Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Derogatory/Disparaging terms/names/remarks
Let this be a reminder that the Code of Conduct is quite clear that this board will NOT tolerate the use of derogatory or disparaging names, terms, or remarks toward others.

I'm speaking specifically to a recent uptick in use of the term "inbreds" to describe a specific person or group of people. We are simply not having that sort of rhetoric around here, and you can count on the CoC to be enforced to the fullest extent, when it comes to things like that.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(bump)

In case anyone didn't see it the first time..

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
This thread is now open for discussion. Your sincere input is greatly valued here, and we encourage everyone to join the conversation.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Appreciate you guys reeling it in a bit. It would be really easy for this place to become toxic after a 1 or 2 win season, and 4 years straight of losing. We get it, the team sucks, the family is the worst, but if that’s all the board is going to be it will get as miserable as the product on the field itself...

Reply/Quote
Name calling and personal attacks have also been on the rise lately, and in numerous threads. I would ask that everyone try to avoid doing that, because it does nothing but derail the threads and turn them into pissing matches between posters, which we don't need...and is also a violation of the rules that we're going to start cracking down on.

I understand this season has been rough and everyone has their own strong views and opinions on this franchise and what should be done, but fighting with each other - for those doing it with insults and attacks - will only result in not being able to express your thoughts because you're not doing it within the rules. 

If you can't disagree or make an argument without resorting to that stuff, then just move onto another thread or take a break from posting for awhile.  Whatever
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 06:46 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Name calling and personal attacks have also been on the rise lately, and in numerous threads. I would ask that everyone try to avoid doing that, because it does nothing but derail the threads and turn them into pissing matches between posters, which we don't need...and is also a violation of the rules that we're going to start cracking down on.

I understand this season has been rough and everyone has their own strong vies and opinions on this franchise and what should be done, but fighting with each other - for those doing it with insults and attacks - will only result in not being able to express your thoughts because you're not doing it within the rules. 

If you can't disagree or make an argument without resorting to that stuff, then just move onto another thread or take a break from posting for awhile.  Whatever

We all need to rethink some of our posts. Yes, it has been a tough year, but the fans in here are true fans.

I know we don't always agree, but we should agree to be respectful of others opinions we don't like or agree with either way.

I will put myself in time in for 5 minutes.   Smirk
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 06:56 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: We all need to rethink some of our posts. Yes, it has been a tough year, but the fans in here are true fans.

I know e don't always agree, but we should agree to be respectful of others opinions we don't like or agree with either way.

I will put myself in time in for 5 minutes.   Smirk

Yep...we can disagree or see things differently without attacking each other or resorting to juvenile insults.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 06:59 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Yep...we can disagree or see things differently without attacking each other or resorting to juvenile insults.

I agree with the message, but it becomes *SLIGHTLY* harder when every time you make it, I see the "commitment to incompetence" and get both angry and sad. Ninja

Will I ever see a Bengals playoff win in my lifetime? It often feels doubtful.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
WhoDey2

I agree with everything being said. But it's getting harder and harder to bite my keyboard... Cool
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
At the end of the day we all just wanna see the Bengals win a Superbowl (or playoff game LOL). We're all fans of the same team so let's keep the toxicity to a minimum.
Reply/Quote
I totally get the no name calling rules. It doesn’t prove your point or make you right on whatever subject you’re talking about and it’s childish. I do hope that we still are able to say that we think that Mike Brown is a horrible owner or that someone sucks as a player though. You have to have rules but it shouldn’t become fascism to protect against saying that Mike isn’t a good owner. The inbred stuff is obviously a little bit much. Wishing death on the owner is obviously out of bounds too. I’m guessing that if you weren’t allowed to say that a player sucks or that MB has been a horrendous owner then the board would lose half of its posters pretty quick.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 07:51 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I agree with the message, but it becomes *SLIGHTLY* harder when every time you make it, I see the "commitment to incompetence" and get both angry and sad. Ninja

Will I ever see a Bengals playoff win in my lifetime? It often feels doubtful.

Yeah, I deal with disappointment by looking for the humor in it...which is what I meant the sig to be. Unfortunately, it's also a little too accurate based on the last 3 decades...

[Image: source.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 08:32 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: I totally get the no name calling rules. It doesn’t prove your point or make you right on whatever subject you’re talking about and it’s childish. I do hope that we still are able to say that we think that Mike Brown is a horrible owner or that someone sucks as a player though. You have to have rules but it shouldn’t become fascism to protect against saying that Mike isn’t good owner. The inbred stuff is obviously a little bit much. Wishing death on the owner is obviously out of bounds too. I’m guessing that if you weren’t allowed to say that a player sucks or that MB has been a horrendous owner then the board would lose half of its posters pretty quick.

