Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Derwin James scouting report
Not my scouting report a friend's.

Derwin James
Florida St S/LB #3
6’3 215

Pros:
Physical Freak - Should blow up combine: (Rumored #s) Big(215+), Fast(4.35), Strong(400s Bench, 600s Squat) Agile, Powerful(400s P. Clean), Frame - REALLY long arms, frame that can bulk, Run Support - As a tackler shows great technique and a love for getting in run support: takes on blockers exceptionally well, and has heavy hands, Coverage - Feels like a extra CB, fluid, technique is at a good point, can jam WRs & TEs at a high level (Heavy Hands), No stiffness in his play, Good nose for the ball - Elite decision making/reaction time, Versatility - Florida St lined Derwin up at SS/NB/CBILB/OLB/EDGE & Derwin has even played FS all at a good level - Derwin is a pure Defensive Weapon, Has lined up as a Pass Rusher an shown the ability to over power OTs, use his hands & also speed rush past lineman, Sees the field very well, Upside - Can bulk up even more and become a better player, Has flashed lockdown upside coverage on both WRs & TEs, Has flashed a perfect CB/LB hybrid to make a All-Pro SS, Great Instincts, 11 PDs this year, Shown good ability in both man and zone

Cons:
Play dropped off when Florida St talent dropped off - Teams singled him out, Has a tendency to get flat-footed in coverage, Needs to lower missed tackle % although it's not terrible, Head up more in tackling, Only 1 Interception in 3 years, Will need to grow his knowledge on how to use his length more in coverage, Knee Injury in 2016 missed 9-10 games, Needs to continue to gain consistency in technique

Elite Traits: Athletic Upside, Read & React, Versatility, Length, Run Support, Blitzing Ability, Hips

Pro Bowl Traits: Coverage Ability, Strength, Instincts

Position: Jackknife SS, Having him be a chess piece on Defense will maximize his upside

Bottom Line: Man I love Derwin, #1 player on my Big Board for a reason. His versatility is off the charts, his natural athleticism is off the charts, and his balance as a SS/LB is off the charts. I see a Day 1 impact, and a Low Risk High Reward player. He shows the ability to make run stops all over the field, and has shown the ability to lockdown in both man and zone coverage. Derwin’s upside surpasses his high level of play and as long as he stays out of trouble and healthy I see a Great Player in this league. Player Comp, closest thing is Landon Collins, but I see more upside in Derwin.

RD Grade: 1
Player Comp: Harrison Smith/Landon Collins

Lowest catch rate allowed among power 5 draft eligible safety's minumum 15 targets. 44.7 percent.
Reply/Quote
I miss Taylor Mays
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2018, 01:04 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I miss Taylor Mays

Derwin James is who we thought Taylor mays could be.
Reply/Quote

You’ve obviously never seen James play if you think he is anything like Taylor Mays. Besides all James’ physical traits, he ran the FSU defense as well making the play calls and pre snap adjustments for the secondary and linebackers.

I really doubt he’s going to run a sub 4.4 40 though.
Reply/Quote

Now THAT is funny! Hilarious
Reply/Quote
I am suprised this guy is rated so low in pre draft grades. He is the best non QB in draft and probably will go 3 or 4 overall come April.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2018, 09:58 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: I am suprised this guy is rated so low in pre draft grades. He is the best non QB in draft and probably will go 3 or 4 overall come April.

IDK about that. Saquon Barkley may disagree. The dude can be Barry Sanders. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-18-2018, 10:57 PM)bfine32 Wrote: IDK about that. Saquon Barkley may disagree. The dude can be Barry Sanders. 
They're both right there. If we were just going top 5 talent In the draft it would go 
Barkley
James
Chubb
Ward
Jackson
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2018, 02:28 AM)Jpoore Wrote: They're both right there. If we were just going top 5 talent In the draft it would go 
Barkley
James
Chubb
Ward
Jackson

A lot of people are calling Nelson one of the most talented players in the draft, just that guard is undervalued making it possible he falls a little lower. 
Do you disagree with that sentiment?

Fitzpatrick and Edwards not making the list is a little surprising as well.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2018, 09:54 PM)Jpoore Wrote: Not my scouting report a friend's.

