, be thy name
Thy kingdom come, Nema
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2016, 09:12 AM)BigPapaKain Wrote: If I recall correctly, didn't Kirkpatrick not know how to back pedal all that well? Who uses a first round draft pick on a corner who can't back pedal?

But I have to admit, dude doesn't quit.

Holding, that is.

I gave Kirkpatrick a lot of crap over the past couple of years, but he is playing really well this year. 

Sure he has a mistake every once in awhile, but he has been solid for the most part. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
I don't want to move Shaw out of the nickel CB position. No way, no how. I think that is such a critical position against today's dink and dunk offenses. And he's soaring.

Dennard just needs to keep playing. He needs to get his confidence back. The Miami game was a step in the right direction. He just needs to get more and more NFL game experience. His accumulated snaps still puts him at close to rookie status. I remember seeing Hall stink up the joint his rookie season and thinking he will never contribute, yet at one point years later, I saw him as one of the best in the league.

I would get Dennard in there over Adam Jones any time the Bengals have a significant lead. Keep Jones fresh and get Dennard snaps against a team that will have to be airing it out. Dennard is probably more a part of the future plans than Kirkpatrick. I doubt the Bengals will sign him long term. Dennard, WJIII, and next year's first round pick will be the future with Shaw as the nickel and Jones as the stop-gap.
Reply/Quote