Absolutely.  Our collective opinions are exactly why this board is even a thing.  The use of ugly terms and derogatory labels only serves to create a negative and divisive atmosphere.  We're all fans of the same team, or else we wouldn't even be here.  We just prefer to not have members resorting to the type of language and rhetoric that might be used by angry 4th grade children.  

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 03:43 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Let this be a reminder that the Code of Conduct is quite clear that this board will NOT tolerate the use of derogatory or disparaging names, terms, or remarks toward others.

I'm speaking specifically to a recent uptick in use of the term "inbreds" to describe a specific person or group of people. We are simply not having that sort of rhetoric around here, and you can count on the CoC to be enforced to the fullest extent, when it comes to things like that.

That inbreds shit was getting old, and normal folk frown upon those that use it. Sorry in advance if that was disparaging, but y'all are better than that... Or you should be.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 08:32 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: I totally get the no name calling rules. It doesn’t prove your point or make you right on whatever subject you’re talking about and it’s childish. I do hope that we still are able to say that we think that Mike Brown is a horrible owner or that someone sucks as a player though. You have to have rules but it shouldn’t become fascism to protect against saying that Mike isn’t good owner. The inbred stuff is obviously a little bit much. Wishing death on the owner is obviously out of bounds too. I’m guessing that if you weren’t allowed to say that a player sucks or that MB has been a horrendous owner then the board would lose half of its posters pretty quick.

I doubt you would have any trouble finding endless 'Mike Brown sucks' posts on this board. LOL

Everyone is free to support or criticize the front office, coaching or players all they want...just within the rules, and without going down the road of wishing bad things on people, using derogatory terms or things of that nature.
Reply/Quote
Unless you actually refer to your own father as Uncle Daddy the inbreed stuff is kind of off limits I should think.. Now..if you DO call your own father Uncle Daddy then I suppose it's OK to call yourself inbreed, but.....  Nervous
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 08:42 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Absolutely.  Our collective opinions are exactly why this board is even a thing.  The use of ugly terms and derogatory labels only serves to create a negative and divisive atmosphere.  We're all fans of the same team, or else we wouldn't even be here.  We just prefer to not have members resorting to the type of language and rhetoric that might be used by angry 4th grade children.  

Totally agree. Thanks
Reply/Quote
I respect any decision the moderators make and will gladly comply with any conduct policy be it new or old.

I have to say, however, I don't get all of the hand-wringing over the Inbreds nickname. Aside from being absolutely hilarious, it's far from the worst thing that's ever been said respective of a person/group of people that a given poster may dislike.

If this is the aim of the COC, I have to ask: Are we still permitted to call the Steelers and their fans things like Stoolers? Are we going to keep slinging around the Rapist or Rapistberger nicknames for Ben? I mean, is it worse to call someone literal feces or inbred? Is it worse to call a very specific person a rapist?

How bout calling the Browns the Turds or the Stains?

The Brown family is, in the view of many fans, every bit the enemy of the success we want for this team as any rival. They have been a civic disgrace and a generally malignant presence in the NFL and Greater Cincinnati communities since the moment that Paul Brown passed away. I guarantee that many of the fans that they have somehow managed not to alienate over their multiple decades of stupidity/greed have said far worse about them and will continue to.

They management group are public figures. Very public, as they've managed to continue securing their wealth with the aid of the Hamilton County taxpayer. Insulting a fellow board member is out of bounds. If I've done so, then I regret it. However, I will never apologize for disparaging or derogatory remarks about the people profiting off of the misery they provide this fanbase with regularly.

The mods of this board and fans of this team deserve better. I apologize if I made anyone feel the need to "squeal" about something I said about the family. However, the Brown family deserves nothing but hate and derision. If I need to tone that back here, so be it.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 08:45 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I doubt you would have any trouble finding endless 'Mike Brown sucks' posts on this board. LOL

Everyone is free to support or criticize the front office, coaching or players all they want...just within the rules, and without going down the road of wishing bad things on people, using derogatory terms or things of that nature.

Very true! There should be an exemption day though if Mike screws up the JB pick.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 06:42 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Appreciate you guys reeling it in a bit. It would be really easy for this place to become toxic after a 1 or 2 win season, and 4 years straight of losing. We get it, the team sucks, the family is the worst, but if that’s all the board is going to be it will get as miserable as the product on the field itself...

ThumbsUp

It has noting to do with people thinking MB sucks. This is your board. It's all about being respectable to one another and having good conversations without going for the throat each time a poster types something another doesn't agree with. Most of us are very frustrated with the season, but we should never attack one another. 

In a nutshell, the members of this site are gold. We have had some miserable years and some great ones. We have held on to a team that brings mainly ridicule and disrespect from family and friends. Heck, I hear it just about everyday. So I guess this board, this year, is our support group. Smirk We should be kind to each other.  

Reply/Quote