Derwin James
Florida St S/LB #3
6’3 215

Pros:
Physical Freak - Should blow up combine: (Rumored #s) Big(215+), Fast(4.35), Strong(400s Bench, 600s Squat) Agile, Powerful(400s P. Clean), Frame - REALLY long arms, frame that can bulk, Run Support - As a tackler shows great technique and a love for getting in run support: takes on blockers exceptionally well, and has heavy hands, Coverage - Feels like a extra CB, fluid, technique is at a good point, can jam WRs & TEs at a high level (Heavy Hands), No stiffness in his play, Good nose for the ball - Elite decision making/reaction time, Versatility - Florida St lined Derwin up at SS/NB/CBILB/OLB/EDGE & Derwin has even played FS all at a good level - Derwin is a pure Defensive Weapon, Has lined up as a Pass Rusher an shown the ability to over power OTs, use his hands & also speed rush past lineman, Sees the field very well, Upside - Can bulk up even more and become a better player, Has flashed lockdown upside coverage on both WRs & TEs, Has flashed a perfect CB/LB hybrid to make a All-Pro SS, Great Instincts, 11 PDs this year, Shown good ability in both man and zone

Cons:
Play dropped off when Florida St talent dropped off - Teams singled him out, Has a tendency to get flat-footed in coverage, Needs to lower missed tackle % although it's not terrible, Head up more in tackling, Only 1 Interception in 3 years, Will need to grow his knowledge on how to use his length more in coverage, Knee Injury in 2016 missed 9-10 games, Needs to continue to gain consistency in technique

Elite Traits: Athletic Upside, Read & React, Versatility, Length, Run Support, Blitzing Ability, Hips

Pro Bowl Traits: Coverage Ability, Strength, Instincts

Position: Jackknife SS, Having him be a chess piece on Defense will maximize his upside

Bottom Line: Man I love Derwin, #1 player on my Big Board for a reason. His versatility is off the charts, his natural athleticism is off the charts, and his balance as a SS/LB is off the charts. I see a Day 1 impact, and a Low Risk High Reward player. He shows the ability to make run stops all over the field, and has shown the ability to lockdown in both man and zone coverage. Derwin’s upside surpasses his high level of play and as long as he stays out of trouble and healthy I see a Great Player in this league. Player Comp, closest thing is Landon Collins, but I see more upside in Derwin.

RD Grade: 1
Player Comp: Harrison Smith/Landon Collins

Lowest catch rate allowed among power 5 draft eligible safety's minumum 15 targets. 44.7 percent.

I'm up for drafting a safety high but I don't know about James...yes, he's an amazing athlete but I want a true , ball hawk center fielder type.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2018, 09:36 AM)sonofstat Wrote: I'm up for drafting a safety high but I don't know about James...yes, he's an amazing athlete but I want a true , ball hawk center fielder type.

That would be more along the lines of Minkah Fitzpatrick.    

James will be an interesting follow at the combine though.  
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2018, 08:49 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: A lot of people are calling Nelson one of the most talented players in the draft, just that guard is undervalued making it possible he falls a little lower. 

Nelson is by far the safest pick in the draft, the question becomes who is willing to take a guard in the top 10? If he starts sliding to the bottom side of the top 10 I'd consider going up for him just to ensure we get a bona fide starter day 1.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2018, 11:50 AM)Au165 Wrote: Nelson is by far the safest pick in the draft, the question becomes who is willing to take a guard in the top 10? If he starts sliding to the bottom side of the top 10 I'd consider going up for him just to ensure we get a bona fide starter day 1.

I don't normally get too wrapped up in a specific player going into the draft (not since I really wanted Sedrick Ellis back in the day as I thought he was what Geno is to us now...got that one wrong!)

...but if Nelson falls to us it makes a lot of sense and I would be delighted.

He would probably be best BPA , and for the OL where we need help (at any position in my opinion), plus we need the run game to get going ....no way we trade up for a OG but I personally would be tempted. Hope they don't reach for an average OT
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2018, 10:57 PM)bfine32 Wrote: IDK about that. Saquon Barkley may disagree. The dude can be Barry Sanders. 

