Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Derwin James info
So according to a si article I came across recently, he's up to 222 pounds, is 6"4, has a 41 inch vertical, and may break the db arm length record. In addition, he power cleans 360 and bench presses 450 while running a sub 4.4. gtfoh. If he's there at pick 12 along with Nelson and vea, I wouldn't want to be in the Bengals war room. There's liable to be fights breaking out in there over who to pick.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2018, 11:38 PM)Jpoore Wrote: So according to a si article I came across recently, he's up to 222 pounds, is 6"4, has a 41 inch vertical, and may break the db arm length record. In addition, he power cleans 360 and bench presses 450 while running a sub 4.4. gtfoh. If he's there at pick 12 along with Nelson and vea, I wouldn't want to be in the Bengals war room. There's liable to be fights breaking out in there over who to pick.

I'm kind of leaning towards drafting him.

I think he's a playmaker that could take our defense to the next level and cover the tight ends of the division.

Imagine a team having to worry about Geno and then also having to have someone to account for him blitzing.

We need line help, but I think we can get that after the first round.
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2018, 01:50 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: I'm kind of leaning towards drafting him.

I think he's a playmaker that could take our defense to the next level and cover the tight ends of the division.

Imagine a team having to worry about Geno and then also having to have someone to account for him blitzing.

We need line help, but I think we can get that after the first round.
Yeah I think I'm leaning towards getting a playmaker I. The first then going oline 2nd and both thirds. Interior oline this draft is soooooo deep we can get interior studs well into the third round. Ivey Wynn, rangow we could get 2nd and thirds. And I love James he's my favorite prospect in the draft. But I think I'm leaning towards vea. I keep flipflopping between the 2, but he's 345 pounds rushes the passer like Geno and runs a 4.81 40. Imagine a line of vea atkins Dunlap Lawson. IDK man that first round pick war room is gonna be fire.
Reply/Quote
James will not be available at 12. I predict when it's all said and done, GM's aren't going to be able to help themselves after seeing James destroy the combine and he'll be drafted ahead of Fitzpatrick.
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2018, 01:36 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: James will not be available at 12. I predict when it's all said and done, GM's aren't going to be able to help themselves after seeing James destroy the combine and he'll be drafted ahead of Fitzpatrick.
IDK man. They said that hooker lattimore Allen and Howard were all top 10 locks and how did that turn out? I see James going in the 10-15 range right where we pick.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2018, 01:44 AM)Jpoore Wrote: IDK man. They said that hooker lattimore Allen and Howard were all top 10 locks and how did that turn out? I see James going in the 10-15 range right where we pick.

Agreed that even if there's a consensus top 10 pick by nearly everyone, there's still no guarantee that player will actually go in the top 10.
And I think a safety is now more probable now with Teryl Austin at DC given his background coaching DBs and having an emphasis on turnovers.
But I think that if a safety is taken, that safety will still be playing behind Williams and Iloka at least at the start of the season because Mike Brown prefers his higher paid players get playing time.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2018, 10:12 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Agreed that even if there's a consensus top 10 pick by nearly everyone, there's still no guarantee that player will actually go in the top 10.
And I think a safety is now more probable now with Teryl Austin at DC given his background coaching DBs and having an emphasis on turnovers.
But I think that if a safety is taken, that safety will still be playing behind Williams and Iloka at least at the start of the season because Mike Brown prefers his higher paid players get playing time.
True but by mid season I see at minimum half and half paying time ala pacman and wjiii
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2018, 01:36 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: James will not be available at 12. I predict when it's all said and done, GM's aren't going to be able to help themselves after seeing James destroy the combine and he'll be drafted ahead of Fitzpatrick.

Until they go back and watch a player that may be a better fit as a linebacker in the NFL.

I don't think that he goes in front of Fitzpartrick.  People talk about James like he's Sean Taylor, he's nowhere close in terms of production.  

I don't think there's any chance the Bengals draft a safety or OT at #12.  It's just not their style.  They (not me) feel that they still have two young tackles that will be maximized by one of the best O-line coaches in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
Depends how James tests. He is bigger than Peppers, but the same things were said about Peppers last year, and he ended up working out with the linebackers and went mid 20s.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2018, 05:04 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Until they go back and watch a player that may be a better fit as a linebacker in the NFL.

