Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SI - Wide Zone Breakdown.
Mike Santagata (better known on twitter as Bengal Sans) did a Breakdown of Frank Pollack's Wide Zone Stretch. He talks about the 3B's running back reada and blocking by the offensive line. Definitely worth the watch and read especially if your a football nerd like myself lol.

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/.amp/allbengals-insiders-plus/film-breakdown-how-frank-pollacks-wide-zone-scheme-will-impact-joe-mixon-and-the-bengals-rushing-attack?__twitter_impression=true
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2021, 02:55 PM)Synric Wrote: Mike Santagata (better known on twitter as Bengal Sans) did a Breakdown of Frank Pollack's Wide Zone Stretch. He talks about the 3B's running back reada and blocking by the offensive line. Definitely worth the watch and read especially if your a football nerd like myself lol.

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/.amp/allbengals-insiders-plus/film-breakdown-how-frank-pollacks-wide-zone-scheme-will-impact-joe-mixon-and-the-bengals-rushing-attack?__twitter_impression=true

Thanks man, will watch this after I get me some more coffee. Coffee
Reply/Quote
The Wide Zone is very effective when properly executed. However, in order for it to even work at all, you have to call the play, and actually run the ball.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2021, 10:07 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The Wide Zone is very effective when properly executed.  However, in order for it to even work at all, you have to call the play, and actually run the ball.

This.

I felt way too many times that if Mixon (or Gio) didn't get 8 yards on one of his first two carries that it was going to be another air-it-out day for the offense.

I am not saying I am against airing it out, if that is the weakness of the team you are attacking, but there needs to be a greater emphasis on rushing.  Especially given the "tee off" nature of defenses when they don't have to respect the run at all.  I think Pollack's title alone says they are aware of this and we should see a lot more of Mixon in 2021.  
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2021, 11:45 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: This.

I felt way too many times that if Mixon (or Gio) didn't get 8 yards on one of his first two carries that it was going to be another air-it-out day for the offense.

I am not saying I am against airing it out, if that is the weakness of the team you are attacking, but there needs to be a greater emphasis on rushing.  Especially given the "tee off" nature of defenses when they don't have to respect the run at all.  I think Pollack's title alone says they are aware of this and we should see a lot more of Mixon in 2021.  

Yup.  It amazes me how often the ends have their ears pinned back and we could smack them in the mouth with a trap play for a huge gain AND to keep the defense honest, only to throw it again.  Sometimes it seems that if we pass 4 or 5 consecutive plays, Taylor won't call a run for the remainder of the drive because he thinks the defense will expect it, so we have to keep throwing to keep them off balance.
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2021, 02:55 PM)Synric Wrote: Mike Santagata (better known on twitter as Bengal Sans) did a Breakdown of Frank Pollack's Wide Zone Stretch. Definitely worth the watch and read especially if your a football nerd like myself lol.

This was amazing; thank you for sharing. I love this detail of football nerdiness because it makes me appreciate the game so much more. I always recommend “Take Your Eye Off the Ball: How to Watch Football by Knowing Where to Look” by Pat Kirwan.
Reply/Quote
Good article. For the personnel we have, the free hand technique is absolutely the right way to approach this year’s incarnation of an offensive line. Turners 2 hand can be effective, and many at times dominating when working with elite lineman, but using it with the personnel we had (and have) exacerbates the weaknesses. If I were coaching a high school offensive line, then I’d likely advocate the 2-hand punch, as the pass rushers aren’t as developed in technique etc, but most NFL teams should - and do - use the free hand technique. The “punch” badly exposes your “weak links” of your chain, and can (and obviously does unfortunately ) put your qb in situations where he’s a sacrificial lamb.
Reply/Quote
Turner's version of 2 hand is only good for creating defenders flying in unblocked. It also did not help that Turner was a bad teacher.
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2021, 11:57 AM)jfkbengals Wrote: Yup.  It amazes me how often the ends have their ears pinned back and we could smack them in the mouth with a trap play for a huge gain AND to keep the defense honest, only to throw it again.  Sometimes it seems that if we pass 4 or 5 consecutive plays, Taylor won't call a run for the remainder of the drive because he thinks the defense will expect it, so we have to keep throwing to keep them off balance.

Exactly.  This and all the blame falls on the offensive line.  There is a reason teams like Cleveland don't face relentless pass rush all game.  The running game helps keep those linemen honest.  
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2021, 10:07 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The Wide Zone is very effective when properly executed.  However, in order for it to even work at all, you have to call the play, and actually run the ball.

That first step sounds like too much work...
Reply/Quote
From I see and hear the OL, namely Jonah and D'Ante also love the Wide Zone and we might finally have the players to
implement this and Mixon could have a great year. Pollack coming back is just great for the entire team. Mixon loves the
Wide Zone and if we can run the ball well it takes pressure off of Burrow and keeps the Defense fresh.
Reply/Quote