Barry Sanders IDK about that but I think he could be Marshall Faulk good. Which is HOF so I don't know why I am arguing you on this. James sounds like a Rodney Lott/ Sean Taylor prospect though.  IDK you can't go wrong with either.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote

Come on man, Barkley can be stopped as long as you follow him. Saw this atleast twice last season.

He is not Barry.

(02-19-2018, 12:16 PM)sonofstat Wrote: I don't normally get too wrapped up in a specific player going into the draft (not since I really wanted Sedrick Ellis back in the day as I thought he was what Geno is to us now...got that one wrong!)

...but if Nelson falls to us it makes a lot of sense and I would be delighted.

He would probably be best BPA , and for the OL where we need help (at any position in my opinion), plus we need the run game to get going ....no way we trade up for a OG but I personally would be tempted. Hope they don't reach for an average OT

Was right there with you on Sedrick Ellis lol

Seems like a life away now. Just another example of the draft being a crapshoot.

Wanted to trade up for that guy.

Just hope what i saw in Billings actually comes to fruition. Hard to tell how a player will adapt to the NFL.

When they get injured everything is thrown out the window.
Reply/Quote
Speaking of Derwin, he is a guy i definately hope we have a shot at if we take care of the O-line.

We put ourselves in a terrible position. We need LT and Center early in the draft if we do not address them in FA.

Still think we need a LB like Roquan or Edmunds more than Safety though.

Shaw can be moved to Safety and Fej and Wilson are young.
Reply/Quote
There was a special on Rodney Harrison on the NFL Network tonight and the first thing I thought was "this is why I want James...... this is who James can be."

I love that he can play in the box, center field, or rush the passer. It's what Harrison could do.

We need to get a playmaker like him to pair with Atkins and Burfict because then it gets us playmakers on all three levels.

DRAFT JAMES!
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2018, 11:50 AM)Au165 Wrote: Nelson is by far the safest pick in the draft, the question becomes who is willing to take a guard in the top 10? If he starts sliding to the bottom side of the top 10 I'd consider going up for him just to ensure we get a bona fide starter day 1.

Really want a Tackle or LBer. 

But if Nelson falls think we have to grab him. 

Do not see him falling all the way to our pick though. Think he may slide some but if it goes to far someone will make a move for him via trade right before Bengals pick. 

Like a few years back when we needed WR's per losing Sanu and Jones and there were 3 prospects that fit the bill Coleman, Treadwell, and Doctson I think. It appeared and they were falling to us except for Coleman only to see 3 WR's taken right before our pick with 2 coming from trade ups.  

Teams seem to do this to the Bengals often. 

Believe it was a godsend for Bengals this particular draft because we took WJIII who think will be better than any of them.  

Long story short, think Nelson will be gone but hope he is not. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2018, 08:49 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: A lot of people are calling Nelson one of the most talented players in the draft, just that guard is undervalued making it possible he falls a little lower. 

Edmunds was 6 for me. Fitpatrick is versatile but to me he's a CB at next level and he's the third best CB in this class. And if u know me I completely disagree with the nelson situation. I don't believe, in fact I would stake my car on it, that Nelson isn't the best guard in this class. It's will Hernandez.
(02-19-2018, 09:36 AM)sonofstat Wrote: I'm up for drafting a safety high but I don't know about James...yes, he's an amazing athlete but I want a true , ball hawk center fielder type.
He's a ball hawk, but he wasn't thrown at a ton. He has the ball skills to be a 6-8 int a year guy. But more importantly he's gonna be a guy to cover rbs and tes.
(02-19-2018, 11:21 AM)Goalpost Wrote: That would be more along the lines of Minkah Fitzpatrick.    

James will be an interesting follow at the combine though.  
Minkah is a CB at the NFL level Imo. He can play fs as well which makes him.higher than the CBS who are better than him. But most of the time he'll be a CB.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2018, 09:35 AM)Jpoore Wrote: Minkah is a CB at the NFL level Imo. He can play fs as well which makes him.higher than the CBS who are better than him. But most of the time he'll be a CB.

There are varying opinions.  I'd want him as a fs.  Many compare him to a larger Honey Badger.  
Reply/Quote