I don't think that he goes in front of Fitzpartrick.  People talk about James like he's Sean Taylor, he's nowhere close in terms of production.  

I don't think there's any chance the Bengals draft a safety or OT at #12.  It's just not their style.  They (not me) feel that they still have two young tackles that will be maximized by one of the best O-line coaches in the NFL.

Didn't the Bengals just have that guy on the roster a few years ago, when his name was Taylor Mays?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2018, 05:20 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Didn't the Bengals just have that guy on the roster a few years ago, when his name was Taylor Mays?

Na, Mays made his name with big hits in college that frankly weren't even legal in today's NFL. James can actually cover really well, I'd say he is more Kam Chancellor than Mays.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2018, 05:04 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Until they go back and watch a player that may be a better fit as a linebacker in the NFL.

He's exactly like Sean Taylor. His cover skills are a extremely underrated trait.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2018, 05:23 PM)Au165 Wrote: Na, Mays made his name with big hits in college that frankly weren't even legal in today's NFL. James can actually cover really well, I'd say he is more Kam Chancellor than Mays.

He is not Kam either. Kam ran a 4.60 with a 31” vert and played exclusively Safety in college. James will run a 4.4 and a 40+” vert, can play safety linebacker, corner and return punts/kicks.

He’s not exactly Sean Taylor either, not quite as good of ball skills, but Taylor is the closest comparison as far as size/speed, athleticism and versatility.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2018, 05:23 PM)Au165 Wrote: Na, Mays made his name with big hits in college that frankly weren't even legal in today's NFL. James can actually cover really well, I'd say he is more Kam Chancellor than Mays.

Yeah, he's got all the physical tools, along with some good film to back it up.  I would be stoked (quite surprised if the Bengals went S at 12) if he were to be our top pick.

Edit: After reading Hobson's latest piece, I could very well see the Bengals going with Safety at 12. As always he "hints" toward what the Bengals biggest needs are, and what he "thinks" they will do. He says LT and playmaking Safety are their biggest needs. I realize that I sort of downplayed James in an earlier post, but that was cynicism. I am too familiar with the Bengals bypassing the best S, LB, G, C on the board, in favor of one of their "premium" positions. If the Bengals broke a trend and did go Safety in the 1st, James would be a great selection.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
He will be going top 5 probably to Indy at 3.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2018, 09:45 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: He will be going top 5 probably to Indy at 3.

IDK about that.  They are high on Malik Hooker and Bradley Chubb is too good for them to pass on with their defensive line needs.   Top 5 maybe, but not to the Colts IMHO.  
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2018, 08:43 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: He is not Kam either. Kam ran a 4.60 with a 31” vert and played exclusively Safety in college. James will run a 4.4 and a 40+” vert, can play safety linebacker, corner and return punts/kicks.

He’s not exactly Sean Taylor either, not quite as good of ball skills, but Taylor is the closest comparison as far as size/speed, athleticism and versatility.

My point was more so his size and versatility, James is a better athlete for sure though. Seattle plays Chancellor as an "in the box safety" or an extra linebacker in the box who can bail out into deep zone or can play man on TE or slot guys. It is one of the things that makes their defense so good is his ability to play all over. 
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2018, 09:45 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: He will be going top 5 probably to Indy at 3.

I think the Colts snag Barkley if he is there to pair with Luck and try and take some of the pressure off him.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 09:29 AM)Au165 Wrote: My point was more so his size and versatility, James is a better athlete for sure though. Seattle plays Chancellor as an "in the box safety" or an extra linebacker in the box who can bail out into deep zone or can play man on TE or slot guys. It is one of the things that makes their defense so good is his ability to play all over. 
I see. Agreed.
(01-17-2018, 09:30 AM)Au165 Wrote: I think the Colts snag Barkley if he is there to pair with Luck and try and take some of the pressure off him.

Agree again. I wouldn't be surprised if the Giants pass on a QB and take hime at 2.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 09:30 AM)Au165 Wrote: I think the Colts snag Barkley if he is there to pair with Luck and try and take some of the pressure off him.

Barkely going number 1.
Reply/Quote