Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dennard v Dre
Lots of people on this board know way more about football then me.

But as a long time fan, I have a question.

Isn't Dennard a much better player than Dre?

There is no way I would let Dennard walk because I had to keep Dre.

To me Dre can't tackle and has been a PI machine since the first year he was drafted.

And I recall scouting reports when he played for Bama predicted he would get a lot of PI calls in the pros.

Thoughts from better observers than me?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
A bit of a toss up. Dennard has a problem staying on the field and dre cant tackle or catch obvious interceptions.

I'd prefer to sign dennard because when he can play hes a good defender.
Reply/Quote
Kirkpatricks career wasn’t as bad as some fans made it out to be but I think he’s expendable at 30 years old and with his big contract. My issue with Dennard is he’s never healthy and I don’t know if he can play on the outside and guard some other teams top WR. He wanted to be paid like an outside corner last offseason and there was no market for him. If we address linebacker and O-line in free agency I would strongly lean towards us drafting a CB at pick 33. Best case scenario Jackson III has a bounce back year and we extend him. I just think Dennard might get overpaid in free agency and not be worth the money.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2020, 12:39 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: A bit of a toss up. Dennard has a problem staying on the field and dre cant tackle or catch obvious interceptions.

I'd prefer to sign dennard because when he can play hes a good defender.

With Jackson commanding a decent new contract I don't know how you pay those three players 1/6th of the cap. I could see them drafting the bpa in any round after the first. I believe that Dre is gone if he doesn't lower his salary.
Reply/Quote
Send Andy to Bears for #50 (#2 2nd round pick), trade 3rd round pick to Lions for D. Slay. You now have Slay and a 2nd, second round pick for a top DB if they want. Dre and Dennard are now expendable. Problem solved.
Reply/Quote
They will not release Dre, but they will draft a CB very high. I predict the first pick of the second round.

Dennard is not better than Kirkpatrick. Kirkpatrick plays outside and has always started over Dennard who mostly just plays inside.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2020, 01:05 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote:  With Jackson commanding a decent new contract I don't know how you pay those three players 1/6th of the cap. I could see them drafting the bpa in any round after the first. I believe that Dre is gone if he doesn't lower his salary.

Yeah I don’t think Kirkpatrick and Dennard have long term futures with this team we need to reset at CB. Best case scenario Jackson has a bounce back year and is extended long term with Kirkpatrick being cut. Maybe we go CB at pick 33 to pair with Jackson going forward and Philips develops into a good third corner.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2020, 01:18 PM)fredtoast Wrote: They will not release Dre, but they will draft a CB very high. I predict the first pick of the second round.

Dennard is not better than Kirkpatrick. Kirkpatrick plays outside and has always started over Dennard who mostly just plays inside.

Agreed , I’m not giving big money to a 28 year old injury prone corner who only plays inside. I think they go CB at pick 33 and if he plays well this year Dre becomes expendable.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2020, 01:05 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote:  With Jackson commanding a decent new contract I don't know how you pay those three players 1/6th of the cap. I could see them drafting the bpa in any round after the first. I believe that Dre is gone if he doesn't lower his salary.

Not me. Can you think of a time when they had a dead cap over 6 million? They're already at 2.9, cutting Dre would put them at 6.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
Personally I like Dennard but I would get rid of them both
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2020, 12:23 PM)bengals67 Wrote: Lots of people on this board know way more about football then me.

But as a long time fan, I have a question.

Isn't Dennard a much better player than Dre?

There is no way I would let Dennard walk because I had to keep Dre.

To me Dre can't tackle and has been a PI machine since the first year he was drafted.

And I recall scouting reports when he played for Bama predicted he would get a lot of PI calls in the pros.

Thoughts from better observers than me?

Dre was only credited with 2 penalties for 30 yards in 2019, so I don't agree that he's a penalty machine.

Another point is that Dennard is best in the slot and Dre is a boundary CB. It's really more Dennard vs Webb, and I say kick Webb to the curb and let Dre compete with Phillips and a possible draft pick outside.
Reply/Quote
Darius Phillips has earned a shot to start on the outside so releasing Dre would free up cap space.

Also SCB is a different beast entirely than outside corner and takes a different type of corner...
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-02-2020, 01:28 PM)JWW1971 Wrote: Personally I like Dennard but I would get rid of them both

You think Webb is better than both of them?

Shocked
Reply/Quote
Ok so CB at 33. Meaning no LB, OT, or WR.

We just don't have enough picks.

I'd go with Dennard tho. Our D noticeably improved and got physical when he returned. He's the best tackling/blitzing slot corner in the league (and best on the team). I wouldn't be handing WJIII any new contract anytime soon either. It's a big year for him.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2020, 01:52 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You think Webb is better than both of them?

Shocked
Hell no Webb is not better ! At least in my view because every time i seen a pass being thrown deep in the air when the camera focused in i knew it would be Webb defending and most likely a big completion. I like Dennard and since he was a Thorpe award winner playing on the outside I never understood why couldn't he compete for the spot versus Dre. Dre used to be a big hitter and sure tackler in college even wanting to play special teams but his tacking with us has been atrocious. 
Reply/Quote
Some of you saying you want to get rid of Dennard...is this what you really want to get rid of?

Of the slot corners that played 50%+ of their snaps inside last season, Dennard ranked FIRST in catches allowed (14), yards (134), passer rating (68.4), yards per snap (0.57), snaps per target (9.0) and snaps per reception (16.8).

That's every category PFF keeps data on. Every one.

As for his injury history, they put him on the PUP list to start last season meaning he couldn't play or practice for the first 6 weeks of the season. He wouldn't have missed 6 games had they not PUP'd him. The three seasons prior to that he played in 13, 16, and 15 games.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2020, 02:49 PM)Fullrock Wrote: Some of you saying you want to get rid of Dennard...is this what you really want to get rid of?

Of the slot corners that played 50%+ of their snaps inside last season, Dennard ranked FIRST in catches allowed (14), yards (134), passer rating (68.4), yards per snap (0.57), snaps per target (9.0) and snaps per reception (16.8).

That's every category PFF keeps data on. Every one.

As for his injury history, they put him on the PUP list to start last season meaning he couldn't play or practice for the first 6 weeks of the season. He wouldn't have missed 6 games had they not PUP'd him. The three seasons prior to that he played in 13, 16, and 15 games.

But Availability is also important
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2020, 02:52 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: But Availability is also important

Of course it is. And he had a 3 year stretch prior to last season where he missed a total of 4 games.
Reply/Quote
Dennard is more important to the team then is Dre but in reality they play two different positions.
I would keep both though and trade Jackson to me you can get something nice for Jackson like a first or second RD pick that can help the team immediately.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2020, 01:53 PM)jj22 Wrote: Ok so CB at 33. Meaning no LB, OT, or WR.

We just don't have enough picks.

I'd go with Dennard tho. Our D noticeably improved and got physical when he returned. He's the best tackling/blitzing slot corner in the league (and best on the team). I wouldn't be handing WJIII any new contract anytime soon either. It's a big year for him.

We have so many holes that’s why we need to use free agency to open up the draft. We could address O-line and linebacker in free agency , go CB at 33 and pick a WR in round 3 in a draft that’s stacked at the position. I fine bringing Dennard back at the right price just not overpaying for a 28 year old CB 3 that only plays inside.
Reply/Quote