Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Denzel Mims
Jets WR Denzel Mims' agent has gone public with requests for a trade, citing a lack of opportunities. Mims was considered a fringe 1st rounder in the '20 draft, but hasn't taken off in the pros with 490 receiving yards in 20 career games so far. Kid may be worth a late day three pick as a reclamation project and ran 4.38 at the Combine, so he would add some much needed speed to the back half of the Bengals' WR room.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Does he play ST? We already have our big 3, so WR4 on down have to play ST. That's a big thing with Simmons.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
I read about it in NFL. com and it seems like his agent will be looking for a team that will give the young buck snaps. I don’t see that for him here. If I was his agent, I’d be on the phone with Chicago or Green Bay!

I wouldn’t be against acquiring him, I just don’t think he’d be happy here.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2022, 01:39 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Does he play ST? We already have our big 3, so WR4 on down have to play ST. That's a big thing with Simmons.

They have been running him out for it the last couple weeks.

I would do a conditional late day 3 pick for him. 
Reply/Quote
I'm confused by some of the comments in this thread. Explain to me how this computes. This isn't Madden.

#1 - He's looking for a trade to get more opportunities. He's already being run out there for ST duty, which obviously he doesn't want to do.
#2 - We have 3 studs, which means low opportunities available. He'd have to play ST, which he doesn't want to do.
#3 - If he can't get the opportunities on the Jets....if he can't break through there, then why in the hell would we want him here?

Good luck to him, but he has no business on the Bengals at any cost.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2022, 11:41 AM)Stewy Wrote: I'm confused by some of the comments in this thread. Explain to me how this computes. This isn't Madden.

#1 - He's looking for a trade to get more opportunities. He's already being run out there for ST duty, which obviously he doesn't want to do.
#2 - We have 3 studs, which means low opportunities available. He'd have to play ST, which he doesn't want to do.
#3 - If he can't get the opportunities on the Jets....if he can't break through there, then why in the hell would we want him here?

This. And he doesn’t seem to play special teams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2022, 11:41 AM)Stewy Wrote: I'm confused by some of the comments in this thread.  Explain to me how this computes.  This isn't Madden.

#1 - He's looking for a trade to get more opportunities.  He's already being run out there for ST duty, which obviously he doesn't want to do.
#2 - We have 3 studs, which means low opportunities available.  He'd have to play ST, which he doesn't want to do.

I tend to agree with your line of thinking here.  Mims is looking for a breakout season, likely to ensure that the Jets, or another team if he's traded, offer him a competitive second contract.  I can't see him being happy as a 4th or 5th WR on the Bengals bench.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
He has tiny hands for a big guy.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2022, 11:41 AM)Stewy Wrote: I'm confused by some of the comments in this thread.  Explain to me how this computes.  This isn't Madden.

#1 - He's looking for a trade to get more opportunities.  He's already being run out there for ST duty, which obviously he doesn't want to do.
#2 - We have 3 studs, which means low opportunities available.  He'd have to play ST, which he doesn't want to do.

I guess I'm confused by your post.

The thing about opportunities was his agent said Mims has literally gotten zero opportunities with the first team to try and prove himself and that makes it clear that he's not in the Jets future plans.

He's willing to play ST's.  I don't know where you get that he isn't.  His ST's coach with the Jets has been quoted as saying he's trying hard and he's learning.  His agent has said he's willing to do it, as well.

I mean, BJ Hill couldn't break through with the Giants and did fine for us last year.  Lots of folks are pining for Spain to come back and he"s been cast off numerous times.  Keep in mind that the Jets went through a coaching change and the new regime may be focused on their guys.  They have Corey Davis on a good sized contract and have spent a 1st and a 2nd on WR's over the last couple of drafts.  

Also keep in mind that being the WR4 on a SB contender with Joe Burrow as your QB is a much better opportunity than being a WR4 on a cellar dweller like the Jets with Zach Wilson at QB.  

I'm not slamming my fist on the table for the guy, but it seems like some folks just read the headline and made up a story about Mims in their heads.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2022, 11:22 AM)Au165 Wrote: They have been running him out for it the last couple weeks.

