Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Derrick Deese Jr. TE
Looking at this guy on PFF. Have not heard a lot about him but he graded out very well at both receiving - 79.3 and blocking - 82.9

Good size at 6' 4 240

He was 7th in NCAA in deep yards and tied for 10th in contested catches. Looks like we could grab him in the later rounds - 5th-6th

Here is a small video

Anyone know anything more about this guy?
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2022, 07:18 PM)CloeHokie Wrote: Looking at this guy on PFF. Have not heard a lot about him but he graded out very well at both receiving - 79.3 and blocking - 82.9

Good size at 6' 4 240

He was 7th in NCAA in deep yards and tied for 10th in contested catches. Looks like we could grab him in the later rounds - 5th-6th

Here is a small video

First I'm hearing of him but he seems like a good prospect to me. This would fit the direction I hope the Bengals go and address other needs first then target a TE and a 4th WR later in the draft. I'll have to look into him a little more.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2022, 07:53 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: First I'm hearing of him but he seems like a good prospect to me. This would fit the direction I hope the Bengals go and address other needs first then target a TE and a 4th WR later in the draft. I'll have to look into him a little more.

Pretty slow for his size at 4.78
Reply/Quote
I watched Derek Deese twice last year in the both the USC and San Diego State games and came away very impressed. He definitely stood out. He showed good hands and was a very willing blocker. Definitely his QB’s favorite target. I’m curious to see where he goes in the draft. I feel like this class is loaded with very good but not great TE’s. It wouldn’t surprise me to see him go in the 5th.
Reply/Quote
Really know nothing about him, but he definitely looks good on tape.

Yet just for the Deese Nuts jokes when he scores on steelers and the Browns I think it's worth a shot.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
I’m a big fan of Deese in round 6-7. He’s got real sleeper value. With Hurst on the team we won’t be forced to take a TE early if the draft falls another way. If so, Deese is worth a shot late.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2022, 07:18 PM)CloeHokie Wrote: Looking at this guy on PFF. Have not heard a lot about him but he graded out very well at both receiving - 79.3 and blocking - 82.9

Good size at 6' 4 240

Here is a small video

I'm glad you said " Later Rounds ".   Besides Sample, Bengals have signed 3 Free Agent Tight Ends plus some others back beside Sample.  So Bengals are already over loaded on Tight Ends to bring to Camp. I would take round 5 off. Maybe if he is somebody they might want at 6 or 7. He better be able to Block. Coach Taylor has all these WR's that can really Block, so I'm sure he expects a TE to be a great Blocker. I don't think they are looking for a WR type at TE. I think they are looking for a Blocking TE who can catch some, but the Blocking comes first as with Kittle. With Uzomah gone, I look for Coach Taylor to go more with BLOCKING Tight Ends. It seems to be the kind they are loading up on in Free Agency. Sample has the size to be a good Blocker.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Maybe a 7th rounder. Bengals have two of them with the Price trade.
Seems like a good candidate for PS.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-09-2022, 02:49 AM)kevin Wrote: I'm glad you said " Later Rounds ".   Besides Sample, Bengals have signed 3 Free Agent Tight Ends plus some others back beside Sample.  So Bengals are already over loaded on Tight Ends to bring to Camp.  I would take round 5 off.  Maybe if he is somebody they might want at 6 or 7. He better be able to Block. Coach Taylor has all these WR's that can really Block, so I'm sure he expects a TE to be a great Blocker.  I don't think they are looking for a WR type at TE.  I think they are looking for a Blocking TE who can catch some, but the Blocking comes first as with Kittle.  With Uzomah gone, I look for Coach Taylor to go more with BLOCKING Tight Ends.  It seems to be the kind they are loading up on in Free Agency.  Sample has the size to be a good Blocker.

We brought in 3 TEs? 

Aside from Hearst I only know of Eubanks and he is hardly a lock to make the roster. Hearst is on a one year deal and Sample is not very good. We need to look for a potential guy to be the guy.
Reply/Quote
All I could find on him on PFF since he didnt even play enough snaps to be recorded.

"Eubanks is a tight end body and not much more. He's not even likely a blocking tight end at the moment"

Just because we sign some scrubs doesn't mean we aren't going to try and find a gem in the draft. That guy won't make the team. I will bet whatever you like
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2022, 03:04 PM)CloeHokie Wrote: We brought in 3 TEs? 

Aside from Hearst I only know of Eubanks and he is hardly a lock to make the roster. Hearst is on a one year deal and Sample is not very good. We need to look for a potential guy to be the guy.

This isn't really a good class to look for an above-averaging starting TE1, IMO.
This class has a lot of great TE2 guys though.

Might make more sense to look for a Sample replacement in this class and then look for a new TE1 next year.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote