Woulda done that deal no problem
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
He picked the wrong “cat” team.
Reply/Quote
My assumption is he wanted to stay in the nfc
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2023, 09:17 AM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: My assumption is he wanted to stay in the nfc

something smells here..how does Bates get a HUGE BAG  and this guy being touted as the top safety available end up with a measley 1 yr Prove it deal?
I sense theres some personality concerns or something else going on?
Reply/Quote
The last of my dream FA options. Truth is this dream was over when we signed Scott.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2023, 10:38 AM)kalibengal Wrote: something smells here..how does Bates get a HUGE BAG  and this guy being touted as the top safety available end up with a measley 1 yr Prove it deal?
I sense theres some personality concerns or something else going on?

He asked for too much then missed his market window... 

So he basically took a 1 year deal to kick the can of Free agency to next year.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2023, 11:31 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: He asked for too much then missed his market window... 

So he basically took a 1 year deal to kick the can of Free agency to next year.

Agreed and I wonder if the Bengals had any real interest in him? 
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2023, 12:18 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Agreed and I wonder if the Bengals had any real interest in him? 

Think I heard they made phone calls inquiring a few times but obviously he doesn’t want to play for a contender choosing the Lions and all.
Reply/Quote
Don’t sleep on the Lions next year. Huge threat to win their division.

Hoping the Bengals are saving their free agent money for both a TE and a CB.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2023, 02:51 PM)bengals67 Wrote: Don’t sleep on the Lions next year. Huge threat to win their division.

Hoping the Bengals are saving their free agent money for both a TE and a CB.

they had the leagues best offense for many weeks... If they can sort out the Defense they have a legit shot...  Especially with the Rodgers leaving the Div  they just gotta overtake the Vikings
Reply/Quote
Sure wish the Bengals could have gotten in on that price.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2023, 07:10 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Sure wish the Bengals could have gotten in on that price.

Should've given him 3 years and 30 million and locked him up
Reply/Quote
This deal makes me think the bengals passed on him for some reason. Character concerns? Asking price? Maybe they don’t think he’s that good? I don’t know. But they quickly pivoted to Scott and didn’t look back—announcing him as their starter right away.

Lions could be good this year if they figure out their defense. NFC north is wide open.

We’ll see what happens at safety this year. I trust Lou. We’ve got some athletic and highly intelligent players that tackle very well. Hope to see the young safeties put it all together.

I wonder what the bengals are going to do with their cap space. Definitely see some extensions coming. Joe, Higgins, Wilson. But they’ve got money to spend on top of that. Hoping to see some quality depth signings.
Reply/Quote
Here’s what happened

Eagles tried to extend him early in FA but wanted more, so they moved in to Bradbury and Slay.

He/agent overvalued not realizing his market/ league viewed him as risk

Settled for prove it deal.

Just greed
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2023, 09:47 PM)pulses Wrote: Should've given him 3 years and 30 million and locked him up

Doubt he accepts that. When good players sign 1 year deals they're just kicking the can down to the next offseason for the big payday they're looking for. Next offseason he'll be a FA heading into his age 27 season when the cap jumps again. If he signs a 3 year bargain deal now he'd be a FA heading into his age 29 season. Those two ages get very different FA looks.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2023, 11:18 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Doubt he accepts that. When good players sign 1 year deals they're just kicking the can down to the next offseason for the big payday they're looking for. Next offseason he'll be a FA heading into his age 27 season when the cap jumps again. If he signs a 3 year bargain deal now he'd be a FA heading into his age 29 season. Those two ages get very different FA looks.

And if he sucks up the place this year that 3 yrs and 30 million is a good deal for him....it goes both ways.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2023, 11:18 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Doubt he accepts that. When good players sign 1 year deals they're just kicking the can down to the next offseason for the big payday they're looking for. Next offseason he'll be a FA heading into his age 27 season when the cap jumps again. If he signs a 3 year bargain deal now he'd be a FA heading into his age 29 season. Those two ages get very different FA looks.

(03-21-2023, 12:25 AM)pulses Wrote: And if he sucks up the place this year that 3 yrs and 30 million is a good deal for him....it goes both ways.

Always a risk, but he also went to a division with generally poor QB play (or at least no elite QBs), which is very crafty and could help his value.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2023, 11:06 AM)Stewy Wrote: Always a risk, but he also went to a division with generally poor QB play (or at least no elite QBs), which is very crafty and could help his value.

I agree
Reply/Quote