This is pretty much where I'm at.  The Bengals have been working more with Chase in the slot this off-season and having another outside threat to facilitate that would help.  He can potentially make some splash plays in 4 WR sets, particularly with Tee and Chase on one side to pull the S's attention and Boyd in the slot on his side.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2022, 12:40 PM)Whatever Wrote: I guess I'm confused by your post.

The thing about opportunities was his agent said Mims has literally gotten zero opportunities with the first team to try and prove himself and that makes it clear that he's not in the Jets future plans.

He's willing to play ST's.  I don't know where you get that he isn't.  His ST's coach with the Jets has been quoted as saying he's trying hard and he's learning.  His agent has said he's willing to do it, as well.

I mean, BJ Hill couldn't break through with the Giants and did fine for us last year.  Lots of folks are pining for Spain to come back and he"s been cast off numerous times.  Keep in mind that the Jets went through a coaching change and the new regime may be focused on their guys.  They have Corey Davis on a good sized contract and have spent a 1st and a 2nd on WR's over the last couple of drafts.  

Also keep in mind that being the WR4 on a SB contender with Joe Burrow as your QB is a much better opportunity than being a WR4 on a cellar dweller like the Jets with Zach Wilson at QB.  

I'm not slamming my fist on the table for the guy, but it seems like some folks just read the headline and made up a story about Mims in their heads.

Seems like he's had issues with penalties, drops, and lack of separation.

https://jetsxfactor.com/2022/06/01/denzel-mims-ny-jets-wr-film-stats/

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2022, 12:50 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Seems like he's had issues with penalties, drops, and lack of separation.

https://jetsxfactor.com/2022/06/01/denzel-mims-ny-jets-wr-film-stats/

He was bad last year, but showed some promise as a rookie.  I would say he earned himself a spot in the doghouse and the coaches are making an example of him.  I wouldn't expect him to light it up here, but he would be a better backup outside WR than Morgan or Thomas imo.
Reply/Quote
Panthers apparently reaching out about him
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2022, 12:40 PM)Whatever Wrote: I guess I'm confused by your post.

*shrugs*  Was going on what his agent and what other people were saying here.  It's not me making things up.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2022, 11:22 AM)Au165 Wrote: They have been running him out for it the last couple weeks.

I am cool with this, Mims is a talent and could be that type of WR we need in case one of our top 3 go down or when Boyd 
leaves now that I know he is willing to play ST's. Which is what matters with a WR out of the top 3 especially for us where 
we depend on ST's play big time with Simmons.

I still want Kendrick Pryor to make the team along with Trent Taylor and Stanley Morgan though. So we would have 7 WR's.
Reply/Quote
With this talk about wanting another reciever with speed like Denzel Mims, I just want to point out Kendric Pryor ran a 4.38 at his pro day.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2022, 10:13 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: With this talk about wanting another reciever with speed like Denzel Mims, I just want to point out Kendric Pryor ran a 4.38 at his pro day.

Pryor and Mims have very similar athletic testing... the difference is Pryor is 5-11 190lbs and Mims is 6'3 210lbs.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-27-2022, 11:47 AM)Synric Wrote: Pryor and Mims have very similar athletic testing... the difference is Pryor is 5-11 190lbs and Mims is 6'3 210lbs.

Both are also 24 years old, though Mims has two years of experience already.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2022, 10:13 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: With this talk about wanting another reciever with speed like Denzel Mims, I just want to point out Kendric Pryor ran a 4.38 at his pro day.

Dude looks it on the field in pads too, really like Pryor.

(08-27-2022, 11:47 AM)Synric Wrote: Pryor and Mims have very similar athletic testing... the difference is Pryor is 5-11 190lbs and Mims is 6'3 210lbs.

Yeah, Mims is a big Receiver.

(08-27-2022, 03:23 PM)Whatever Wrote: Both are also 24 years old, though Mims has two years of experience already.

Bring in Mims and keep Pryor. Nice talent for the future and coming off the bench.
Reply/Quote