Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Derek Johnson New Pitcher Coach
Red's hire Derek Johnson as new pitching coach.  Johnson is considered one of the top pitching coaches in the league and apparently the Red's stepped it up to slip him away from the Brewers.  Now they just need arms.  This is a good hire.  

https://sports.yahoo.com/m/7cd22250-4a8c-36a3-8fd9-feb5432a2edf/ss_cincinnati-reds-to-name-derek.html
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
And weakens a division opponent at the same time.
Reply/Quote
This is actually EXTREMELY exciting for me because the Brewers were able to have an incredibly successful campaign this year without elite starting pitching.

They used a lot of relief pitching and de-emphasized the starting rotation, which is how our pitching staff is currently constructed.

He made a lateral move from a division winner to a division bottom feeder, so that tells me the Reds must have really opened up their check book.

Excellent start to attempting to improve this trash pitching staff.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2018, 08:43 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: This is actually EXTREMELY exciting for me because the Brewers were able to have an incredibly successful campaign this year without elite starting pitching.

They used a lot of relief pitching and de-emphasized the starting rotation, which is how our pitching staff is currently constructed.

He made a lateral move from a division winner to a division bottom feeder, so that tells me the Reds must have really opened up their check book.

Excellent start to attempting to improve this trash pitching staff.

Yep, because the Brewers tried to hell to get him to stay. But assuming he didn't think he was paid like he should be. or he wants to take this challenge on to boast his already impressive resume. 

Literally wrote the book on pitching.

Worked at the power house Vandy with the who's who in pitching.

All the players that worked with him raves about his communication and how he works with their strengths vs fitting a mold.

Sounds like a great hire.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
A pitching coach is great as long as the talent is also there with the pitching staff. I think the Reds have lots of talent with the exception of Homer. We need another 1 or 2 starter this offseason. May be a free agent to get. I heard some are on the market. But, it will cost.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2018, 11:35 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: A pitching coach is great as long as the talent is also there with the pitching staff. I think the Reds have lots of talent with the exception of Homer. We need another 1 or 2 starter this offseason. May be a free agent to get. I heard some are on the market. But, it will cost.
The fan base on the Brewers message board are hating losing this guy. This hire could be enticing to some free agent pitchers, Lord knows the ballpark won’t be.
Reply/Quote
Maybe he can teach pitchers to get a lot more ground balls and a lot less of the ones that go in the river. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Great Hire. Milwaukee had great pitching, especially that bullpen. Johnson is given credit for turning many of those pitchers around such as Nelson and getting more out of them. Brewers hate to see him go. Reds should be happy to see him come in.

Bell, Johnson added. Keep it going. They can replace all the coaches and players as far as I'm concerned. There is nothing good about finishing around last the past 5 years or so. Keeping the same team would have only guaranteed last place more years.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
The guy knows how to win championships

[Image: The-Rock-dwayne-the-rock-johnson-33694572-500-562.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Good hire but until they get Johnso some real pitchers to work with, don't know how much it really matters. Somebody above said the Reds have "lots of talent" on their pitching staff, and I struggling to find one sure thing in their rotation other than Castillo (who had a meh season last year).
Reply/Quote
I heard interview today with Lance McAllister, and Johnson believes that a couple young arms can get better and are close but he also implied or at least did not bs about the lack of top tier arms on staff. I think the Reds will get one top tier starter and maybe a mid tier starter. There is a chance the Lorenz can start.
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(11-03-2018, 01:29 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: I heard interview today with Lance McAllister, and Johnson believes that a couple young arms can get better and are close but he also implied or at least did not bs about the lack of top tier arms on staff. I think the Reds will get one top tier starter and maybe a mid tier starter. There is a chance the Lorenz can start.

They need a top tier guy and a mid tier guy just to have a shot at .500. The lineup still doesn’t have hitters that compliment each other well.
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2018, 01:23 AM)Circleville Guy Wrote: They need a top tier guy and a mid tier guy just to have a shot at .500. The lineup still doesn’t have hitters that compliment each other well.

rumor has it that the Reds may look at Patrick Corbin but he seems happy to be with Arizona.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(11-04-2018, 05:08 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: rumor has it that the Reds may look at Patrick Corbin but he seems happy to be with Arizona.  

He would be a good start!
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2018, 01:42 AM)Circleville Guy Wrote: He would be a good start!

If the Reds land Corbin, it would be huge statement to the new pitching coach and fan base!  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
Well I know some of you may not like this, but the Reds might sign Matt Harvey because he got along well with the young pitching staff on the Reds. The Reds also might go after Holland from the San Francisco Giants. I sure hope Derek Johnson has some input on whom they acquire.
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(11-05-2018, 07:06 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Well I know some of you may not like this, but the Reds might sign Matt Harvey because he got along well with the young pitching staff on the Reds. 

Who could be mad about this?  He was the best starter on our staff.

Only reason people could be mad is if they paid him like a big star, but I don't see him getting anything like that.  It has been 3 years since his last good season.
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2018, 07:06 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Well I know some of you may not like this, but the Reds might sign Matt Harvey because he got along well with the young pitching staff on the Reds.  The Reds also might go after Holland from the San Francisco Giants. I sure hope Derek Johnson has some input on whom they acquire.

At least it's because they really like him. 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote